Everybody is choosing "Night Mode" nowadays....

2 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

folks who don't grasp that dark mode is a form of accessibility

It’s not that simple. The brightness of the background is just one of dozens of legibility/accessibility factors and a dark-mode doesn’t easily fix any problems—it just reverses the contrast. As a result, people struggling with the glow of the background now struggle with the glow of the bright text on a pitch black background, which can be equally bad or even worse. All the factors need to be carefully balanced in either mode to get good results. 

1 hour ago, opentype said:

It’s not that simple. The brightness of the background is just one of dozens of legibility/accessibility factors and a dark-mode doesn’t easily fix any problems—it just reverses the contrast. As a result, people struggling with the glow of the background now struggle with the glow of the bright text on a pitch black background, which can be equally bad or even worse. All the factors need to be carefully balanced in either mode to get good results. 

We need gray mode! 🤣

• 4 months later...

+1 for the night mode.

1. It must be used by default if @media prefers-color-scheme is set to dark and the user did not override it using the site-level setting (point 2).
  2. There must be a setting that allows changing the preference:
    1. on the account-level (manually selected preferred color scheme is stored in DB).
    2. in the cookies (for guests).

Exactly like it works here and here.

Edited by Mr 13

• 2 months later...

So I see other forum sites (not using Invision) increasingly offering toggle-based "Dark Mode" and a plethora of users thanking them for it.

Yet sadly we don't see it coming for the front end for Invision Community (just the back). I see 3rd party developers offering such solutions for IC (so it can't be impossible), but not from the actual devs.

Unfortunate.

38 minutes ago, PoC2 said:

So I see other forum sites (not using Invision) increasingly offering toggle-based "Dark Mode" and a plethora of users thanking them for it.

Yet sadly we don't see it coming for the front end for Invision Community (just the back). I see 3rd party developers offering such solutions for IC (so it can't be impossible), but not from the actual devs.

Unfortunate.

From the 4.5 theme update announcement:

While our theme settings have allowed community owners to change most colors, there were still many hardcoded in our CSS framework. These were typically neutral colors used for things like 'close' links, semi-transparent backgrounds and so on, but it was enough to make creating a dark theme an unrealistic prospect without an awful lot of effort (and kudos to those designers who have offered dark themes up until now!).

In 4.5, we've removed hardcoded colors from our framework, and instead rely on colors already defined by theme settings. You can now, finally, create a dark theme just by editing the built-in theme settings.

This was a generalised question asked on Twitter in terms of viewing 'websites' as opposed to just forums and it was interesting to see the variance in choice.  Whether this is something that can be viewed more precisely and intensely in terms of further surveys to collect the information on people's preferences both in general and specific environments, is perhaps worth following up on.  It can also help drive developers to be more careful in their choice of colour combinations to avoid some of the suspect outcomes in terms of contrast variance.

survey2.jpg.cbfe5bcfc5e4c536ac98d6c457dc89d6.jpg

I must add that the number of respondents was not as many as would have been preferred and it's probably unclear as to how those percentages may have shifted had the response group been higher; which gives ground to my earlier comment about further surveys being undertaken to better understand preferences.

This in no way implies that lighter themes be made obsolete as it will always come down to individual preference as which is more desirable; however, it may encourage thought into providing, as some developers have adopted, a method of having the same theme available in both light and dark colours with the ability to switch the lights on or off.

Edited by Davyc

On 3/9/2019 at 2:07 PM, day_ said:

I released it to the members last night, even with the few bits remaining and they all loved it.

Not being funny but if I can bodge something together in a day and half, the developers shouldn't have too many problems. 

Members comments > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/31826-dcfc-fans-night-mode-beta/

And here's the 99.9% finished look.

Beqi0hC.png

4OHqg5c.png

O7h7Egl.png

M8uCVNO.png

This looks fantastic - I'm struggling to recreate this on my forum but would really like to.

Is there a dummies guide to doing this somewhere?

On 5/17/2020 at 4:35 PM, marklcfc said:

Good opportunity for me to post this again from a XF site

Yes I'm seeing a number of XenForo sites appearing with this feature, and the respective members seem to love it (it gives them a convenient choice).

On 5/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, Dean_ said:

A nice simple toggle on the default theme is all we're asking. No more, no less. Can anyone do it without having two themes, as Day_'s looks brilliant and works well having used it.

I made a plugin for this that works on default theme perfectly

Edited by Mark Round

• 5 months later...

What’s the need for plug-in toggles or specific settings for when to enable/disable? Shouldn't this be as simple as the ACP specifying the default dark theme and then just relying on @media prefers-color-scheme? If no dark theme set as default, nothing happens? I’m not exactly in the running for developer of the year but even to me this seems like a pretty easy solution that utilizes OS features re night/dark mode and not have to reinvent the wheel in Invision. 

On 10/26/2020 at 5:52 PM, Morgin said:

What’s the need for plug-in toggles or specific settings for when to enable/disable? Shouldn't this be as simple as the ACP specifying the default dark theme and then just relying on @media prefers-color-scheme? If no dark theme set as default, nothing happens? I’m not exactly in the running for developer of the year but even to me this seems like a pretty easy solution that utilizes OS features re night/dark mode and not have to reinvent the wheel in Invision. 

IPS would have to update their default theme (as would any theme developer) to incorporate the

@media prefers-color-scheme

selector.

Also, you would want users to be able to decide if they want the theme for the site to honor their system preferences or not.

I am not a Web Designing or coding person but with a couple of minor CSS edits from replies by a couple other members here, I was able to pretty easily create a dark theme using the built-in tools. 

Having a slider to switch could probably also be coded by someone more knowledgeable in Web design but click to change theme is not all that hard either and once set not too many are actually toggling back and forth. Most seem to set it and leave it.

• 6 months later...

Invision Community 4.6.0 Beta 2

On 5/19/2021 at 2:56 AM, Jordan Invision said:

Just to refresh your memories, some of the biggest changes/additions include:

Yes? Please? 😭

Ted.

Edited by Teddy Rogers

For anyone who think Nightmode is helping you sleep better.

https://nabil-alouani.medium.com/why-using-night-mode-on-your-phone-isnt-a-bright-idea-9d7fe1c2aca

Might affect how we see Nigh Mode in the future.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:38 PM, liquidfractal said:

If memory serves me correctly, @Rikki made a free Dark Invision theme some time ago.  Not sure if it's still being maintained though.

Should be easy enough to make a dark standard theme. If it is not available than any theme designer can make one.