Someone should make a step by step tutorial for TEST install

SJ77

It's bloody complicated figuring out how to get a test install of your community working in a nested folder.  IE: mysite.com/test

Someone should workout a step by step tutorial for this. It would be tremendously helpful

Thank you 🙂

13 minutes ago, uzibereta said:

It's like installing it on the main folder, just create a folder named "test" and put there all IPS files, then go to www.yourwebsite.domain/test 

There will show you the install page.

accept that doesn't work. There are actually a lot more steps than that.

It should work though. However, don't change the testinstall directory's every time, because that might cause issues.

Steps for self-hosted:

1.) Create an empty database with a username and password

2.) Create a /test directory and upload the ips4.php file there. Run it and see if everything is compatible (for ips 4.4 you need minimal php 7.x anyway)

3.) Unpack the default files on your harddisk. Upload all of them to your /test directory.

4.) Visit http://www.yourdomain.com/test/admin/install from your browser.

5.) Enter database credentials and when entering license have -TESTINSTALL after it like 123G-25SXX-1223-TESTINSTALL

Installation should begin withtout issues.

In fact you can find these steps also in the IPS Install manual.

If you try it this way, where exactly does it go wrong, do you see error notices or what is not working?

All depends on whether or not you want a generic TESTINSTALL or if you want a clone of your live community as a TESTINSTALL for testing with actual data. 

Instructions for cloning your live community depends on your server stack and the tools available, cPanel / Plesk / Webmin, etc. 

There are also things such as drive space that come into play with communities with as much data as yours. What storage method are you using? Do you detach storage? Now you don't have a 100% functional test installation. 

Lots of forks in the road for a 'generic' procedure to cover. And ones that the server administrator should know agnostic of the application software. I.e. IPS shouldn't be the ones telling you HOW to do this. Only highlighting risks and/or caveats with which type of test install you want. 

Agreed with @Aiwa. If you're wanting to setup a clone of your live install, there are a lot of server-specific information here that really is not something that will be able to be covered by a blanket scenario with a guide or similar. If you're stuck there, you may wish to reach out to your hosting provider for assistance in cloning your live installation's file structure and database.

Once you get past the server barrier of cloning your installation, getting the software to function in that new test location is rather straight forward.

I was talking about a fresh test-installation. Did not know it should be cloned. Cloning to a testinstall totally different.

In that case you have to look a bit further. Though a subdirectory won't normally differ on a server from a main directory as for apache/php etc. settings, won't even differ which panel you're using because these settings normally are for the complete public_html and everything the user does there including subdirectory's.

So I just wonder as I run servers with Cpanel and Directadmin too.... except for disk space and available dabases ofcourse, isn't cloning just like:

1.) Copy all your files to the subdirectory, including all upload folders so detached storage is catched too.

2.) Make a backup of your original community's database and import this in the newly made database.

3.) Change the conf_global.php in the /test directory, go to the admin panel, change the license to -TESTINSTALL and run the support tool to fix the paths and things?

Or does this not fix paths? I've copy'ed a testinstall like this, but that was a very small one and I did not have issues with it.

Ofcourse this is a way bigger installation, but I don't see a difference with moving to a new server, except now is moved to a test directory.

Edit: Ah I've found the other topic. I see what you mean. Thinks like cache an such giving also issues. I understand.

@Black Tiger the point isn’t necessarily the steps, it’s the level of detail in each step that you must know in order to be successful. 

55 minutes ago, Black Tiger said:

Make a backup of your original community's database and import this in the newly made database.

This one item is an entire procedure on its own, multiple really, depending on which tool you’re using. Some may be satisfied with your high level statement, others will want pictures of cPanel, what button to push, what to name the backup, pictures detailing how to restore, where to restore, how to create another database, how to grant permissions to a new user, how to create a user, etc. you see my point? 

You seem quite knowledgeable, so please don’t take my picking apart your steps the wrong way. I’m merely adding in where a novice user would very easily trip up and start asking questions that vary greatly depending on their server stack flavor. 

you see my point?

Yes I see your point. It has also to do with the experience of the user, some only know phpmyadmin and other scan do it via SSH.
As said at first I was under the impression that it was just a question about setting up a new test install, not a clone.

s o please don’t take my picking apart your steps the wrong way.

Not a chance. ;)
I'm always under the impression that I'm never too old to learn. IPS is also way more customizable then any other forum software I encountered so far, so in fact I appreciate your comments on my reply. No worries there.

I think my use of the word "clone" is throwing people off.  Forget that I said that.

Here is what I want to do.

1. Create directory within my main site.  https:// mysite.com/test
  2. Copy all my files to test directory
  3. Backup REAL database from live site
  4. import backup DB to TEST DB
  5. Direct the test site config file to use TEST DB
  6. Direct the test site config file to look for the site at test url (mysite.com/test/)
  7. Change constants file to use different cookies prefix. IE: define( 'COOKIE_PREFIX', 'test_' );

Seems like that would all work.. only one problem. It doesn't work. It's a pisser.

1 hour ago, Aiwa said:

@Black Tiger the point isn’t necessarily the steps, it’s the level of detail in each step that you must know in order to be successful. 

This one item is an entire procedure on its own, multiple really, depending on which tool you’re using. Some may be satisfied with your high level statement, others will want pictures of cPanel, what button to push, what to name the backup, pictures detailing how to restore, where to restore, how to create another database, how to grant permissions to a new user, how to create a user, etc. you see my point? 

You seem quite knowledgeable, so please don’t take my picking apart your steps the wrong way. I’m merely adding in where a novice user would very easily trip up and start asking questions that vary greatly depending on their server stack flavor. 

I want just high level

Here are all the paths that need adjusted, all the switches that need flipped and all the gotcha traps.

something I can repeat.

I've just read your topic in the other section. It looks like you've done everything correctly.

However I don't know if you put your forum offline. I would always to this when backupping a database, seen some odd things happening in the past with other software with backups (and so restores) when this was not done.
And I don't think I'm higer level then the people already helping you in the other thread.

I don't know if this fall's within the things IPS support could help you with.

I don't know if trying again is an option, otherwise you might want to insert some extra steps marked with an arrow:

V 1.) Create directory within my main site.  https:// mysite.com/test

V 2.) Copy all my files to test directory

--> 2b.) delete the content of your datastore directory in your /test installation.

--> 2c.) Put your forums offline

--> 2d.) Run the support tool on the live forums to clear cache there too.

V 3.) Backup REAL database from live site

V 4.) import backup DB to TEST DB

V 5.) Direct the test site config file to use TEST DB 

V 6.) Direct the test site config file to look for the site at test url (mysite.com/test/)

V 7.) Change constants file to use different cookies prefix. IE: define( 'COOKIE_PREFIX', 'test_' );

--> 8.) Login to your test admincp en run the support tool
--> 9.) Check your paths in the admin panel

--> 10.) Put your live forums back online.

You can choose to do step 10 at another point, but this seems more safer to me.

Most of this is also suggested by others in the other thread. But maybe if you start it new this way, there is a chance.... no guarantees.
I'll put a thumb up for you anyway.

Archived