Community

Joel R

[Question] What are your plans if you (or your admin) dies?

We're non-profit and so my co-owner would legally inherit the organization. My co-owner and I have level 5 access to the same things; so systems will be able to move forward. With that said, I sure as hell hope I don't die!

It looks like this is a joke to a few of the members on this forum.  But, this is a very good question.  If you think about your members, and any long-term supporters of your site, you'll take it a bit more seriously.  In my case, I would like the legacy of my creation to live on after I die.  Our website has so much knowledge and information, it would also be a disservice to others in the future if I didn't think about this possibility of this happening.

In my case, I've got two other admins that both have access to my root server.  Diversity is key, so, I recommend finding someone who you know personally and then ask them to perform this role.  It may also be a good idea to make sure they are not a "significant other" because they will be pretty busy at the moment of passing.  You'll need someone to take the reigns without being distracted.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:11 PM, WOFman said:

Not planning on dying soon

Not many plan to die.

I think it's sensible to have plans in place. I have a master document in my office draw with instructions on how to access keychains and 1Password so others can access all my sites and social media accounts.

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not many plan to die.

I think it's sensible to have plans in place. I have a master document in my office draw with instructions on how to access keychains and 1Password so others can access all my sites and social media accounts.

I'm curious though. People always say you shouldn't write down passwords etc., since what if someone bad were to get a hold of it? Do you have instructions or references in the document as keys in a "puzzle" where only your family and friends would likely know the answers or do you just ensure the document is securely physically stored?

And what if your house burnt down at the same time? 

I have to admit I'm starting to think I should have some process in place too.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I have a master document in my office draw with instructions on how to access keychains and 1Password so others can access all my sites and social media accounts.

1 hour ago, TSP said:

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Not many plan to die.

I'm curious though. People always say you shouldn't write down passwords etc., since what if someone bad were to get a hold of it? Do you have instructions or references in the document as keys in a "puzzle" where only your family and friends would likely know the answers or do you just ensure the document is securely physically stored?

I haven't gotten to it yet, but in my case, I'll make sure my site and IPS passwords are in the folder at home, but all my other passwords...They'll remain inaccessible forever. Too many secrets...

2 hours ago, TSP said:

All my passwords follow a kind of mnemonic principle. They are very complex and different for each site. It is impossible to guess them. But if you would know (and my family knows) how they are built, you would get any my password.