Google Photos integration

kmk

Mayority of people take photos and use google photos, if we have an integration with google photos we don't have to upload again pictures and videos, and we don't need ocuppy disk space. I am thinking if we have an option that say, Insert media from Google Photos, that make my life easy and happy...and insert album too...maybe you know exactly which features we can get there...

Just a note - I haven't worked with Google photos API specifically, but it's been my experience that Google keeps things locked down as much as possible. In other words, I can't just put a photo on Google and upload it to the forums. I'd have to make the photo publicly accessible first, which just adds an extra step... And may not be what people want to do. It's one thing to put a photo on a site where you know a large portion of the active users. It's quite another to leave photos out there for anyone. 

Additionally, I would have to link my forum account and my Google account. Again, it's an extra step, and users may not want to do it. 

17 hours ago, kmk said:

Mayority of people take photos and use google photos, 

This makes a fairly big presumption. I personally use Google Photos, but most of the people I know use iCloud to store their photos.

In short, I think this is a niche/specific request and you might be best off contracting a developer to make it for your site specifically.

3 hours ago, bfarber said:

This makes a fairly big presumption. I personally use Google Photos, but most of the people I know use iCloud to store their photos.

In short, I think this is a niche/specific request and you might be best off contracting a developer to make it for your site specifically.

When you take photos on your smartphone, it's almost always uploaded to some cloud account.  My phone keeps bothering me to auto-save to Google Photos, Dropbox, Samsung, OneDrive, etc.  I'm surprised my photos aren't pretty much all over the Interwebs by this point. 

So if IPS wants to stay current on at least mobile trends, I think it's worthwhile to investigate being able to upload photos from a users integrated cloud account (whatever that may be).  It's kind of expected behavior at this point to be able to share from one of those services.  

4 hours ago, dayh said:

Genuinely surprised people still use Android/Google, it’s 2019, how have they not discovered iPhones with iCloud yet?

Because of the malicious practices of Apple. Also because you most definitely do not want a situation where a market gets monopolized. :smile:

6 hours ago, dayh said:

Genuinely surprised people still use Android/Google, it’s 2019, how have they not discovered iPhones with iCloud yet? 🤔

A723B624-69C9-4216-9833-FAC90C7CA54D.thumb.jpeg.130bf8fb09296c23faa3e3546c4b2346.jpeg

I'm an Apple guy myself, but global stats do show Android/Google with a 75% marketshare.  

Mobile Operating System Market Share Worldwide _ StatCounter Global Stats - Google Chrome 2019-01-24 16.43.27.png

The great thing about statistics, 85% of them are made up. 👍

Seriously, though.... Cloud services are everywhere, regardless of your poison. Being able to streamline the process of sharing / exposing that cloud data is going to be a defining feature of applications sooner than later. While maybe not in the next couple years, it's been on the enlightenment hype line for years and is now squarely in the plateau of productivity where, the market will quickly start to saturate in the next 5-10 years. 

7 hours ago, Joel R said:

When you take photos on your smartphone, it's almost always uploaded to some cloud account.  My phone keeps bothering me to auto-save to Google Photos, Dropbox, Samsung, OneDrive, etc.  I'm surprised my photos aren't pretty much all over the Interwebs by this point. 

So if IPS wants to stay current on at least mobile trends, I think it's worthwhile to investigate being able to upload photos from a users integrated cloud account (whatever that may be).  It's kind of expected behavior at this point to be able to share from one of those services.  

I thought the OP was saying that he wanted the photos to remain stored on Google photos. At least that's how I understood it. 

6 hours ago, Rhett said:

I'm an Apple guy myself, but global stats do show Android/Google with a 75% marketshare.  

Mobile Operating System Market Share Worldwide _ StatCounter Global Stats - Google Chrome 2019-01-24 16.43.27.png

The Asian market would be a huge chunk wouldn’t it? 

Be interesting to see market share per continent, I’ve worked on a number of sites and iOS is always the most popular mobile operating system used 

14 hours ago, dayh said:

Genuinely surprised people still use Android/Google, it’s 2019, how have they not discovered iPhones with iCloud yet?

After using iOS between 2008 and 2012 I've switched to Android and never looked back.
Most of the people I know are tired of paying ridiculous prices for living in the iJail...

2019_01.25_01.png.f5adf725cb0b46179ea3c6fe2b57695f.png

3 minutes ago, Koper74 said:

After using iOS between 2008 and 2012 I've switched to Android and never looked back.
Most of the people I know are tired of paying ridiculous prices for living in the iJail...

2019_01.25_01.png.f5adf725cb0b46179ea3c6fe2b57695f.png

You say iJail, I say heaven 

8 hours ago, dayh said:

The Asian market would be a huge chunk wouldn’t it? 

Be interesting to see market share per continent, I’ve worked on a number of sites and iOS is always the most popular mobile operating system used 

Yes, if you take USA only, IOS is still the leader. 

spacer.png

Ok, perhaps I should backpedal and clarify...

I don't want to discredit the original suggestion, or suggest that services such as iCloud, Dropbox, Google Photos, etc. aren't used. Obviously they are.

My point was only meant to be that no one service is really dominant over any others, and that at this time if this is an important feature for you then you may wish to contract a developer to build it out. That is not to say that this functionality won't be considered or baked in at some point in the future.

2 minutes ago, bfarber said:

That is not to say that this functionality won't be considered or baked in at some point in the future.

Sound better, we hope IPS can bring us (right now is the mobile tendency, not future) more facilities and we admins and final users don't have to say, Facebook u others social platform are more easy... 

Archived