Invision Software/License

BlynD

Hello -  General question for the group.  I'm I required to renew my services to download my software purchase of invision, change my website domain, or even general information?  Everything on my manage page is greyed out.

I am curious about what I bought and paid for.  We recently had a brute force attack and our small community website is down.

Thanks for any assistance.

2 minutes ago, BlynD said:

Hello -  General question for the group.  I'm I required to renew my services to download my software purchase of invision, change my website domain, or even general information?  Everything on my manage page is greyed out.

I am curious about what I bought and paid for.  We recently had a brute force attack and our small community website is down.

Thanks for any assistance.

If info greyed out would mean need renew for another 6 months this allows you then download any new updates or change your domain if need to i hope that helps, if you already paid the renew then support ticket better option vs here as might be issue with the way paid might take few days to progress.

We don't want new updates just want the chance to maintain our website.  Currently have a ticket up.  Seems like we basically paid hundreds between the core software and marketplace to "rent" a website that will NEVER need updating or changes made.  This is more than slightly disappointing for a small group that uses this as a hobby.

Lost our server due to a team member passing way to early in his life this year.  It's our fault for not having the proper backups but not having a chance to recover or even make the slightest changes without paying for renewal is sickening.   

Please keep in mind I understand if we want the updates or priority support to renew the license.  

42 minutes ago, BlynD said:

I am curious about what I bought and paid for. 

The “worry-free” packages are the community in the cloud packages with monthly payments. The self-hosting packages require you to take care of everything. Both options are essentially subscriptions packages, not one-time sales. Not renewing would also mean you won’t get security updates and your site will probably be hacked sooner or later. So in general: you will need to keep renewing your license. 

22 minutes ago, BlynD said:

We don't want new updates just want the chance to maintain our website.  Currently have a ticket up.  Seems like we basically paid hundreds between the core software and marketplace to "rent" a website that will NEVER need updating or changes made.  This is more than slightly disappointing for a small group that uses this as a hobby.

Lost our server due to a team member passing way to early in his life this year.  It's our fault for not having the proper backups but not having a chance to recover or even make the slightest changes without paying for renewal is sickening.   

Please keep in mind I understand if we want the updates or priority support to renew the license.  

Sadly the renewal per 6 months includes downloading current files as well its covers support as well if find that cost to much look cloud plans.

2 minutes ago, Pete T said:

Sadly the renewal per 6 months includes downloading current files as well its covers support as well if find that cost to much look cloud plans.

Not just current files.  ANY files.  We are dead in the water.  

1 minute ago, BlynD said:

Correct unless pay for renewal this why need keep copy of current files you using on backup drive or storage on harddrive, I do feel your pain been once and learnt how make sure never happened again but you would be aware if don't pay renewal that can't access any current files or updates. 

6 minutes ago, BlynD said:

We did but again that party passed away in a car accident.  We lost it all.  Mostly our issue and lessons learned.  Sucks it took a death to learn it.

I take it host has no backup some host do but might be old but might get back up and online.

4 hours ago, BlynD said:

You don't have a copy of the files used when you upgraded? 

I understand your frustration, but maintaining backups of your files is your responsibility when self hosting. Including backing up the core files used when you installed or upgraded.

If you buy a car from a dealer and wreck it, is the dealer responsible for fixing it because you didn't buy insurance?

6 hours ago, Aiwa said:

You don't have a copy of the files used when you upgraded? 

I understand your frustration, but maintaining backups of your files is your responsibility when self hosting. Including backing up the core files used when you installed or upgraded.

If you buy a car from a dealer and wreck it, is the dealer responsible for fixing it because you didn't buy insurance?

They did but their admin was killed in a car accident. They're not at fault here any more than my wife would be about our site if misfortune struck me.

34 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

They did but their admin was killed in a car accident. They're not at fault here any more than my wife would be about our site if misfortune struck me.

And I sympathize, but it doesn't mean they didn't make poor decisions about community maintenance, ensuring there wasn't a single point failure. 

Ultimately, nothing we say matters. It's going to be up to IPS in the support ticket they have open on whether or not IPS will break policy and offer an act of good will. 

Best of luck to the OP. 

Archived