Migration from vBulletin 3.8 to IPS4 - problem after problem

ЛЕНИН

13 hours ago, Meddysong said:

You can install your suite at site.com. If you use /forums, your other apps will be based there (site.com/forums/gallery etc) when you really want site com/gallery, site.com/calendar etc. If you use forums as your default app, site.com will load the forums but site.com/forums will still load the content. If you use another app as your default, then site.com/forums will be the address of the Forums app anyway.

I am talking about this about hour with support and still can not get it. I put it this way. Can I somehow do this:

1. Have Pages at site.com/ - I will use blocks to show my forum content at front page
  2. Have Forum at site.com/forum - converted from site.com/forum vBulletin
  3. Have redirects from vBulletin forums to IPB forums so I do not have problems with search engines?
  4. In this case I better install Suit at site.com/ and make Pages default app and then just convert vBulletin to site.com/forums?

By the way - what it means for app to be default?

Can anyone give some examples of Pages?

1.) Not sure but as far as I know you have to install the site at / to get pages there. And /forums will get automatically in /forums then, but only virtually, not a real subdirectory.

2.) If you install ips in /forum then vbsite.com/forum will be converted to ipssite.com/forum yes.

3.) You can create a 301 redirect for this with .htaccess in your vb site.com/forum directory.

4.) I would do that anyway if possible, otherwise you could get threads urls like site.com/forum/forum/20-some-thread-here/ which will work perfectly but well... does look a bit strange.

Pages? Like click above this forum on "Home", you will get at the main invision site, this is probably made with Pages, you can create all kind of pages.

Default app... well... better somebody else explains that, I'm not good at that.

1 hour ago, ЛЕНИН said:
  • Have Pages at site.com/ - I will use blocks to show my forum content at front page
  • Have Forum at site.com/forum - converted from site.com/forum vBulletin
  • In this case I better install Suit at site.com/ and make Pages default app and then just convert vBulletin to site.com/forums?
  • By the way - what it means for app to be default?

In short, you cannot have the Invision Community software in multiple directories/folders (e.g. root, /forum, /community, etc...).

However, if you place your Invision Community at your root, you can set Pages as your default application (e.g. the application that loads when you visit your community's index/homepage). This will allow Pages to load at site.com/ . With your Invision Community at the root and Pages set as your default application, you can enable FURL Rewrites and then your forums application will be virtually rewritten to site.com/forums. 

Have redirects from vBulletin forums to IPB forums so I do not have problems with search engines?

As part of the conversion from vBulletin to Invision Community we have software redirects that will redirect vBulletin URLs to Invision Community URLs. However, if you move your community to the root, that complicates things now as you will need to work with your hosting provider to redirect requests to where your vBulletin community used to be (aka /forum) to the root. 

Can anyone give some examples of Pages?

https://invisioncommunity.com/ 🙂 

Well, this sounds more like my problem can be solved. I still do not understand how completely. In support area I have this response:

The only way in which you would be able to solve that would be for you to write custom rewrites from your old URL locations to the new URL locations unfortunately. 

So the steps are:

1. Install Suit at site.com/
  2. Set Pages default app - ACP
  3. Enable FURL redirects - ACP- how do I do that and what it means?
  4. Work with my hosting provider to enable one more redirects? I am confused... 

Reviewing the ticket you had with my colleagues, we're essentially stating the same thing. There is going to need to be some custom redirect/rewrites going on here to get this to work, I would recommend continuing down your current path in the ticket. That is awaiting further reply. 

Sorry that this topic has been high jacked, Joel. Let me know if you'd like this cleaned up 😉 

51 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Why can't he install his IPS installation  (pages and forum) at /forum? 

That will still give him the ability to make a Pages page at his root.  

He can but that is a backwards approach to take. If he wants his site to be at site.com and his forums to appear at site.com/forums, the normal approach is to install the suite at site.com rather than at site.com/forums and then have to take special steps using a gateway so that something else from the suite appears at site.com. If has the additional advantage that any other apps would be at the correct address rather than at site.com/forums/app-name.

Ok. I think I will install Suit at root. Then I make Pages default app, and my Forum URL changes to /forums automatically. But it was at /forum before... Can I edit this somewhere? In this case I sacrifice SEO (because no default redirection from old forums). But may be SE will reindex it soon... 1 mln posts)

11 minutes ago, ЛЕНИН said:

But it was at /forum before... Can I edit this somewhere? In this case I sacrifice SEO (because no default redirection from old forums). But may be SE will reindex it soon... 1 mln posts)

This is where the custom redirects/rewrites come in. Please refer to the ticket you have opened for more information or suggestion there.

11 hours ago, ЛЕНИН said:

Now try to start conversion and get this:

2V101/A IPS\convert\_Library::process: Unknown column 'pf_name' in 'field list'

Resolved with this SQL query in target DB:

ALTER TABLE core_pfields_data ADD pf_name text COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;

Archived