We want our paid subscriptions back...

Subseven

3 hours ago, Subseven said:

That's gotta deter some registrations. I built Grizzly Central years ago on VB and it's still running on VB 3.8.8! Easier platforms to work with back from both IPB and VB. Sometimes I wonder if "upgrades" are even worth it.

I just have to say, reading this thread and trying to understand your concerns... I'm getting the impression you get mad at Apple when a new version of iOS comes out or your computer wants to reboot due to updates.

Change is an inherent part of software, especially on the internet. If you cannot accept change (whether you agree with the reasons behind that change or not), then you should probably get out of hosting forums, websites, and probably the internet in general. It will always change, continue to change, and will do so whether you like it or not.

Hanging onto the past is not only short-sighted, but irresponsible if said outdated software contains vulnerabilities that puts your users at risk.

I do agree with you on Subscriptions being rolled into Commerce, but I can also understand and appreciate why IPS took the direction they did with it.

If it helps, think of Subscriptions being rolled into Commerce as a way to expand for those whose needs grow beyond just subscriptions, whereas if Subscriptions was a stand-alone feature and someone needed more out of it, then they would be frustrated that they were limited and have to buy *another* module in the suite. Likewise, users who are Commerce focused don't need to buy a separate module just to get Subscription features. The fact they are integrated benefits both potential scenarios.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/8/2019 at 1:08 AM, Subseven said:

All other reputable forum scripts out there have paid subscription setups included. Our IPB setups should too...without paying for Commerce.

It is right, some other forum scripts have a free subscription option. This was the case in vBulletin, the system I converted from to IPS. But to be fair, the IPS system is way more advanced in all regards. If I compare both systems, IPS saves me more life time because of the inbuilt invoice generation system. In vBulletin I had to create invoices by another program and send it to members needing an invoice. The overall payment rate is higher because the system sends out automatically payment reminder. Bottom line, commerce is a professional tool helping you to get the most bucks out of your members and worth the price.

1 hour ago, Ramsesx said:

It is right, some other forum scripts have a free subscription option. This was the case in vBulletin, the system I converted from to IPS. But to be fair, the IPS system is way more advanced in all regards. If I compare both systems, IPS saves me more life time because of the inbuilt invoice generation system. In vBulletin I had to create invoices by another program and send it to members needing an invoice. The overall payment rate is higher because the system sends out automatically payment reminder. Bottom line, commerce is a professional tool helping you to get the most bucks out of your members and worth the price.

There is no more I'd gain by it over what it used to be. Maybe if you want to sell digital downloads or other products it would be better. I've never had one person ask me for an invoice.

Nevermind VB...they're shot now with their newer versions and their older stuff can and has been made safe. It's more about the Xenforo now...I'll be migrating over sooner or later myself.

Archived