Creating Multi Languages Friendly Environment

media

Hi everyone,

One small request if it is possible...

Language control panel under ACP is NOT a friendly environment.... I am going to try to give some feedback to make this friendlier for all of us who have bilingual platform 

1. Most of us who has bilingual platform; we do not translate admin panel, we only translate front end; therefore we need a good system that separates admin and front end language bits... (very important)
  2. When I click on "Untranslated" the admin and front end option should be there too. 

Additionally I wish I could filter only language strings from one application or plugin. At the moment I can sort by plugin or application but I have 861 pages in the languages translation and it take a lot of time for me to get to the page, where the application or plugin begins. E. g. if it starts on the page 564 I have to find it out first browsing page by page till I get there. 

10 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

Additionally I wish I could filter only language strings from one application or plugin. At the moment I can sort by plugin or application but I have 861 pages in the languages translation and it take a lot of time for me to get to the page, where the application or plugin begins. E. g. if it starts on the page 564 I have to find it out first browsing page by page till I get there. 

Yes, that's exactly my problem. I have only a handful of translations to do for Forums but I don't know in which 2- or 3-page sequence they come among the 300 pages of untranslated strings (mostly Commerce). Locating them is a very slow process.

4 hours ago, Sonya* said:

That is my problem too... +++++

3 hours ago, Meddysong said:

Yes, that's exactly my problem. I have only a handful of translations to do for Forums but I don't know in which 2- or 3-page sequence they come among the 300 pages of untranslated strings (mostly Commerce). Locating them is a very slow process.

Well, I do not think it sorts very well... I agree… 

• 2 weeks later...

@Matt @bfarber guys please take note. You did a real disservice with putting all translation in one pile. Please consider adding at least an option to filter admin / public / admin+public shared strings. That would make it so much better than what we have now.

Nobody in their right mind would translate ACP which if I remember correctly from 3.4 days is like 2/3 of the whole suite while forums makes up about 1/3 or total strings.

56 minutes ago, Maxxius said:

Nobody in their right mind would translate ACP …

Just because you don’t want to do it, doesn’t mean other people who offer complete translations are not of their mind. That’s just nonsense and doesn’t help your case. 

I know it isn't but let's just say that in old days when I was selling LT translation only roughly 5% asked whether ACP was translated. People mostly care only about front-end and that's a fact which I'm stating from my past experience. Other translators are free to do what they desire.

15 hours ago, Maxxius said:

@Matt @bfarber guys please take note. You did a real disservice with putting all translation in one pile. Please consider adding at least an option to filter admin / public / admin+public shared strings. That would make it so much better than what we have now.

Nobody in their right mind would translate ACP which if I remember correctly from 3.4 days is like 2/3 of the whole suite while forums makes up about 1/3 or total strings.

Well, not sure about numbers (I am sure there are many administrator prefer translated ACP too) but I am sure high number of administrators using ACP without translation....

I hope I will see this option one day...

The question is: IS THIS DOABLE with current IPS Board?

How much work required?

Can a plugin or app creator do this?

I'm afraid it's not as simple as somehow tagging language strings as front end or AdminCP, as many language strings are actually used in both areas. A more effective tool for translating the front end might be to use the live translation tool which lets you click on text on the screen and translate it right then and there.

• 2 weeks later...

IS there a way to have the menu have translated item names or items based on language?

For example in english the Home button should go to one link and the French Accueil button should go to another link (in french).

Any way to do this?

Or atleastto have different menu names based on the language set?

9 minutes ago, sseguin613 said:

IS there a way to have the menu have translated item names or items based on language?

For example in english the Home button should go to one link and the French Accueil button should go to another link (in french).

Any way to do this?

Or atleastto have different menu names based on the language set?

No, there’s no way to have custom links based on the language, but the menu names are translatable 

On 3/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, Maxxius said:

My last project was handed over to an admin team which consists of people who natively speak German, French, Japanese, English and Portuguese. Their working language, the only one they have in common, is Esperanto. Am I not in my right mind to have translated the ACP into their common language, bearing in mind that they don't all speak English? 

Edited by Meddysong

10 hours ago, Meddysong said:

My last project was handed over to an admin team which consists of people who natively speak German, French, Japanese, English and Portuguese. Their working language, the only one they have in common, is Esperanto. Am I not in my right mind to have translated the ACP into their common language, bearing in mind that they don't all speak English?  

Perhaps I wasn't clear on that. Let me explain. Though I thought it was obvious. So.. here was one condition implied - if you understand English language then why you should translate it? As it is in my case. Though English is not my first language I would never translate it into to my language because it would only bring confusion.

We detect based on the browser information, then fall back to the site default. You can allow guests to change their language, however a CSRF key is used on the form for security, which you would need to use in your URL (i.e. you can't just use a generic URL, it would need to be crafted specifically for each visitor based on their session data). Alternatively, if you can set a cookie on your end, for guests the language is tracked very simply via a cookie which you could in theory manually set yourself.

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2019 at 4:22 PM, bfarber said:

I'm afraid it's not as simple as somehow tagging language strings as front end or AdminCP, as many language strings are actually used in both areas. A more effective tool for translating the front end might be to use the live translation tool which lets you click on text on the screen and translate it right then and there.

What is that live translation to you are talking about? Google translate? How can that be integrated in the community?