Community

Joel R

[Question] What are your plans if you (or your admin) dies?

We're non-profit and so my co-owner would legally inherit the organization. My co-owner and I have level 5 access to the same things; so systems will be able to move forward. With that said, I sure as hell hope I don't die!

It looks like this is a joke to a few of the members on this forum.  But, this is a very good question.  If you think about your members, and any long-term supporters of your site, you'll take it a bit more seriously.  In my case, I would like the legacy of my creation to live on after I die.  Our website has so much knowledge and information, it would also be a disservice to others in the future if I didn't think about this possibility of this happening.

In my case, I've got two other admins that both have access to my root server.  Diversity is key, so, I recommend finding someone who you know personally and then ask them to perform this role.  It may also be a good idea to make sure they are not a "significant other" because they will be pretty busy at the moment of passing.  You'll need someone to take the reigns without being distracted.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:11 PM, WOFman said:

Not planning on dying soon

Not many plan to die.

I think it's sensible to have plans in place. I have a master document in my office draw with instructions on how to access keychains and 1Password so others can access all my sites and social media accounts.

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not many plan to die.

I think it's sensible to have plans in place. I have a master document in my office draw with instructions on how to access keychains and 1Password so others can access all my sites and social media accounts.

I'm curious though. People always say you shouldn't write down passwords etc., since what if someone bad were to get a hold of it? Do you have instructions or references in the document as keys in a "puzzle" where only your family and friends would likely know the answers or do you just ensure the document is securely physically stored?

And what if your house burnt down at the same time? 

I have to admit I'm starting to think I should have some process in place too.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I have a master document in my office draw with instructions on how to access keychains and 1Password so others can access all my sites and social media accounts.

1 hour ago, TSP said:

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Not many plan to die.

I'm curious though. People always say you shouldn't write down passwords etc., since what if someone bad were to get a hold of it? Do you have instructions or references in the document as keys in a "puzzle" where only your family and friends would likely know the answers or do you just ensure the document is securely physically stored?

I haven't gotten to it yet, but in my case, I'll make sure my site and IPS passwords are in the folder at home, but all my other passwords...They'll remain inaccessible forever. Too many secrets...

2 hours ago, TSP said:

All my passwords follow a kind of mnemonic principle. They are very complex and different for each site. It is impossible to guess them. But if you would know (and my family knows) how they are built, you would get any my password. 

This has been a growing concern for me recently as one of our admins caught the coronavirus.

I guess that right now if I die, the community dies with me.

But ideally, I would hope that other admins would contact my family and keep the community I built alive after my death. 😐

Sort of situation I am in, but without the death. The webmaster has moved on, no contact with him remains. One other member was an admin so had the access side to it all but not the knowledge. I have stepped up and trying to migrate server I have hit a mountain of issues. We have a relatively small community compared to some I have seen on here as it is only a car club but still, without the knowledge of PHP, CSS, Mysql etc I have had such a learning curve, fortunately I don't mind learning it all but definitely something i will be looking at documenting when i have it all sorted for anyone else who may need to take over.

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 3:53 PM, FFOC said:

Sort of situation I am in, but without the death. The webmaster has moved on, no contact with him remains. One other member was an admin so had the access side to it all but not the knowledge. I have stepped up and trying to migrate server I have hit a mountain of issues. We have a relatively small community compared to some I have seen on here as it is only a car club but still, without the knowledge of PHP, CSS, Mysql etc I have had such a learning curve, fortunately I don't mind learning it all but definitely something i will be looking at documenting when i have it all sorted for anyone else who may need to take over.

I thought I had posted here before, but I guess I haven't.  This is similar to how I came to own the community my team currently runs.  The original admins abandoned it because they expected overnight success, but weren't willing to do the work needed to get there and decided they deserved better. (lol)  It was dumped into the lap of a very young and very naive person who had zero knowledge of how to run a website much less all of the technical know-how needed to move forward.    I had been a member of the community since its creation, and pretty much was the only one with some technical knowledge to get things back up and going again, so I was asked to take over most aspects of the site. 

I'll admit there are times where I had to apply the fake it 'til you make it strategy.  My knowledge pre-owning this community was limited to HTML/CSS/JS with a hodge podge of projects in-between, but I had zero knowledge with php or backend server management and depended on a lot of help.  After about 3 years and several website development classes, I have most of it pretty much figured out.

To prevent this from happening to someone else again in the future, we have a few admins that slowly get taught how to run things in a worst case scenario, because a lot of people earn their primary income through us and we don't want to put them in a position where they suddenly have no "job".

Edited by ahc

On 2/26/2019 at 10:02 AM, Joel R said:

But digital assets are just as important and often overlooked.

This is a good topic. As far as digital assets go my priority was to try to figure out if could transfer my digital movies and books on Amazon or my iTunes. As far as my site goes I have given all the access keys to my kingdom to a trusted third party member. If I die the site will live.

I am configuration a home web station with 1gbps connection, synology ds718+, ssd 1tb, 2gb ram. The software DSM handle backup on it and failover setting (preventing loss of data having some snapshot), DDNS for link domain to the dynamic IP.

The project is a personal branding website with blog articles how-to, and commerce for offer my services and products... I don't have a "community" but guests that ask me support from contact page or inside a public faq page where anyone (require approval) can reply (wiki style commenting).

This way if I die anyone can restore it online...