Unable to Post, PM After 4.4.1 Update!

Since updating to 4.4.1, myself and my co-admin are unable to post or send private messages on our board. The text area will not load, and it does not allow us to type anything. I attempted to disable attachments, which I would hope would disable this, however, it has not. This did not happen until an update to 4.4.1. Even 4.4.0 did not have this error. Is there a way to fix this? See image below for example!

spacer.png

Try contacting support. They should be able to resolve the issue for you. It's probably just an easy fix for them. I had a problem with guests posting after my upgrade and that there was a new option since I upgraded the last time that over-rode Guest permissions and it had me stumped until I was pointed in the right direction.

Edited by Rheddy

8 minutes ago, Rheddy said:

Try contacting support. They should be able to resolve the issue for you. It's probably just an easy fix for them. I had a problem with guests posting after my upgrade and that there was a new option since I upgraded the last time that over-rode Guest permissions and it had me stumped until I was pointed in the right direction.

Do I do that in the "Client Area" on here, or through my Admin CP?

15 minutes ago, MNOfficial said:

Do I do that in the "Client Area" on here, or through my Admin CP?

Click on the "Client Area" link at the top of any page here on the IPS site (like this link: https://www.invisioncommunity.com/clientarea/), then click on the Support tab and open a new support ticket (New Request). The "Client Area" link can be found at the top of any page on the IPS site, even on the forums and in the marketplace. 😄

Edited by Rheddy

2 minutes ago, Rheddy said:

Click on the "Client Area" link at the top of any page here on the IPS site (like this link: https://www.invisioncommunity.com/clientarea/), then click on the Support tab and open a new support ticket (New Request). The "Client Area" link can be found at the top of any page on the IPS site, even on the forums and in the marketplace. 😄

I found it! Thank you! Hoping I can get this issue resolved, because, you know, we gotta be able to post!

In a situation like this, be sure to first try running the support tool in the AdminCP. This tool checks for many common issues and clears various caches, which very well could be the cause of your problem. If your issue is not resolved after running the support tool, you can also submit a ticket right from the AdminCP at the end of the support tool process.

12 minutes ago, bfarber said:

In a situation like this, be sure to first try running the support tool in the AdminCP. This tool checks for many common issues and clears various caches, which very well could be the cause of your problem. If your issue is not resolved after running the support tool, you can also submit a ticket right from the AdminCP at the end of the support tool process.

That's the thing, I can't do that, because I am unable to type out the support ticket, due to this error. So, I applied for on in the client area here. The only issue "Support" found was that I do not have a Zip PHP installed.

Edited by MNOfficial

3 hours ago, MNOfficial said:

I found it! Thank you! Hoping I can get this issue resolved, because, you know, we gotta be able to post!

You're welcome. When I use support, it depends on how serious the issue is that determines if I post for help here on the forums first or just bypass and go straight to support if the issue is serious. The problems related to the forum software usually only come up during an upgrade or up to a few days after the upgrade has been completed. But, these things are expected. This time around, the issues I had started when the auto upgrade tool failed. Oh, it downloaded the upgrade, extracted it, and then ran into a critical error when it tried to upgrade, forcing me to manually upgrade and then asking for support over for two days afterwards to resolve the smaller issues that cropped up. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, Rheddy said:

You're welcome. When I use support, it depends on how serious the issue is that determines if I post for help here on the forums first or just bypass and go straight to support if the issue is serious. The problems related to the forum software usually only come up during an upgrade or up to a few days after the upgrade has been completed. But, these things are expected. This time around, the issues I had started when the auto upgrade tool failed. Oh, it downloaded the upgrade, extracted it, and then ran into a critical error when it tried to upgrade, forcing me to manually upgrade and then asking for support over for two days afterwards to resolve the smaller issues that cropped up. :biggrin:

The issue is the issue exists within "Support" in my Admin CP, so I opened a support ticket in the client area about 2-3 hours ago, since I can post there. 4.4.0 did not have these issues; the main issue with that update was that the layouts broke a bit, and default avatars (like I have here) don't work, but with 4.4.1 is just rendered the board vacant. I'm hoping to get it fixed, asap, as I'm off for the next 9.5 days and would like to do a lot of posting on my board, and get it as active as possible! Lots to catch up on, and not being able to post is keeping me a bit behind!

3 minutes ago, Rheddy said:

Like, this is all we see when we post a new topic:

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, MNOfficial said:

The issue is the issue exists within "Support" in my Admin CP, so I opened a support ticket in the client area about 2-3 hours ago, since I can post there. 4.4.0 did not have these issues; the main issue with that update was that the layouts broke a bit, and default avatars (like I have here) don't work, but with 4.4.1 is just rendered the board vacant. I'm hoping to get it fixed, asap, as I'm off for the next 9.5 days and would like to do a lot of posting on my board, and get it as active as possible! Lots to catch up on, and not being able to post is keeping me a bit behind!

Like, this is all we see when we post a new topic:

spacer.png

When I've problems like that, I run into ACP and recache or run any tool available (Support tool) in the ACP. If the problem still persists, then I log into cPanel on my site and then run a repair on the database that runs my forums. Trust me, I've run into a problem or two in the past and doing that saved me from a world of headaches. cPanel allows me repair my database if something is wrong and it has served me well in the past.

Edited by Rheddy

Just now, Rheddy said:

When I've problems like that, I run into ACP and recache or run any tool available (Support tool) in the ACP. If the problem still persists, then I log into cPanel on my site and then run a repair on the database that runs my forums. Trust me, I've run into a problem or two in the past and doing that saved me from a world of headaches.

I've run the support diagnostic multiple times in my ACP, and it simply tells me the only issue is that Zip PHP was not installed, but that it was not required. I just don't get how this issue came up in 4.4.1. when it did not exist in 4.4.0! It just, all of a sudden, attacked!

How would I run a repair? I could try that, as I haven't done that yet!

5 hours ago, MNOfficial said:

Since updating to 4.4.1, myself and my co-admin are unable to post or send private messages on our board. The text area will not load, and it does not allow us to type anything. I attempted to disable attachments, which I would hope would disable this, however, it has not. This did not happen until an update to 4.4.1. Even 4.4.0 did not have this error. Is there a way to fix this? See image below for example!

spacer.png

So this is interesting...

By any chance using Firefox?

One of my users reported this as well, but we are on 4.3.x.

It would not load on regular, BUT did load when using site in private mode... or different browser.

Just now, Maksim said:

So this is interesting...

By any chance using Firefox?

One of my users reported this as well, but we are on 4.3.x.

It would not load on regular, BUT did load when using site in private mode... or different browser.

I'm using Chrome. My co-admin uses Internet Explorer (as far as I'm aware) and on my phone it's Safari.

Well, I use Firefox and I upgraded from 4.2.3 to 4..4.1. But the only complaint I've heard so far is the issue relating to Firefox. But, considering how Firefox and Chrome are practically similar is most ways, it just feels like users would be experiencing the same problems with both browsers.s For me, and I've tried both, they just seem to be like the same web browser, with the exception of a name change.

12 minutes ago, Rheddy said:

For me, and I've tried both, they just seem to be like the same web browser, with the exception of a name change.

They use completely different browser engines, so the results can be quite different actually. Or to put it another way: a problem or bug in one, will likely not be in the other. 

Edited by opentype

Wondering why they are using Internet Explorer ? They don't like fast and secure browsing ?

Even Microsoft admit that is not a good browser and soon they will release a new one based on Chrome....

Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi ... A few good options.

Anyway your issue seems specific to that browser. Open a support ticket for further investigation....

Edited by ASTRAPI

That clears a few things up, at least, @opentype regarding the different browser engines. It actually makes sense. I learned something new. It seems. 😄 Also, didn't Microsoft announce that there were dropping their Edge browser?

Edited by Rheddy

18 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

Wondering why they are using Internet Explorer ? They don't like fast and secure browsing ?

Even Microsoft admit that is not a good browser and soon they will release a new one based on Chrome....

Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi ... A few good options.

Anyway your issue seems specific to that browser. Open a support ticket for further investigation....

Except it's happening on Chrome for me, and Safari Mobile for me, too. And they use IE because they're not a huge fan of change, and they're used to IE. Don't question it; I stopped questioning it forever ago!

Well, the issue is still existing, and I'm becoming quite irritated that this is happening, because it shouldn't be at this point.

There is very little we can do here in the peer to peer section – unless you post a link where guests could try this out. IPS support is the best route, since they can investigate it directly on your site. 

A missing editor window usually means that the JavaScript on the site is failing, since opening the editor is a JavaScript function. So that’s something I would check if it were my site. The links to the JavaScript files might be wrong for some reason or they might be some third-party interference which breaks the JavaScript – or something like that. 

1 minute ago, opentype said:

There is very little we can do here in the peer to peer section – unless you post a link where guests could try this out. IPS support is the best route, since they can investigate it directly on your site. 

A missing editor window usually means that the JavaScript on the site is failing, since opening the editor is a JavaScript function. So that’s something I would check if it were my site. The links to the JavaScript files might be wrong for some reason or they might be some third-party interference which breaks the JavaScript – or something like that. 

The IPS support has my information, but they keep saying it's wrong, and I know they're usually off on weekends, so....

How would I go about checking JS? I don't even remember installing that!

On 3/8/2019 at 2:15 PM, MNOfficial said:

Since updating to 4.4.1, myself and my co-admin are unable to post or send private messages on our board. The text area will not load, and it does not allow us to type anything.

Have you checked the most simple thing - browser cache? Try CTRL+F5 on a sample affected page to force a page reload from a server (not from a browser cache).

1 minute ago, Luuuk said:

Have you checked the most simple thing - browser cache? Try CTRL+F5 on a sample affected page to force a page reload from a server (not from a browser cache).

Do I do that on the forum or in my FTP/cPanel? I haven't tried that!

1 minute ago, Luuuk said:

On the forum on a sample affected page.

I just tried, and it did not do a thing to the table or the issue, unfortunately.

It says "Loading page" when the Reply to begins to load, and then it never appears, and instead just loads the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files... " option, instead.