Disable footer ads on 2 places, how?

Black Tiger

I'm using the build-in Advertisement section for footer ads, because that's the easiest way to implement adsense code for the footer.

Now on my previous forum I also had footer ads which showed up everywhere. This gave me however a violation warning from Google that it should not show on page with no content (like if nothing is found with unread content or other empty pages). It seems no Ad code is showing up there so that seems fine.

The second violation was for the registration page. However, there the footer ad code is still showing.

I created a custom ad code for in the sidebare, because the one from IPS did not show a nice header block about the ads, so I could disable that one myself. But the footer ad is still showing.

Is it possible to disable this for 1 page, so for the registration page? Because that has no value content either.

I hear you. The current header or footer placement IPS provides does indeed violate Adsense TOS. I’ve pointed it out before and don’t understand why it’s not been fixed as it would be trivial at code level. I think the last response I got was to buy the Commerce Or Pages addon to create custom blocks.

There is probably a way to edit the footer template to only show the ad portion in forum areas but I never got it working. What I did instead was to only use the “after first post” option and then edit a few lines in the topic template so that instead of just the first post it shows after the 1st, 6th and 11th. The revenue of that worked out about the same as header and footer. Also it works better on mobile. 

Thank you. Indeed that is also a solution, but I didn't expect that this was not possible yet by the system itself, especially if I read you already pointed it out.

If possible I rather don't edit templates. So in that case I might consider doing the same as I did with the sideblocks, by using a custom block and putting that at the bottom of the page or something. I will think about it.

Pity that there is no default "after last thread/post" option either by default.

Maybe use css to stop the adverts (not tested so not sure if possible)

Page for Registration would be

body[data-pageModule='system'] .adsense_css_block {
  display: none;
}

change the .adsense_css_block above to whatever the css block is for adsense

Hope that makes sense

Hello Steve00.

Thank you. I'm now trying to look with custom blocks if that will work too. Works easier for me.

If that does not do the trick I will try your code.

However, since it's against TOS of Google, it would be great if IPS Development would create an option in a new version, to be able to exclude certain pages and forums from displaying them in the Advertisement option.

Yep, Works great when using custom blocks. Since luckily register and new posts are using a different url it was easy to just not place them in there.

In the same time it fixed an url to my old forum's new posts search, which gave a "not found" now on my IPS forum, but still showed the footer ads. This is gone now too.😎

Archived