Group Moderator Option for Reading Private Messages

GTServices

I was surprised this wasn't an option. Maybe vbulletin is ingrained in me.

Anyway, I think this should be available by default.

There should be a Moderator permission option for reading Private Messages. 

Right now, if they have access to Reports they also have access to private messages.

(Link available to read entire private message in Report.)

The reasons for the access via the Report Centre is simply so the moderator in question can see the message itself, in effect it "invites" them to it.

A participant in the message/conversation *must* report said conversation for this to happen though, so there's no privacy concern as such with this. It would really not be that different in reality to simply 'inviting' a moderator into a conversation instead of reporting it. 😀

There are third party addons to allow certain groups and/or members to read said conversations although (just in my own personal opinion) adding this as a default built in erm 'feature' is not in anyone's best interests. Please do not read my post as too negative though, I say this is just my own personal thought on it.

As an aside: AFAIK this is also the same situation for the vast majority of 'other software' too in that a third party tool is usually required to view them. Invision is not alone in not providing something 'ready built in to use , out of the box' for this, certainly for forum providers.

I'm skipping the part here that if you have database access and know how to use it you can view whatever you want anyway.

Here is a link to an IPS4.3 compatible third party 'reader' on the Marketplace. There may be others, that was simply the first one I came across when I looked for one as an example 'if you need this feature right now then here is something to help' link for you. 🙂

There are reasons why Staff hierarchies exist. Each group is treated differently for specific reasons.

Many Big Boards/Enterprise sites pay tons of money on legal fees to reduce liability. (They now have to look into this. eg. TOS rewrite, etc)

----

I have a vbulletin background... I'm a developer myself but...

This was a complete surprise. 

Now, the only way around this is...

1. Site owners must remove REPORTS access from Moderators. (Basically, their responsibilities are diminished.)
  2. Or, Create app/plugin 

My point to all of this...

I'm aware that it's called 'Personal Conversations' here on IPS. But for Big Boards migrating over (and their members), it's still private messages.

I know there's a big focus on Big Boards/Enterprise these days ... I can see that with the development of the software ... Unlike smaller boards, Big Boards/Enterprise actually do their homework. They review EVERYTHING before deciding who to go with.

It was a surprise to me so others in similar shoes will be just as surprised/disappointed. (The difference is that I can actually do something while many will have to rely on 3rd-parties to fix.)

5 hours ago, GTServices said:

Big Boards/Enterprise actually do their homework. They review EVERYTHING before deciding who to go with.

That would just be plain old fashioned good, common business sense in reviewing new I.T projects and the like, something that ought to be done more often imo, it seems less so with public bodies generally compared to private however that's going off topic. Its possible this former may be due to not having to be that concerned about where resources are going to have to rematerialise from whereas the latter would have to keep a tighter hold on the "purse strings" so to speak. 🙂 

It was a surprise to me so others in similar shoes will be just as surprised/disappointed.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, sorry.

(The difference is that I can actually do something while many will have to rely on 3rd-parties to fix.)

I do have a reasonable electronics and quite strong mechanical 'background' although my career paths do not actually suggest this, (given I'm I.T a such) but the point here being with software scripts and the like I'm usually quite happy to 'fix it up' myself where necessary.

Archived