Disable Personal Messages Until Post Count Reached

Rheddy

There used to be a third party addon for this feature I'm about to ask for but I think that IPS should add the option for administrators to restrict PM messages for usergroups until they reach a certain number of posted messages or responses on the forums. Sometimes you run into the problem where someone new to your community will register for an account and instead of posting on the forums, they send a barrage of personal messages to forum staff or the general members in some weird advertising campaign. I actually had this happen before where someone signed up for an account and sent unsolicited PMs to members on my site without posting a single message.

It's a problem that I think I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

There are good restrictions in place regarding the number of conversations permitted and time limits etc but I see what you're saying.

I'm aware there was a third party file to do this.

For the immediate moment you could use group promotion to do what you're asking, not 100% ideal I know but its not difficult and it would work plus it would also give you an advantage in that you could promote after x period of time and/or content count if preferred too.

Just my suggestion to help for now. 🙂

This is already possible with membergroups, and many communities already putsue this strategy.  

Create a "new member" group with limited PM or status updates.  Make their posts moderated.  

Once the member reaches X approved posts, you can use the automated group promotion to move them into a group with greater permissions for PM, status updates, and more.  

Is this what you were looking for? 

@Joel R @AndyF I found that old plugin, that was created a while back by @Adriano Faria, it was "Posts Required to Send PM" but I doubt he has plans on updating it for IPS 4.4.x. But, I'm familiar with creating other usergroups to do what you suggest but I'd rather not have to create a anew usergroup just to use as a workaround for that. Faria's plugin would limit a user's ability to send PMs to anyone until that member reached the appropriate number of posts required to send the PM. For instance, if you set the "Members" usergroup to where they needed to have a 100  post count before they could access the PM system.

I just prefer not to create long run-arounds like that for a usergroup that would serve no purpose.

Edited by Rheddy

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit I suffer from this. I have a subscription section which has topics visible but find that new members circumvent the subscription by PMing the members within the group. Most realise that they have done this and tell them to subscribe, others do not realise and then divulge the info within the subscription part of the forum.

As simple, "disable PM until x posts" would be really useful. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...