Commerce: add pre-filled Billing Address for manual invoices

LiquidFractal

This is a relatively minor but annoying thing for me when issuing invoices in Commerce: when you choose a Member for an invoice in Step 1 Customer, then move to Step 2 Settings, the Billing Address is blank.  99% of the time I need to open a new window and go to Members to access my Member's address to fill in the fields, when pre-populating the Billing Address with the Member's known address data would be much more convenient.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but hopefully it would be a small fix.

If the member has a billing address on file, there should be an option to use it when manually creating an invoice. I would suggest submitting a ticket if you’re encountering this as it sounds like a bug. 

If there is no known address for the user on file, selecting the “Other” option will allow you to manually insert one. (Not what you’re looking for but relevant information)

33 minutes ago, Jim M said:

If the member has a billing address on file, there should be an option to use it when manually creating an invoice. I would suggest submitting a ticket if you’re encountering this as it sounds like a bug. 

If there is no known address for the user on file, selecting the “Other” option will allow you to manually insert one. (Not what you’re looking for but relevant information)

Thanks for the reply Jim.  I think what you're referring to is the Shipping Address; I'm referring to the Billing Address, which is always blank when you enter step 2 of the invoice creation process.

In fact, it would be preferable if the Billing Address were pre-filled with the Member's default address information used upon registration, with the option to clear all fields and enter something different if the Member prefers a different Billing Address for whatever reason.

7 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

Thanks for the reply Jim.  I think what you're referring to is the Shipping Address; I'm referring to the Billing Address, which is always blank when you enter step 2 of the invoice creation process.

In fact, it would be preferable if the Billing Address were pre-filled with the Member's default address information used upon registration, with the option to clear all fields and enter something different if the Member prefers a different Billing Address for whatever reason.

If Billing and/or Shipping address is known it will be displayed at invoice creation. I do stress known. It may be here that the address has simply not been designated by the user. With a ticket we can fully look into that and help qualify this suggestion. 

A52BDFE1-F56F-4A7D-B184-406A6AAAF945.jpeg

Jim, thanks for this.  As far as I know, the only address I get from my Clients is what they provide upon registration - I don't know if that is designated as the default Billing Address, Shipping Address, or both.

For as long as I've been using Commerce, when I manually create an invoice this is what I see:

invoice.thumb.jpg.4c57eab35e1de9d73ebbd8c8391c3a84.jpg

So I stress manually, as in I create the invoice and it is not generated through the Store.  At any rate, I'll submit a ticket and have this checked. 

I just tried it with two accounts and I can confirm what Jim says. I get the view above with empty fields if the user has never finished a Commerce order and therefore has no address data on file. I'm not sure what you mean by “address provided during registration”. As long as you force a purchase during registration, there will be none in the system. 
If I go to step 2 with a user that has made a purchase in the past (and therefore provided the data), the addresses are made available as in Jim’s screenshot. 

14 hours ago, opentype said:

If I go to step 2 with a user that has made a purchase in the past (and therefore provided the data), the addresses are made available as in Jim’s screenshot

Thanks for confirming @opentype.  I think this is the issue:  I was under the impression that the address members used for registering an account might have been used as the default billing address.  My clients so far have been local and have paid me via bank transfer or cash, so they haven't yet purchased anything in the Store and thus haven't provided a billing address.

So with all this in mind, I still think it's a good idea to pre-fill manually-created invoices for members who may not have purchased Store products, or perhaps allow them to provide a billing address upon registration (or mark their default address info as a Billing Address) to deal with this.  Thoughts?

8 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

I was under the impression that the address members used for registering an account might have been used …

There is no such thing. That’s the problem. No IPS site automatically collects addresses during registration. Are you saying you added those fields yourself as custom profile fields? 

1 hour ago, opentype said:

There is no such thing. That’s the problem. No IPS site automatically collects addresses during registration. Are you saying you added those fields yourself as custom profile fields? 

lol...yeah, come to think of it I do believe I added custom fields.  It's been so long since I had to worry about that.  But since we're on the topic, you'd think there would be native address fields (even with the option of bypassing them/not filling them out for privacy reasons).

Archived