REST API question

socceronly

Been hitting the JS books / videos.  Just getting into the async tutorials now. 

Still learning so forgive me if this is stupid, just a general question about how this works with IPS. 

If I have a site running on a server, on domain  ABC, can I use the REST API from ABC on domain XYZ on that server to develop on?   The goal is replace ABC with the site developed on XYZ.  The goal being to build a new front end and PWA.  (learning React & JS)

I get we use APIs in sites all the time from different sites/services, but they are configured for us to do so.  Can IPS do this, or is it meant for use only on the site the lisc is for? Could someone abuse this and use a single seat of IPS to create multiple sites using the REST API on different domains?

Again, sorry if this is stupid still figuring it out. 

You can use the REST API across domains, yes. This is not the same thing as running our software from multiple domains and is not inherently forbidden by the license agreement (if you were attempting to entirely recreate our software on a second domain leveraging the REST API, I think that (1) you'd find it near impossible, but (2) then you may start running into restrictions in terms of the license agreement, however this is not generally what the REST API is used for).

4 hours ago, bfarber said:

You can use the REST API across domains, yes. This is not the same thing as running our software from multiple domains and is not inherently forbidden by the license agreement (if you were attempting to entirely recreate our software on a second domain leveraging the REST API, I think that (1) you'd find it near impossible, but (2) then you may start running into restrictions in terms of the license agreement, however this is not generally what the REST API is used for).

Well, that is not my intention. It just occurred to me as I was writing the post. 

Thanks

JM

Archived