Chrome Users Can't Access Forums After 4.4.1 Upgrade

Rheddy

This is a new issue that was just brought to my attention. Before I upgraded to IPS 4.4.1, I was running with IPS 4.2.3 with nobody experiencing problems. However, one of my members informed me that while they can access my website (I have IP.Content/Pages running the content portion of my site) he can't access the forums. Pages loads outside the forums as the homepage to my site "https://www.domain.com" whereas my forums run from domain.com/board.

I generally go through the list of suspects (clearing browser cache, deleting temporary internet files) and so on but other than that, I don't have a clue. I have run into issues where some members experience problems with huge white spaces while other users experience no problems at all. Since I don't use Chrome (Firefox by default), I couldn't begin to tell where the problem is. I've also ran into issues where one user will experience a problem with posting on the site, but when I log into their account, the problem isn't there.

1 minute ago, Rheddy said:

This is a new issue that was just brought to my attention. Before I upgraded to IPS 4.4.1, I was running with IPS 4.2.3 with nobody experiencing problems. However, one of my members informed me that while they can access my website (I have IP.Content/Pages running the content portion of my site) he can't access the forums. Pages loads outside the forums as the homepage to my site "https://www.domain.com" whereas my forums run from domain.com/board.

I generally go through the list of suspects (clearing browser cache, deleting temporary internet files) and so on but other than that, I don't have a clue. I have run into issues where some members experience problems with huge white spaces while other users experience no problems at all. Since I don't use Chrome (Firefox by default), I couldn't begin to tell where the problem is. I've also ran into issues where one user will experience a problem with posting on the site, but when I log into their account, the problem isn't there.

I've noticed, too, that running IPS on Chrome since the release of 4.4.1 that it isn't as fast-moving, either. It seems like a 4.4.2 patch might be needed.

Well, sometimes what affects one user doesn't affect another user. That it seems to be totally random where the browser issue rears its ugly head. If it is a Chrome-related issue, hopefully we can get a response if this is actually a reported issue.

2 minutes ago, Platinumwealth.co.za said:

2 users, that we know off.

Who is the second one? The second user in this topic made a completely different statement than the first—and essentially just described a “feeling”, which might just be wrong. I doubt that 4.4.1 introduced Chrome related speed changes that need “fixing”. 

24 minutes ago, Platinumwealth.co.za said:

I am about to upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4.1 can a staff member perhaps confirm this?

@Joel R maybe?

I'm more like an unpaid community volunteer than a real staff member. 😀

However, if you carefully read the above posts, the first post referred to an issue where the forums and homepage were in separate directories.  The second referrred to potentially slower loading.  Those are some really different issues so it's difficult to identify a chronic issue from those two cases.  

You may want to wait until next week anyways (Friday is always a bad day to upgrade due to the weekend). 

2 hours ago, opentype said:

Who is the second one? The second user in this topic made a completely different statement than the first—and essentially just described a “feeling”, which might just be wrong. I doubt that 4.4.1 introduced Chrome related speed changes that need “fixing”. 

Well, I never said it was widespread. Right now, I only have one member informing me of this problem, and the reason I posted here, was to look or a solution. Then, someone else posted they had a similar problem with Firefox (with a previous IPS release, maybe)? I didn't know I would set someone else when I posted this, looking for a legitimate solution. I'm still looking for a solution and the user who reported it to me on my site is still experiencing the problem. I'm waiting to see if the user has the same problem with other web browsers. I just think someone read too much into what I posted ... 🤗

Honestly? I've kind of mellowed out in the past year from creating conflict so I honestly think that I posted my issue quite well. But, I'm also wondering if this problem with my user is with the Chrome browser and not with IPS. Because I'm not really hearing from anyone else among my community over this. If it was more widespread, like a dozen users in my community reporting the same thing then it would be something for me to ask IPS about in a support ticket. But, these issues regarding problems that happen after an upgrade has only ever affected a single user.

This wouldn't be the first time where one of my users reported a hiccup with the forum software on my site after I went through an upgrade or patch that was released by IPS.

@opentype I was able to kind of fix the difficulty that user of mine was having. I suggested he try other browsers, even the "privacy window" feature that most web browsers have. He's able to log into the forums now. Although, I don't suspect that is what was intended in order to log in. But, at least there's a sort of workaround for it.

I, and many of my colleagues, regularly use Chrome for browsing and development, so I can absolutely assure you it is very well tested and there is no global issue with Chrome itself. In fact, amongst staff here, Firefox has far less testing coverage than Chrome in day to day development.

That said, it sounds like this is an issue just for that one user. I would recommend that the user

1) Completely clear their browsing data, at least for your site. This includes cache and cookies, as well as any locally stored data.

2) Have the user completely disable browser plugins

3) Then try again. Assuming things work, they can start enabling browser plugins one by one to see if one of them was causing an issue, which is the probable cause of their problems.

Archived