Jump to content

Lazyloading of post attachments in 4.4.1 not working


The Old Man
 Share

Recommended Posts

I upgraded my main site from 4.3.6 to 4.4.1 using the full package zip download earlier today.

Once all tasks had completed, I enabled Lazyloading and it took what seemed forever to rebuild about 1.5 hours), despite my cloud VPS server having access to 48 unlocked available CPU's and 6GB of RAM. It may be because my files are hosted on S3/Cloudfront. I noticed it said on the progress bar about 122,000 files, but it got to around 95,000 and it just suddenly completed as I was looking at it.

I use grid view and have images uploaded as attachments in several of my forum descriptions, which I then centre to fit the width of the container using CSS.

After everything had settled down, I realised that the images in my forum descriptions were no longer showing, but they are properly visible in the AdminCP when editing a forum description that contains an uploaded image.

I'm currently transferring my attachment files (about 4200 in total) back to my server, to see if it fixes the issue. After 30 minutes I'm only around 18%/800 files done.

  • Has anyone else noticed this with post attachments and lazyloading enabled?
  • Why are S3 file transfers slow in IPS?

Many thanks.

Edited by The Old Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

I upgraded my main site from 4.3.6 to 4.4.1 using the full package zip download earlier today.

Once all tasks had completed, I enabled Lazyloading and it took what seemed forever to rebuild about 1.5 hours), despite my cloud VPS server having access to 48 unlocked available CPU's and 6GB of RAM. It may be because my files are hosted on S3/Cloudfront. I noticed it said on the progress bar about 122,000 files, but it got to around 95,000 and it just suddenly completed as I was looking at it.

I use grid view and have images uploaded as attachments in several of my forum descriptions, which I then centre to fit the width of the container using CSS.

After everything had settled down, I realised that the images in my forum descriptions were no longer showing, but they are properly visible in the AdminCP when editing a forum description that contains an uploaded image.

I'm currently transferring my attachment files (about 4200 in total) back to my server, to see if it fixes the issue. After 30 minutes I'm only around 18%/800 files done.

  • Has anyone else noticed this with post attachments and lazyloading enabled?
  • Why are S3 file transfers slow in IPS?

Many thanks.

The lazy load images not working in forum descriptions is an issue that's fixed in the upcoming release of 4.4.2. Moving your files will not make any difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is an update for 4.4.1 which I just applied, but unfortunately it hasn't addressed the broken images throughout my forum descriptions. Had my fingers crossed!

Quote

You are running the latest version, but an optional update is available to address the following issues:

  • an issue with MySQL read/write separation, and improves security in Commerce.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Alismora said:

We’re having similar issues right now. Images and attachments posted in warnings, custom pages, and some status updates just display a grayed out box or an empty space.  The issue goes away when I turn lazy loading off. 

 

I hope 4.4.2 fixes more than just forum attachments. 

Yes, this was fixed for warnings and status updates. Could you clarify what you mean with custom pages? Custom IP.Pages content? If yes, you'll probably need to update your templates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I hadn't noticed any other issues but will go check Pages. For info, I put a ticket in yesterday for the forum description attachments issue asking if the fix in 4.4.2 could be released as a quick fix in the Support Tool. I was advised not as it had to be properly tested first, and to turn off lazy loading instead until the issue was resolved.

IMHO I suppose it's no biggie, we didn't have it before until now and it's a nice to have, rather than critical must have.

I do think it would be useful if IPS could publicly restore the bug tracker though, so that people can be aware if there's a current issue and what's being done about it, even if staff only can log issues and clients group had a simple 'Me Too' react button. 

Edited by The Old Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Daniel F said:

Yes, this was fixed for warnings and status updates. Could you clarify what you mean with custom pages? Custom IP.Pages content? If yes, you'll probably need to update your templates.

Yes, custom pages made with the Pages app.  The images won't load or they will take several minutes to load no matter the size of the image.  We have a custom page that's text with an image up top and that image won't load.  I don't know what you mean by updating my templates exactly.

Edited by Alismora
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you used an editor, and lazy loading was enabled, then the image was swapped out for lazy loading and needs a special wrapper in order for that to happen. 

We have fixed several core/built in areas for our next release (4.4.2) already, so it might be worth waiting for 4.4.2 and then submitting a ticket if you still have trouble. It may be a situation where it should be handled automatically, or it may require you to tweak a custom template, but we'll likely need to look at any remaining areas that were missed to know for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, USCJ Digital said:

Is it in the foreseeable future? 🙏☺️ Ballpark?

@bfarber Do you recommend during Lazy Loading off in the interim? Any danger of flipping that switch off and then on again?

I turned my off and plan on leaving it off til .2 is released. I haven’t noticed any issues from doing it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Alismora said:

I turned my off and plan on leaving it off til .2 is released. I haven’t noticed any issues from doing it. 

Good to know. The only thing it is really impacting for us are graphics, etc. in calendar events. And I do like the speedier load times, so trying to balance my decision based on when .42 is actually going to be released ... 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I probably would not disable lazy loading for the mean time. You could certainly do so, but if you rebuild when you turn it off and again when you turn it on, that's a lot of extra processing for your server for a small(-ish) bug in the interim. Ultimately it's up to you though to determine what's important for your site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2019 at 8:49 AM, bfarber said:

Personally, I probably would not disable lazy loading for the mean time. You could certainly do so, but if you rebuild when you turn it off and again when you turn it on, that's a lot of extra processing for your server for a small(-ish) bug in the interim. Ultimately it's up to you though to determine what's important for your site.

My community is an art community, so we use a lot of resources for artwork and other related images all over the place.  It wouldn't be beneficial for me personally to keep it on for the time being since multiple areas of our site display attachments and embedded links as gray boxes or just empty white space.  Forum posts seem to be the only content unaffected for me (generously speaking). 

It may be a lot of extra processing, but I'd rather go through that trouble later than deal with members and staff angry that they can't view their attachments or embedded links, especially since I cannot give anyone an ETA on when .2 is officially released. 

Edited by Alismora
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2019 at 9:03 PM, Alismora said:

My community is an art community, so we use a lot of resources for artwork and other related images all over the place.  It wouldn't be beneficial for me personally to keep it on for the time being since multiple areas of our site display attachments and embedded links as gray boxes or just empty white space.  Forum posts seem to be the only content unaffected for me (generously speaking). 

It may be a lot of extra processing, but I'd rather go through that trouble later than deal with members and staff angry that they can't view their attachments or embedded links, especially since I cannot give anyone an ETA on when .2 is officially released. 

It should be noted that the missing images right now are ONLY in very select specific places. They obviously work fine in areas like the forums and Gallery, but are not working correctly in calendar events and forum descriptions (as well as a few other fairly niche areas that you are not likely to encounter issues with).

In other words, lazy loading isn't broken across the board, which is where my recommendation stems from. As well as the fact that 4.4.2 is already available for beta testing and will be released before long, so we're not looking at a month or two before the fix is generally available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...