How to go about setting up Braintree?

Tom S.

8 minutes ago, opentype said:

I went to the backend to screenshot it, but it’s gone in 4.4.1 and PayPal is back. 🤷‍♂️

Was in the release notes with 4.4.1, enough of us must've complained!

Commerce

• Removed Braintree option for new payment gateways.
  • Removed the package moderation ability for moderators on the frontend.
  • Removed a recommendation to switch to Braintree during upgrade.
  • Restored ability to set up PayPal Billing Agreements.
  • Fixed upgrading of expired purchases resulting in account credit being issued.
  • Fixed inconsistent styling being applied to the Latest Products sidebar block.
  • Made the grid vs list view theme setting translatable.
  • Fixed an error viewing hosting accounts.
  • Fixed PayPal checkouts through Braintree failing when tax is applied to the purchase.
  • Fixed a missing language string when managing hosting accounts.
  • Fixed an issue with configuring Braintree, if you have had any issues please open and re-save the Braintree settings.
  • Fixed an issue where paid support request custom fields would show for none paid support departments.
  • Fixed an issue where viewing a product may not work under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a duplicated HTML element ID (which prevents the page from passing as "valid HTML").
  • Fixed an issue where the Facebook Pixel for purchase events was missing currency and value.

Wow a few people complain about it in the forums and that's enough to cause it to be completely removed? It wasn't even given a bit of time for people to try it and provide actually relevant feedback...

Just because it didn't work out for a loud minority, doesn't mean it could not be a good option for the rest of us. It's like listening to the few customers who get deactivated by Adsense and then coming to the conclusion that Adsense is a bad solution as an ad provider.

What's even more ludicrous, is you can use it under a tiny race condition. If you upgraded within a less than two week window you can use it? - Which leads to the question:

"Why does @opentype get to use a feature of the software but I cannot? Does he get special treatment?" (sorry opentype, nothing personal just need an example 😄)

This was supposed to be a strong alternative to the flawed Billing Agreement system. I don't understand who is winning from removing it? The people who have a grudge against Braintree? Awesome...

Disappointing from IPS. 

dos equis facepalm GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

11 minutes ago, opentype said:

Don’t jump to conclusions just based on assertions.

It's pretty clear that it was a fear of bad customer experience that drove them to this decision. I can understand their thinking, but they could have handled it better.

Although, some advice to you; It might not be wise to use Braintree now as it will not receive any updates in the future and you might find yourself stuck in an awkward situation.

• Management
22 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

Wow a few people complain about it in the forums and that's enough to cause it to be completely removed? It wasn't even given a bit of time for people to try it and provide actually relevant feedback...

Just because it didn't work out for a loud minority, doesn't mean it could not be a good option for the rest of us. It's like listening to the few customers who get deactivated by Adsense and then coming to the conclusion that Adsense is a bad solution as an ad provider.

What's even more ludicrous, is you can use it under a tiny race condition. If you upgraded within a less than two week window you can use it? - Which leads to the question:

"Why does @opentype get to use a feature of the software but I cannot? Does he get special treatment?" (sorry opentype, nothing personal just need an example 😄)

This was supposed to be a strong alternative to the flawed Billing Agreement system. I don't understand who is winning from removing it? The people who have a grudge against Braintree? Awesome...

Disappointing from IPS. 

dos equis facepalm GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

Let's calm down just ever so slightly. 😎

It will be returning - the release notes should have said temporarily. It has only been hidden so we can further investigate and document the application process with Braintree. They have a fairly extensive underwriting process that we were unaware of and it's caused confusion, frustration and even hits to credit reports. We just want to ensure we more thoroughly document the process based on the customer experiences thus far so you can know what to expect. 

6 minutes ago, opentype said:

Assertions. Still just assertions. I just warned ya. 😉 

unimpressed james bond GIF

5 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Let's calm down just ever so slightly. 😎

It will be returning - the release notes should have said temporarily. It has only been hidden so we can further investigate and document the application process with Braintree. They have a fairly extensive underwriting process that we were unaware of and it's caused confusion, frustration and even hits to credit reports. We just want to ensure we more thoroughly document the process based on the customer experiences thus far so you can know what to expect. 

Thanks for the update!

Braintree was setup for me was not easy but when did have the API key added never worked so be nice to have documents the problem with Braintree in the UK is need provide few documents for me this was not a problem because i am already have them but yeah could cause issue for people that don't or have any idea how to start the process.

• 1 month later...

Any update on this? I went through the application process and got approved after some interesting back and forth. 

Now I am getting regular emails from Braintree and can't use it since the option was removed the day before I got approved. 

2 minutes ago, Myr said:

Any update on this? I went through the application process and got approved after some interesting back and forth. 

Now I am getting regular emails from Braintree and can't use it since the option was removed the day before I got approved. 

It's been restored in 4.4.3.

3 hours ago, PoC2 said:

With its restoration in 4.4.3, does this mean the PayPal gateway setup will be deprecated again?

PayPal itself was never deprecated other for Billing Agreements (and card payments, but PayPal stopped allowing that to be set up, not us).

However, while this has been unfolding, PayPal have announced they are bringing a new API for recurring payments, which seems to be the same API which Braintree uses. It isn't generally available yet, but we're waiting to see how this unfolds before deciding how to proceed with that particular area. Hopefully we will be able to fully support both.

Archived