Could this sentence be improved?

EnzoC

The key is this: "no tification__new_comme nt" and the phrase is this: "{! # [?:%s commented on]}%s", I ask you if it would not be better to have a sentence that indicates if more a user responds to the comment. I would insert it like this: "%s {! # [1: commented] [?: commented]} on %s Please note that in many languages there is a single and a plural.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's written perfectly appropriately for English and in a way which indicates that you can distinguish plurality if translating. I don't see why the English should be rewritten with a needless distinction when there's no difference between singular and plural. If you're translating, then you can see that it's possible to make a distinction for number if it's required.

1 hour ago, Meddysong said:

It's written perfectly appropriately for English and in a way which indicates that you can distinguish plurality if translating. I don't see why the English should be rewritten with a needless distinction when there's no difference between singular and plural. If you're translating, then you can see that it's possible to make a distinction for number if it's required. 

So it's simple, IPS developed and sold software only for English and not for other nationalities, but I wonder what kind of speech you are doing, if they insert the string that I have recommended, it is good for everyone and not just for the British.

1 hour ago, Black Tiger said:

I'm not native English, but you're quite correct. It is indeed written in correct English, so it's a language based issue which should be adjusted in the translations. 

Thanks for your answer, what I wrote is just a tip for software developers. We can not become crazy to please Italians who buy IPS applications, but this is not only valid for Italians, but also for those who are not native English speakers.

Thanks for your answer, what I wrote is just a tip for software developers. We can not become crazy to please Italians who buy IPS applications, but this is not only valid for Italians, but also for those who are not native English speakers.

Thank you for your insight and I do understand what you mean. But here are lots of things which are different. For example the "you" can also have different meanings in other country's.

Like in Italian (if I'm not mistaken) this can mean "tu" or "tutti" wel in Dutch in any case it can be informal "jij" or formal "u" or multple persons like "jullie", where British use "you" in the states you often here "you all" if it's meant for multiple persons.

It's just my 2 thoughts that you there are a lot more of those kind of translations. If you start with one like this, that is nice, but if they start with one, where will it end? If then translation is done well the translator sees instantly that it has to be adjusted.

But ofcourse, I wouldn't mind if IPS would implement it. 😉

30 minutes ago, EnzoC said:

So it's simple, IPS developed and sold software only for English and not for other nationalities, but I wonder what kind of speech you are doing, if they insert the string that I have recommended, it is good for everyone and not just for the British.

The language string is set up with the option for a translator to add pluralisation. If the approach were "Nah, we'll force people to use English grammar", then the code would've been written as a straight language string rather than ready for adaptation.

15 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

Like in Italian (if I'm not mistaken) this can mean "tu" or "tutti

Tu, voi, Lei, Loro. The whole range, each with a different conjugation 🙂

25 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

The language string is set up with the option for a translator to add pluralisation. If the approach were "Nah, we'll force people to use English grammar", then the code would've been written as a straight language string rather than ready for adaptation. 

Tu, voi, Lei, Loro. The whole range, each with a different conjugation 🙂

I repeat once again, if IPS is intended only for the English mother tongue is fine with your reasoning, but if it is intended to serve more languages, then IPS must implement this, or could find a middle ground that will suit everyone, the suggestions go always listen, otherwise soon IPS could be abandoned by the Italians if Luigi and I finish doing the translations for this forum, it is good that IPS relieves us, many sites have already passed to the competition.

40 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

Thank you for your insight and I do understand what you mean. But here are lots of things which are different. For example the "you" can also have different meanings in other country's.

Like in Italian (if I'm not mistaken) this can mean "tu" or "tutti" wel in Dutch in any case it can be informal "jij" or formal "u" or multple persons like "jullie", where British use "you" in the states you often here "you all" if it's meant for multiple persons.

It's just my 2 thoughts that you there are a lot more of those kind of translations. If you start with one like this, that is nice, but if they start with one, where will it end? If then translation is done well the translator sees instantly that it has to be adjusted.

But ofcourse, I wouldn't mind if IPS would implement it. 😉

Hello
Imagine only if we no longer provide the Italian translation, in your opinion how many users in Italy will continue to use IPS? We are only two in Italy to do the translation and personally and also my friend Luigi is getting tired of all these problems and we can not every time there is a new version to start from scratch the translation with over 1000 sentences. At this moment I have seven pages of translation that I should delete, but I do not know how to do it, IPS should invent something, like a query to eliminate them.

12 minutes ago, EnzoC said:

if it is intended to serve more languages, then IPS must implement this

IPS must implement what? Add Italian-specific pluralization structure into their English language pack? I really don't understand what you are waiting from IPS. They provided you a complete set of tools to translate this specific key.

If you want to read more about pluralization and replacements syntax, check out these articles:

39 minutes ago, Ilya Hoilik said:

IPS must implement what? Add Italian-specific pluralization structure into their English language pack? I really don't understand what you are waiting from IPS. They provided you a complete set of tools to translate this specific key.

If you want to read more about pluralization and replacements syntax, check out these articles: 

Ilya, maybe you did not understand, I did not start this discussion regarding the plural, but from how you set a certain sentence, and I inserted the solution that could be good for both English and not only, just to set the dates that in English you read on the contrary compared to Italian, to adapt them, you have to completely distort the phrase and its variables "% s", then I think you could adapt, where all languages were possible or explain to different users of different nationalities how to operate as vBulletin did in its day. Next time it would be useful to read my comments well before replying.

This sentence is not adaptable to the plural as this link explains:

{!#[?:%s commented on]} %s

This instead, as I modified it, would be good both in English and in Italian, just try

%s {!#[1:commented] [?:commented]} on %s

As you can see the sentence was completely overturned compared to what this article explains:

Go read

These two strings will give you completely the same output:

{!#[?:%s commented on]} %s

%s {!#[1:commented][?:commented]} on %s

6 minutes ago, EnzoC said:

This instead, as I modified it, would be good both in English and in Italian

No, because there is no need to provide extra block for number one in English. You always must create as minimum blocks as possible.

Imagine only if we no longer provide the Italian translation, in your opinion how many users in Italy will continue to use IPS?

Sorry but that's a non-argument, because all translations are done voluntarily just like the Dutch translation, which is 1 person who makes the translation, so what if he stops, you think a lot of boards in the Netherlands will stop using IPS? Didn't think so.

12 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

{!#[1:%s ha commentato][?:%s hanno commentato]} su %s

%s = "Meddysong" or "Meddysong, Ilya Hoilik and 3 others" etc.

With the original variable it would read like this:

Luigi e Vincenzo ha commentato in

in this way the plural does not exist, but if I insert the modified variable I read:

Luigi e Vincenzo hanno commentato in

HA is singular, HANNO is plural, that's why just change the sentence

13 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

Sorry but that's a non-argument, because all translations are done voluntarily just like the Dutch translation, which is 1 person who makes the translation, so what if he stops, you think a lot of boards in the Netherlands will stop using IPS? Didn't think so. 

So tell me, in your opinion, if the Dutch do not have their translation, how many would buy IPS, give me a percentage, since I do not think that all Dutch speak and write correctly in English.

5 minutes ago, EnzoC said:

I would like you to explain what the difference is in English between this sentence {!#[?:%s commented on]} %s and %s {!#[1:commented] [?:commented]} on %s

It’s a matter of logic, consistency and efficiency. The English phrase is constructed for English. The special requirements for other languages are added to the translations (and the translators need to learn how to do that). You want a change the merely benefits the translators of certain languages, which makes no sense. And it doesn’t even work, since following that approach, the English original would have to take EVERY possibility of every language into account to prepare the statements as you showed in that one example. 

the biggest problem is with reactions.

if imposed the plural in this way %s {!# [1:ha reagito][?:hanno reagito]} qui putting two I like written appears  Tu e vincendo hanno reagito qui and it is wrong. The correct phrase is Tu e Vincenzo avete reagito qui

Changing the code again to set the correct phrase for two people %s {!# [1:ha reagito][?:avete reagito]} qui there comes a third person and he'll read Luigi e Vincenzo avete reagito qui and it is wrong. The correct phrase is Luigi e Vincenzo hanno reagito qui

Be careful now because leaving the code that way, if the third person reacts, from that moment on he will read correctly Tu, Luigi e Vincenzo avete reagito qui

I hope you understand the problem. Hello everyone 

Edit: sorry: The original key was this for the reactions %s {!# [?:reacted]} to this

21 minutes ago, opentype said:

It’s a matter of logic, consistency and efficiency. The English phrase is constructed for English. The special requirements for other languages are added to the translations (and the translators need to learn how to do that). You want a change the merely benefits the translators of certain languages, which makes no sense. And it doesn’t even work, since following that approach, the English original would have to take EVERY possibility of every language into account to prepare the statements as you showed in that one example. 

hat sentence will also be built for the English, but the one that I have inserted gives the same result. In this way you can also manage the other languages, IPS does not cost anything, but I had to do the somersaults to be able to translate into Italian, this is the difference.

4 minutes ago, ThunderBlue said:

the biggest problem is with reactions.

if imposed the plural in this way %s {!# [1:ha reagito][?:hanno reagito]} qui putting two I like written appears  Tu e vincendo hanno reagito qui and it is wrong. The correct phrase is Tu e Vincenzo avete reagito qui

Changing the code again to set the correct phrase for two people %s {!# [1:ha reagito][?:avete reagito]} qui there comes a third person and he'll read Luigi e Vincenzo avete reagito qui and it is wrong. The correct phrase is Luigi e Vincenzo hanno reagito qui

Be careful now because leaving the code that way, if the third person reacts, from that moment on he will read correctly Tu, Luigi e Vincenzo avete reagito qui

I hope you understand the problem. Hello everyone 

This is what they did not understand, just enter our sentence, it is good for both English and Italian, but also for other languages.

1 minute ago, Ilya Hoilik said:

@ThunderBlue

%s {!# [1:ha][2:avete][?:hanno]} reagito qui

• One person: Tu ha reagito qui
  • Two persons: Tu e Mark avete reagito qui
  • Three and more persons: Tu, Brandon e Mark hanno reagito qui

Correct?

first and second person see correct. The third person reads wrong, but if he reacts he sees correct. I should add a number for each person who reacts for having corrected and is not possible

The problem, I think, is these reminders. react_blurb_you   and  react_blurb_you_and_others

calling the name of the user instead of you, maybe the problem would be solved 

three Luigi, Enzo e Fabio hanno reagito qui 

two Luigi e Enzo hanno reagito qui

one Luigi ha reagito qui

and as the only code this  %s {!# [1:ha reagito][?:hanno reagito]} qui

So tell me, in your opinion, if the Dutch do not have their translation, how many would buy IPS, give me a percentage, since I do not think that all Dutch speak and write correctly in English.

Again, that is no point of consideration, because translations are made by volunteers. And in case of the Dutch... English is a mandatory class in the Netherlands. So most do know English fairly well.

Anyway I don't mind, I just wanted to state my opinion that you can't expect a forum software creator to keep any of these differences in mind for so many different languages.

12 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

Anyway I don't mind, I just wanted to state my opinion that you can't expect a forum software creator to keep any of these differences in mind for so many different languages.

I don't think replacing a you with a user name would be that uncomfortable. Yet it would solve a problem for all the languages of the world. A very trivial word, my friend.

bye😉

Archived