"Go To Topic Listing", "Next Unread Topic"

Carol Cornwall

I really don't know the technical terms for asking this question, so sorry if this is unclear. In previous versions of the software, there was clickable text at the bottom left of a thread's page which had the forum's title in the text for returning to the forum index (Ex: "Return to XYZ Forum"). Now it says "Go To Topic Listing". Similarly, to go on to the next unread thread in the forum, the text on the bottom right of the page would be the title of the thread (Ex: "Puppies Are Cute!"). Now it's "Next Unread Topic". Can this be changed locally or not? If yes, how? TIA.

I was about to post a question about this too, but now I already have the answer. I must say, I think this is a retrograde step in terms of UX, though I understand the performance issues. Out of interest, what represents "large or busy boards"? Can we not simply have an option to turn them on for boards below that threshold? Or just a global toggle? In other words, more choice, less imposed functionality!

Kev

I think I've found an actual bug around this new change. I've noticed that, since upgrading, clicking the Next Unread Topic link results in the error message shown below:

229601349_ScreenShot2019-02-28at7_59_17pm.thumb.png.af52d9df34084cc5dfdc97c1bfc5bf65.png

I suspect this might have something to do with threads that have been moved to another forum, but still have the placeholder link in place. In any case, something is amiss!

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Can you guys not just give us a code snippet to re-enable via plugin instead of in the base code? Removing functionality "because we don't want to support it anymore for large deployments" is really not a great answer. By the way I run a large community and we didn't have performance issues due to this. 

Archived