Jump to content

Community

Could this sentence be improved?


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, EnzoC said:

This is just your personal thought and you can't bring it back for others. I started with the translation of version 3 and if you don't care about the translation in ACP to others it might be interesting, in fact I didn't pretend to have the solution only for us Italians, but most possible users and all nationalities. I hope you have acapito too, otherwise I can explain it to you.

Sì, ho capito. Quello che non capisce, sei tu. It doesn't matter at all to me whether somebody might be interested in a translated ACP in my language; it's not for sale because it's not finished and I don't want to spend hundreds of hours finishing the translation. In the very unlikely case that somebody wanted my language, I still wouldn't sell the language pack on the Marketplace. It's not worth it to me to spend hundreds of hours translating extra language strings.

I doubt I'm the only person who feels that way. If it were possible to sell a language as "front only", then maybe more people would make their own packs available. But it's just not worth it to have to do so much extra work for very little money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's written perfectly appropriately for English and in a way which indicates that you can distinguish plurality if translating. I don't see why the English should be rewritten with a needless distinc

I repeat once again, if IPS is intended only for the English mother tongue is fine with your reasoning, but if it is intended to serve more languages, then IPS must implement this, or could find a mid

It’s a matter of logic, consistency and efficiency. The English phrase is constructed for English. The special requirements for other languages are added to the translations (and the translators need

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

Yes, that is the main problem. Translations should not be offered in an open market place like they are currently. It needs to be closed off with a set price and approved translators who will be willing to keep translations up to date for a fair return on their investment. 

You're really great, it's my own thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

Yes, that is the main problem.

Now now, Tom; that was just my personal thought and I can't bring it back for others 😉

2 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

It needs to be closed off with a set price and approved translators who will be willing to keep translations up to date for a fair return on their investment. 

And therein lies the problem:

1) IPS can't guarantee that approved translators will stick around,

2) Just because something's for sale, doesn't mean it will sell. I doubt anybody else in the world would want my language ... but if they did, I'd have to charge hundreds if the goal were getting a fair return for the hours invested, so wouldn't make a single sale anyway. Things might be different for larger languages, but they're already for sale.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, EnzoC said:

it is more important to make the translations as simple as possible for all languages

Yes. And the change you want does NOT achieve that. It would make things worse (for other languages). That was proven and explained to you several times now by several people. But you just ignore it over and over again. Even when I specifically and repeatedly point you to the proof and ask you to read, understand and address it.

I’m putting you on my block list now. It’s a colossal waste of time trying to reason against such a level of ignorance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

Sì, ho capito. Quello che non capisce, sei tu. It doesn't matter at all to me whether somebody might be interested in a translated ACP in my language; it's not for sale because it's not finished and I don't want to spend hundreds of hours finishing the translation. In the very unlikely case that somebody wanted my language, I still wouldn't sell the language pack on the Marketplace. It's not worth it to me to spend hundreds of hours translating extra language strings.

I doubt I'm the only person who feels that way. If it were possible to sell a language as "front only", then maybe more people would make their own packs available. But it's just not worth it to have to do so much extra work for very little money. 

Translating over a thousand sentences for you is nothing, but for me it's a lot of work. You know what we say in Italy, "Not even the dog moves its tail for nothing" and if you don't understand it I'll explain it to you. Once I did the translations for free, and many users showed no gratitude, in the end I decided to make it pay and both criticism and gradualness began. However, you can't expect all translators to do the same as you, if you make it free you can do it, but you can't recommend it to others, since there is so much work to do.

4 minutes ago, opentype said:

Yes. And the change you want does NOT achieve that. It would make things worse (for other languages). That was proven and explained to you several times now by several people. But you just ignore it over and over again. Even when I specifically and repeatedly point you to the proof and ask you to read, understand and address it.

I’m putting you on my block list now. It’s a colossal waste of time trying to reason against such a level of ignorance.  

Just make small talk, fbarber wrote that the two strings are the same thing and therefore feasible. Before intervening in such a long discussion, it would be useful to read all the comments and then type on the keyboard.

7 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

Now now, Tom; that was just my personal thought and I can't bring it back for others 😉

And therein lies the problem:

1) IPS can't guarantee that approved translators will stick around,

2) Just because something's for sale, doesn't mean it will sell. I doubt anybody else in the world would want my language ... but if they did, I'd have to charge hundreds if the goal were getting a fair return for the hours invested, so wouldn't make a single sale anyway. Things might be different for larger languages, but they're already for sale. 

it is easy to solve the problem you expose, make the translation yourself, so you avoid paying it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bfarber said:

If so, I see no point. As you, yourself, point out - it translates identically in English, so why add extra overhead and processing unnecessarily (and frankly, a majority of our clients speak English so that overhead adds up collectively). 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

Now now, Tom; that was just my personal thought and I can't bring it back for others 😉

And therein lies the problem:

1) IPS can't guarantee that approved translators will stick around,

2) Just because something's for sale, doesn't mean it will sell. I doubt anybody else in the world would want my language ... but if they did, I'd have to charge hundreds if the goal were getting a fair return for the hours invested, so wouldn't make a single sale anyway. Things might be different for larger languages, but they're already for sale.

Totally agree that for less common languages it would be hard to make work. But for common languages it should be easy to create a decent return.

If an approved translator quits, it just opens a spot for another to apply.

In fact, in my mind the point where you buy a translation should be at this stage:

image.thumb.png.8d8af94d23f968d94652fd62768cd177.png

And the translations would have renewals as well.

Then the approved translator would get early access to the new string set for every new release so that the translations could be available day 1 of version releases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EnzoC said:

Translating over a thousand sentences for you is nothing, but for me it's a lot of work. You know what we say in Italy, "Not even the dog moves its tail for nothing" and if you don't understand it I'll explain it to you. Once I did the translations for free, and many users showed no gratitude, in the end I decided to make it pay and both criticism and gradualness began. However, you can't expect all translators to do the same as you, if you make it free you can do it, but you can't recommend it to others, since there is so much work to do.

Enzo, non hai capito niente di ciò che ho scritto! (Devo respondere in inglese altremente nessuno potrà leggerlo | I have to write my answer in English unfortunately because otherwise other people won't understand.)

I said the same thing! My language pack is not available on the Marketplace. It's personal. I'm the only person who uses it. Translating is too much work. That's why I haven't done every language string. I've only done the language strings which show on the front. It's not worth the trouble translating it when nobody will buy it. (Siccome nessuno non lo comprerà, non vale la pena di tradurrlo.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

Enzo, non hai capito niente di ciò che ho scritto! (Devo respondere in inglese altremente nessuno potrà leggerlo | I have to write my answer in English unfortunately because otherwise other people won't understand.)

I said the same thing! My language pack is not available on the Marketplace. It's personal. I'm the only person who uses it. Translating is too much work. That's why I haven't done every language string. I've only done the language strings which show on the front. It's not worth the trouble translating it when nobody will buy it. (Siccome nessuno non lo comprerà, non vale la pena di tradurrlo.) 

Sei Italiano?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

Non, sono inglese ma studiavo italiano quando ero più giovane perché credo che sia la più bella lingua del mondo. Ho appena riuscito parlare la lingua nella vita, solamente quando visitiamo il tuo bellissima paese.

Ah, ok, then you should have understood my problem. Thanks for the compliments, ours is a beautiful country, but believe me, not because you live at a political level and not only.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners. See more about cookies and our Privacy Policy