4.4.0 Application Manifest / 'PWA'

USCJ Digital

Before I submit a ticket ...

I just upgraded our cloud community from 4.3.6 to 4.4.0 successfully 🙂

I set the "Display Mode" under "Configure Manifest Details" to the recommended "Standalone."

Using Safari on iOS, it works as expected > add to home screen ... clicking on new icon opens up our community with the browser 'hidden' so it is very app like, nice!

Using Firefox on Android, everything also works as expected 🙂

However ... using Chrome on Android, I can save the site to the home screen, but the icon just launches the exposed browser (with the correct theme/background color - so some info is getting through) as it did before. So, not quite as app like. The National Weather Service site (weather.gov) does work as expected, so something is amiss here - but I don't know if it's something I am doing 'wrong' (already cleared the browser cache), or if this is a glitch with Invision and Chrome on Android?

Based on the user experience with Safari on iOS and Firefox on Android, it is pretty clear that the 'manifest' is not automatically coming down to Chrome on Android (there is no automatic 'would you like to add to your home screen message as there was on Firefox, for example).

Seeking wisdom from the crowd ...

I’ve been in contact with IPS about this today and we didn’t really find an easy way other than asking someone else to try it, who hasn’t tried it before. 

In Safari on iOS I also had this caching behavior, but at least here loading the manifest URL directly in the browser updated the Safari cache. 

I also asked someone to test on Android who has not done it before ... waiting to hear back!

The funny thing is, I was able to get the manifest to load on Safari (iPad) even though I had already created a home screen short cut. It worked like a charm. And again, worked great with Firefox on Android. So, something is definitely up with Chrome/Android.

FWIW ... I just deleted the Chrome shortcut, completely cleared out the cache (aside from passwords) ... and still the same behavior.

Update: I submitted a ticket to Invision. They are not 100% certain, but believe they understand the issue with Chrome on mobile devices, and they are hoping to push a fix with the 4.4.2 release. So, not the forthcoming update ... but hopefully soon thereafter.

Archived