Email Advertisement Image

Ocean West

This feature needs a standard Editor box so you can place an image inside perhaps adjust or restrict image size, and add any other messages or disclaimer.

Currently the recipient is just see a big image - that may most likely have any context to actual email  - rather it's an inline advertisement. 

Because the image is so big people may instantly equate this with spam and start blocking or unsubscribing. 

A header or other frame around the ad may be required that what you are seeing is an advertisement. 

ad here

I think, picking a useful aspect ratio is the job ob the person creating the ad. Here’s how my new ad looks like. Works pretty well. 

ssemail.thumb.jpg.3f9d697e35afc1d9a2ad705389953b9e.jpg

Having some kind of templating option or a chance to add a one-liner description to explain the ad wouldn’t hurt though. 

Few more points on this feature - the mail "Advertisement" is really site or brand reinforcement with a redirect. 

however this is no option in store products select or target the email as an endpoint ad placement.  

if you wanted to expand the reach and benefit to our site advertisers to include their random banners to every notification email that would be excellent - we can do it - but it's ALL MANUAL.

Also looking at @opentype attachment above - I would imagine that such an email ( basic site notifications ) Someone is banned, or something needs approval email no need to including advertisement as it would skew impressions.

We went with the image (vs HTML code) route, because many HTML codes used for advertisements rely on javascript, which won't work in virtually any email client. We didn't want to muddy the waters too much.

I can understand wanting to enhance or otherwise fine tune the ad display and we can consider that further down the road.

You are able to adjust the templating of ads (globally, not individually) by editing the email wrapper by the way (e.g. to move it around, adjust the container dimensions, things of that nature).

You are also able to restrict advertisements so that they are only included for emails stemming from specific areas (i.e. not "type of email" based, but "area" based).

12 hours ago, bfarber said:

You are also able to restrict advertisements so that they are only included for emails stemming from specific areas (i.e. not "type of email" based, but "area" based).

So is it a single global option for all email templates? I'm not sure if I understand it right, but there should be an option to exclude email ads images for email confirmation emails (f.e. during registration).

Why?

It's illegal to sendout emails with commercial contents in different countries ("EU"), if the potential new user hasn't confirmed to receive ads by email. But if email validation is required, and the member has NOT opted in to receive other types of emails with commercial ads included, then that's already a violation, if ads are displayed. Because everyone could enter any email address. And yes, you might get sued, even if a bot has entered the address. The site owner is responsible.

This would be a serious problem (so I better mention it here), so please let us exclude dangerous email types, in case this isn't possible yet. Thanks.

10 hours ago, Cyboman said:

So is it a single global option for all email templates? I'm not sure if I understand it right, but there should be an option to exclude email ads images for email confirmation emails (f.e. during registration).

Per email advertisement, you can choose which areas (Topics, Blogs, Calendar, etc.) that emails come from will include the advertisement.

In other words - I would encourage you to check out 4.4 and test the feature so you can see what is currently possible. Afterwards, I would be open to hearing more about what changes would make the feature more useful for you. 🙂 

Archived