Remove Upgrade Banner

FZ

17 minutes ago, bfarber said:

If you use the AdminCP autoupgrader, it should stop you from continuing if your environment does not meet the basic minimum requirements (which, by the way, is PHP 7.1 for the latest version, NOT PHP 7.2). Further, in our client area where you download the software, we have placed a notice that your hosting environment must be on PHP 7.1 to ensure those who manually download in order to update their site are aware as well.

image.png

I'm truly sorry that you ran into trouble attempting to upgrade, however if you are gong to self-host and manage your own server, then you need to be prepared to do so. I'm in no way trying to sound rude here (I know reading text online does not always convey intent well, so I just wanted to clarify). It's just the same as if you were going to handle your own vehicle maintenance instead of letting an auto shop do it, but aren't familiar with how to use a wrench (you can put me in this bucket fwiw). This is precisely why we offer a Community In The Cloud service - to take that burden off of the shoulders of those who don't wish to (or aren't capable of) dealing with these things.

The "disabled_functions" warning in the AdminCP is just a warning, a recommendation, not a requirement.

I appreciate that IPS does assist self hosted users a lot, but I think you are missing the gist of my grievance in this thread. 

Basically what you've done with this undismissable warning for admins is almost force us into making the upgrade just to get rid of the warning (which I reiterate is massively frustrating and totally unnecessary). If the upgrade was a straight forward process from ACP it wouldn't be so bad, but as I discovered this morning it requires a change to the PHP version which isn't something that most self hosted customers would be comfortable doing, unless they are well acquainted with server administration or have a host that manages this all for them. 

In my case cPanel has been configured by my host for me to be able to change PHP versions easily, but when I did that this morning it caused the website to stop working completely and in the process of trying to rectify the PHP version back to what it was, I somehow managed to break the .htaccess file. I suspect that when one changes PHP versions this way using cPanel it does a bunch of modifications to .htaccess which if you try to undo ends up causing a server error and takes your website offline.

I'm pretty sure the message in ACP said that it required PHP 7.2, but I might be mistaken, so I'll take your word for it that 7.1 is the minimum requirement. But that's not the reason for my frustration. As I said it's becoming increasingly obvious that IPS is trying to steer away from supporting self-hosted customers by making the upgrade process thoroughly painful for us. I get that you need to make money and if there was a feasible alternative to self-hosting in the form of your cloud solution then that would be great - I would sign up in a heartbeat. But honestly, the costs are totally prohibitive and completely out of kilter with the hosting market. You need to look at that if the company strategy is to move away from self-hosting.

There is no way I can afford to pay you the asking price for a 100GB solution. Even though my site traffic is pretty low (less than 50 simultaneous active members) I am carrying a 13 year old photographic archive which takes up a lot of storage space. Self hosting is my only option, so when you guys do stuff like force this upgrade banner on the front end of the site you're going to get some blowback. It's just not kosher. 

I understand your frustrations. I only want to just clarify that we do not intentionally make upgrading more difficult for self-hosted clients. 4.4.0 is a major new release (as opposed to say "4.3.7" which would have been only a maintenance release), so we took this opportunity to push up our minimum required PHP version. Neither PHP 5.6 nor 7.0 are supported any longer, so we really need to rely on a version that is still receiving some level of support.

http://php.net/supported-versions.php

Even PHP 7.1 is only receiving security reports at this point in time.

5 hours ago, FZ said:

IPS upgrader didn't actually do anything other than report the PHP version being wrong. So this isn't something that can be restored because basically the PHP configuration on the server has been changed and now we have to figure out what options cPanel changed that will allow the old version of the site to run again. I'm not happy...

Upgrader will not do a backup, that is left to your own devices to do before upgrading

Check the php version is back to how it was before you changed it

Other than that ask your host if they have a recent backup and if so then ask them to replace current files with the backup

1 hour ago, steve00 said:

Upgrader will not do a backup, that is left to your own devices to do before upgrading

Check the php version is back to how it was before you changed it

Other than that ask your host if they have a recent backup and if so then ask them to replace current files with the backup

Of course there are always backups made of the server but no backup was needed in this case. Host had to remove the .htaccess files that had become confused in the back and forth of PHP version changes. Anyway, the site access is restored now but I am going to put this upgrade away for a little while. It's not as straightforward as hoped. 

Archived