alt images tags for SEO

Steve Bullman

@bfarber

Going back to your NSFW idea

On 1/30/2019 at 8:30 PM, maddog107_merged said:

So we own a fashion site, we have like 4 million images. We tried using some API's both free and commercial to identify this NSFW (nude or non nude) and they all had pretty terrible accuracy rates. 

How were you thinking of identifying them? We would for sure pay for a solution should one exist. 

If I were to do this, I'd have to leverage some sort of API to scan the image. I had not spent any time investigating APIs to determine which ones work well and so forth, however. I'd be interested in hearing which ones you've tried and how they fared.

When I replied, I was looking at Google's Cloud AI APIs specifically.

Could we automatically add an ALT tag with the vision AI "web" results? Also in our particular case if we could automatically give it a tag of the topic name (we have a celebrity site, so each thread is dedicated to one person, that would probably be beneficial.

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 2.43.53 PM.png

15 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

They may get indexed but indexed where exactly.  They certainly aren't going to show up in google

Take this image as an example. With over 200,000 images on my site I should have them showing up in the 'images for' section of a google search.

1874500558_ScreenShot2019-02-13at13_47_58.thumb.png.8a6c080f38b4d817d8bb58179a4daf02.png

I understand that a good percentage of the images won't necessarily be relevant to the thread title, but even if some are showing up its better than others?

Which brings me back to a part of my initial question. Would wrongly tagged images(as suggested by Nathan) be determental, or would they simply show up in the wrong place and thats that?

I tried google vision on one of the images for "lido lining" (not sure what that is 😄 ) and at least it guessed it was a pool and fiberglass (lining?). I would assume those tags would be better then nothing. 

I doubt IPB will integrate something like this but I am willing to chip in some money to have a dev make something for it.  @Mike John @DawPi @Nathan Explosion😉

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 9.14.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 9.14.24 PM.png

6 hours ago, maddog107_merged said:

I tried google vision on one of the images for "lido lining" (not sure what that is 😄 ) and at least it guessed it was a pool and fiberglass (lining?). I would assume those tags would be better then nothing. 

I doubt IPB will integrate something like this but I am willing to chip in some money to have a dev make something for it.  @Mike John @DawPi @Nathan Explosion😉

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 9.14.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 9.14.24 PM.png

Already spoken to Dawpi about this. Also I have one other member interested in chipping in.  I'll be in touch

• 7 months later...

Just yesterday I was working on this subject where I was looking for a way to retroactively add many alt image tags to a Wordpress blog I am going to convert into IPS Pages. I wanted to take care of its alt image tags because in WP there are more solutions. One of them which I tested was https://imageseo.io

I did a test run and it got about 50-60% of the tags named quite alright. Some of them were good attemps but yet still wrong and inaccurate to a certain degree. AI probably is the way to go. and to be absolutely sure it perhaps would be nice to have a page in ACP where all the images are gathered which are posted in the forum and a field next to it where you could type in alt image tags for all of them in bulk and save. that would be a lot fasted than going to each topic, edit each reply double click and enter new tag, then save. My suggestion though not ideal but it would save a lot of time if people were to do it by hand.

Archived