Community

Midnight Modding

Windows 10 Issues (yes... again)

56 minutes ago, MNOfficial said:

real housewives of new york city GIF

I so do not miss having a Windows computer. I don't know how you're dealing with this constantly.

Probably because when this isn't frustrating me, something else is, so I am used to being frustrated. lol.

Now I took a risk and let it install more updates, including the April build and it restarted properly again. Now it found yet more updates, but looks like they are more minor ones.

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

This isn't normal, it's just the OP. I use Windows, my computer does none of these things. ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

For windows this is actually "better" than normal. It's amazing how many horror stories there are for people doing simple required updates. I've already had probably 10 totally different major issues with windows in the past 3-4 years.

1 hour ago, Midnight Modding said:

For windows this is actually "better" than normal. It's amazing how many horror stories there are for people doing simple required updates. I've already had probably 10 totally different major issues with windows in the past 3-4 years.

And it's amazing how many people never have a problem. I would venture a guess the vast vast majority of users never have a problem, including myself.

Just saying, I wouldn't want the last reader I was replying to to base his entire opinion of Windows updates on justย your experience.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, bfarber said:

And it's amazing how many people never have a problem. I would venture a guess the vast vast majority of users never have a problem, including myself.

Just saying, I wouldn't want the last reader I was replying to to base his entire opinion of Windows updates on justย your experience.

What I am saying is happening.... is happening. How common the issues are, who knows, but I have had many issues with multiple versions and about everyone here has mentioned issues with MS browsers. I never said others should avoid windows. Only gave my experience.

Also, some of my issues could be related to the manufacturer of the pc. But the fact that almost every single reset of windows resulted in a brand new bug in windows is troubling.

Case #2: someone related to me has win 7. They can't update it to win 10 because it keeps failing an upgrade to some SP. And they found out it had been doing that for years and not even telling them... just logging it in some obscure place. So now they can't upgrade to win 10. Would have to fresh install or maybe restore the pc and try again.

I am giving my experience. That's what anyone does when discussing a product. You're right that many have no issues and I am right than many do. I myself have had tons and I haven't done anything odd to cause them.

Edited by Midnight Modding

33 minutes ago, Midnight Modding said:

I am giving my experience. That's what anyone does when discussing a product. You're right that many have no issues and I am right than many do. I myself have had tons and I haven't done anything odd to cause them.

And that's all I was doing. ๐Ÿ˜›ย Sorry to have offended and made you feel like you had to defend your position. I was simply saying just because you're facing issues with a Windows update doesn't make it the norm.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, bfarber said:

And that's all I was doing. ๐Ÿ˜›ย Sorry to have offended and made you feel like you had to defend your position. I was simply saying just because you're facing issues with a Windows update doesn't make it the norm.

I don't have a position on how common it is. It's not only me, though, and I didn't cause it. Every windows update has a lot of people reporting issues. This was the third major issue I've had with a windows version in the past few years. This one sorted itself by me just refusing to restart for weeks and weeks until apparently some newer update fixed it. Past situations turned out worse.

The vast majority probably very well doesn't have major issues. I'm unlucky with about any products.

I'm not trying to push anyone away from windows. I am not stopping using it myself. Also, they added another feature that helps me specifically... I see they added ability to increase text size throughout windows, without enlarging everything else. Dude to my vision issues, that should come in handy.

I still think you're a bit underestimating the number of people that get issues with each windows update, though. And I read some of them on the MS site and their support almost never seems useful.

I had issues rarely with it getting stuck in a repair loop as it was trying to be too helpful but twas impossible to get out of. That and the odd difficulties sometimes in getting to real 'safe mode' when needed. The refresh would also eat data iirc whereas as I understood it only the reset was meant to, or vice-versa, its been ages now so I can't be sure.

I did try to like it honestly, same with W8 before that and then W8.1 which I got when it was on the 9.99 offer thing for existing 7 users, I stuck and tried with W8 for six months but had to revert back to 7 until 8.1 appeared which to their 100% credit did actually sort a lot of issues out, W8 (first one) seemed really better suited to touch screen devices rather than a regular desktop imo.

Back to W10: What actually put me off which I guess is partly my fault but others will be in "the same boat" I suspect and I don't have a lot of choice in the matter currently was the size of the updates as they were or appeared to be almost complete builds as in relatively huge compared to previous Windoze (typo deliberate) which were a bit more of a saner size. This is a concern if you pay per GB of data ;)

Posted (edited)

Win 8/8.1 I just skipped totally and I also had skipped Vista totally.

When the product works properly, I love it. Honestly, I think a lot of their attempts at improvements backfire, though. I keep having my pc lock up and then look at task manager to see what's going on... it's usually something called... I think "superfetch" or something like that. So I look it up and see others have issues with that, as well. It's basically a sort of cache in Edge that is supposed to speed your browsing up, but all it ends up doing for someone on an old pc is end up storing so much data that it eventually starts locking up. Hopefully with my pc I am building it will get rid of that issue, at least, but really I don't think many people even need any sort of extra caching in browsers, And disabling about anything in windows can lead to issues, it seems.

edit: btw, now even my router issues seem possibly fixed. Apparently windows updates were affecting that, too... because I didn't do any change other than install these latest windows updates.

So you're using older hardware and Windows 10 isn't performing as well as it could? That ... doesn't shock me at all.

And that's an "issue" Mac users don't face, because typically Apple simply won't let a newer version of MacOS install to older hardware that can't properly support it. It's not really fair to say Windows has problems because you're using older hardware. ๐Ÿ˜›ย 

shade smile GIF by Robert E Blackmon

On 4/15/2019 at 9:43 PM, Midnight Modding said:

Probably because when this isn't frustrating me, something else is, so I am used to being frustrated. lol.

Now I took a risk and let it install more updates, including the April build and it restarted properly again. Now it found yet more updates, but looks like they are more minor ones.

I always hated having to update, almost daily, and when I restored my system, it took legitimately 10 hours to update everything, lol.

On 4/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, bfarber said:

This isn't normal, it's just the OP. I use Windows, my computer does none of these things. ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

My first Windows computer was fine, aside from the lack of space. But, it was 2005/2006, and I was a pre-teen, so I didn't need that much space. But my second one? Yeah. I couldn't use any kind of media or log on before a certain time of day, otherwise, my system would break completely.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, bfarber said:

And that's an "issue" Mac users don't face, because typically Apple simply won't let a newer version of MacOS install to older hardware that can't properly support it. It's not really fair to say Windows has problems because you're using older hardware.

I do partly agree with that, but Windows does tend (or did) to carry on allowing legacy bits to run where possible whereas Apple did not (afaik) , I should point out my last 'Apple' was years back I was given a PowerPC 6100/66 . It had System6 on it which I managed to upgrade to System7 but it was quite a traumatic thing even then and it really put me off. ๐Ÿ˜„ , I guess what I'm 'agreeing' with you here is they did not take any of that legacy 'stuff' along with them although I realise the OS / Hardware has changed a couple of times at least since then in regards to 'generations'

EDIT... For reference the model was this one > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh_6100

Complete with SCSI HDD etc and if I recall correctly a 2GB SCSI HDD. To be fair to it given its CPU speed and the fact the OS was about the same age as say W3.1 it was OK speed-wise. I still have my Final Doom CD-Rom disc for actually! ๐Ÿ˜„

I've not been near an Apple machine since.

Edited by AndyF

On 4/17/2019 at 8:57 AM, bfarber said:

So you're using older hardware and Windows 10 isn't performing as well as it could? That ... doesn't shock me at all.

And that's an "issue" Mac users don't face, because typically Apple simply won't let a newer version of MacOS install to older hardware that can't properly support it. It's not really fair to say Windows has problems because you're using older hardware. ๐Ÿ˜›ย 

shade smile GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Microsoft gave people free upgrades from win 7 to win 10.ย  MS isn't going to say "it is your fault your system is bricked because you dared accept the upgrade we begged you to put on your win 7 system". I didn't haphazardly go buy a new version and throw it on some old machine that was below minimum requirements, as you imply. I simply clicked the "ok" button from MS begging me over and over to accept the upgrade. So I think what I said about the situation was fair. ๐Ÿ™‚ plus, unlike with apple, MS releases retail versions of the OS, meant to be put onto somewhat older systems. the latest systems would already have the latest OS.

Now, of course, that isn't to say that win 10 should perform just as well on a worse system. but the problems mine had were clearly related to buggy updates, with the worst problem fixed by a newer update.