Large Amount of Guests "Who's Online"

Jason Back

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem on V4.4.0 installed a few days ago: My forum is reporting huge Guest Online counts in the summary footer bar. Often several hundred guests, which is incorrect. But when I click See Full List the count is much smaller and believable.

For example, right now I see 284 guests in the summary footer. But See Full List shows only 39 guests.

This issue is persistent since installing the V4.4.0 update. BTW, I've installed the latest V4.4.0 patch that was reported in the system support area and also cleared cache. No joy.

Anyone else notice this after installing the upgrade?

45 minutes ago, Thomas_B said:

Anyone else notice this after installing the upgrade?

Yes, there's definitely a connection. Since the upgrade, my two-day rolling average has steadily creeped up (tripled-quadrupled) from ~3 to ~12. Here's a pic of the post-upgrade guest user spike:

image.png.7105ca306cb03b2b4ac71cbe817141d8.png

I'm keeping an eye on it. Anyway, I made a ticket and was assured it's nothing to worry about. 

Thanks for sharing your online stats. Your numbers are much smaller than mine. I'm seeing hundreds of guest users.

I agree it's not a major concern. But it's definitely a nuisance. On the bright side, it makes my forum look like a hotbed of activity with a lot of viewers. 🙂

BTW, I also observed another bug immediately after the V4.4.4 upgrade. A new user joined and his first post was made public without requiring a mandatory "first post" moderator approval. I cannot duplicate the problem so, this weird bug that sidestepped the first post approval is a mystery.

- Thomas

16 minutes ago, Thomas_B said:

Your numbers are much smaller than mine. I'm seeing hundreds of guest users.

I agree it's not a major concern. But it's definitely a nuisance. On the bright side, it makes my forum look like a hotbed of activity with a lot of viewers. 🙂

Well, I hope your forum is active & busy. 😋 My point was that perhaps the increase you're seeing is proportional to that which I'm seeing. :wink:

I used to get a lot of guests like that, from time to time. It didn't happen all the time but it can really wear down your system resources. When it got to be too much, I would just disable my site temporarily until it was past. But, yeah. Most likely, web crawlers, bots and whatnot.

Archived