Clubs and content feeds

Steph Jensen

Hello!

I am trying to decide what types of clubs i should let my users create. I'd let them use all of them, but i noticed one thing that i want to avoid.
There is a club feed block. This shows content from the clubs. I only want this to show content from clubs that the user has joined.

I can choose between:

• Public: Everyone can see the club and its posts, and can participate without joining.
  • Open: Everyone can see the club and its posts, but only members can participate. Everyone can join
  • Closed: Everyone can see the club and who's in it, but only members can see posts and participate. Users need to ask a leader to join.
  • Private: Only members can find the club and see its posts. Users need to be invited by a leader to join.
  • Read Only: Everyone can see the club and its posts, but only members can participate. Users need to be invited by a leader to join.

which ones show up on the feed, even though the user has not joined? Is it the ones with "Everyone can see the club and its posts"? Would there be a way to allow all types of clubs, but only show content in the feed from clubs that the user has joined?

13 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Users will always see:

- public

- open

- any closed clubs they joined

- any private clubs they joined

- read only

I'm pretty sure that all feeds, including blocks and Activity Streams, will only show content that the user had permission to see.  

Alright - i know that you don't let any user create their own clubs, but from this, i'd need to limit users to only create Closed and Private clubs, in order to avoid their content cluttering the feed then right?

Correct

In general though, I would encourage you to be careful about letting users open any club they want.  I gave the ability open to create clubs (on accident) for one week, and 2 clubs wee created.  Both empty. I reached out to both new club owners: one never responded, and one didn't know what he was doing! 

I've seen so many websites with empty social groups and empty blogs.  It looks terrible and unfocuses the attention of your community.  Its better to be extremely good at a few things than to be not good in many things.  Just make sure you have a very strong strategic focus for the creation of the clubs.  

I do believe in survival of the fittest though - i've set up a few rules, that i can delete clubs that have been inactive for a few months, or have less than 3 members. All clubs need to pass a screening so that i also have the option to ask users what they really want to do with them. I don't mind clubs only having very few users - this is what i actually intend them to have - i just don't want them to be dead and empty

• 4 weeks later...

Archived