Jump to content

Community

Midnight Modding

Windows 10 Issues (yes... again)

Recommended Posts

Perhaps if you can see what the update is for, then look to see what's being said/complained out/praised about it ? 🙂

You using Pro ? Should be able to use G.P to delay it with that at least. Mines (although a different OS) the opposite way around its set to auto check, download and install them without intervention.

Edited by AndyF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AndyF said:

Perhaps if you can see what the update is for, then look to see what's being said/complained out/praised about it ? 🙂

You using Pro ? Should be able to use G.P to delay it with that at least. Mines (although a different OS) the opposite way around its set to auto check, download and install them without intervention.

No, but I'm wishing I got Pro for my new build, just in case I find any of the extra stuff useful. Rather than be risky in buying an OEM version or trying to switch my current win 10 to the new pc, I went ahead and bought the actual retail win 10 and just got the regular home edition. I got it with a $75 off deal, though, so should have just got the pro with the discount instead, probably... then I'd at least have more control over updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I'm about to get mad. It did exactly what I predicted would eventually happen. I had the pc awake outside of my active hours so it tried to install updates and again I was forced to reset the pc, redownload all of my stuff, change all of my windows settings back, add all of my favorites in browsers, etc...

What it does when restarting or starting up is:

1. it says "scanning and repairing drive D" which is an area of the HDD that originally had manufacturer recovery files, but I temporarily had to put another copy of win 10 there 2 years ago when ANOTHER unfixable win 10 issue happened. I then later wiped out that partition and reinstalled win 10 in C.

2. it says 100% complete and then tried to start up windows 10 on drive C, as it's supposed to. Then it goes into some attempt to repair and says it can't repair and I then have to reset it.... and then it works as long as I don't restart or shut down.

I can't deal with this nightmare much longer and I am so tired of all the windows 10 issues. Now in Edge the favorites menu suddenly is taking up almost my entire screen!

@AndyFdo you still think it's likely to be something related to the network? If so, I don't get why resetting it keeps working and before I even put anything on it again at all, if I were to restart now it would go right back to messed up again.

And of course now it's IMMEDIATELY downloading the windows updates again. I think you can stop it from doing this auto updating if you have the pro version and now I already bought the home edition.

ps I don't think that "repairing drive D" is related to the issue, because it's been doing that for years. Although when it does tell me I can't get into windows it says drive D, even though windows 10 is on drive C. I can't even find out how to make it start ignoring drive D on startup, since it's part of the same HDD with drive C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol at how huge my Edge favorites menu is now. You should see the huuuuuuuge area of nothing to the right of all of the website names. I know it was not this big before the latest reset. Hilariously, every single reset has behaved differently than the previous one, with some new issue there while some past issues are gone. Microsoft clearly ahs major issues to work out with win 10 still.

On a side note, I noticed some developer setting in windows. I wonder what that affects, exactly. The description is a bit vague.

edit: see I tested scrolling a yahoo article and now that issue is fixed on this reset. lol.

Edited by Midnight Modding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if it is related to the network, but it seemed the likely cause from the initial symptoms you described way back.

OK, can you get the updates either via the Win-Catalog (unsure if you can) or get a new fresh (as in download it now) W10 image from Microsoft and install from that new image instead ? The reason being that should already have the updates in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AndyF said:

I'm not sure if it is related to the network, but it seemed the likely cause from the initial symptoms you described way back.

OK, can you get the updates either via the Win-Catalog (unsure if you can) or get a new fresh (as in download it now) W10 image from Microsoft and install from that new image instead ? The reason being that should already have the updates in it.

I think if doing the reset to keep files you don't have the option to reset it to a specific version. Unless I'm mistaken, I'd have to do it as a totally fresh install. Which I could do that, but would have the hassle of getting my files off of here.

I'm also trying to figure out how to make it stop trying to "repaid drive D", which isn't even used, as I had reformatted it. I looked all through the boot menus and couldn't find anything. I assume there's a setting somewhere where it thinks windows 10 is still on drive D or something.

I need to just build my other pc... But I can't 100% convince myself I have the ideal case and cpu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you get anywhere with this ?

The only thing I can think of really regarding "thinks Win is on D drive" is the install path in the registry perhaps, unlikely but possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AndyF said:

Did you get anywhere with this ?

The only thing I can think of really regarding "thinks Win is on D drive" is the install path in the registry perhaps, unlikely but possible.

No, it's such a headache figuring out what to do, I've just been making sure my pc doesn't reboot or shut down until I build the new one.

Basically, in case I didn't explain it well before, C is one partition and D is another on the same HDD. And for some reason it says it's trying to repair D, and in the past it would then say something like "repair successful" and then it would go on to C and start windows up. I "think" it's still successfully doing the repair on D and the issue is happening on C. But then it logs the error on D apparently. lol. the whole thing is so confusing.

D was originally files from the manufacturer of the pc for recovery purposes, I think. But I had no choice but to wipe it out and temporarily put a copy of win 10 there because it was the ONLY way to get to my files in C a couple years ago when I had yet another windows issue and I couldn't reset my pc back then because I didn't have enough free space in that partition apparently.

This is the THIRD major issue I've had with this pc since I've owned it. One was in win 7 and 2 in win 10.

Edited by Midnight Modding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes more sense now you've said its partitions not physical drives.

My own take on 'fixing this' would be:

1. If its the only HDD present in the system ensure its in port 0 (SATA I'm assuming) , as the OS seems best generally here so it has initial bootstrap priority.

2. The unpleasant bit. Wipe the drive, not a format. A wipe that will zap the MFT, boot sector/track 0. No need to go with a full 'wipe' program simply something to make sure Windows does not 'see' any signs of partitions, then repartition and install afresh. A a minimum remove the partition data. I actually (think) you could use an old MS-Dos boot CD (available) and run the legacy FDISK to simply remove 'non DOS partitions' that's really all you need to do.

I realise its a pain but that would be my suggested fix for it at this stage... Backups obviously!

I should obviously say the obvious make sure you have your data . drivers and OS on discs etc beforehand!

I've never been keen in any way shape or form of recovery partitions, just seems like a cheapskate method to me. Its all well and good but my question would be when I was told "its got a recovery partition sir" would be to say "OK so what happens if the drive dies?"

Credit to manufacturers where they provide a tool to create your own recovery media though. I do recall one case where it was a one-off creation and the owner had lost the created discs, it was a royal pain to make it create another set. Hopefully those kind of things are no longer an issue these days.

Edited by AndyF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AndyF said:

That makes more sense now you've said its partitions not physical drives.

My own take on 'fixing this' would be:

1. If its the only HDD present in the system ensure its in port 0 (SATA I'm assuming) , as the OS seems best generally here so it has initial bootstrap priority.

2. The unpleasant bit. Wipe the drive, not a format. A wipe that will zap the MFT, boot sector/track 0. No need to go with a full 'wipe' program simply something to make sure Windows does not 'see' any signs of partitions, then repartition and install afresh. A a minimum remove the partition data. I actually (think) you could use an old MS-Dos boot CD (available) and run the legacy FDISK to simply remove 'non DOS partitions' that's really all you need to do.

I realise its a pain but that would be my suggested fix for it at this stage... Backups obviously!

I should obviously say the obvious make sure you have your data . drivers and OS on discs etc beforehand!

I've never been keen in any way shape or form of recovery partitions, just seems like a cheapskate method to me. Its all well and good but my question would be when I was told "its got a recovery partition sir" would be to say "OK so what happens if the drive dies?"

Credit to manufacturers where they provide a tool to create your own recovery media though. I do recall one case where it was a one-off creation and the owner had lost the created discs, it was a royal pain to make it create another set. Hopefully those kind of things are no longer an issue these days.

Thanks. I'll either back data up and do it or I'll build the other pc, move my data there anyway, then come back to fixing this one, depending how soon I build the other pc.

I am almost positive that this pc is one where it did have me create recovery discs.

I'm honestly surprised this pc hasn't died. I was asking jungle a million questions years ago when I couldn't get into windows anymore and my pc was also making all kinds of noise.... so I figured it wouldn't last much longer. Then somehow it has lasted more years. I had figured out how to get windows fixed that time and then the noise issue was fixed simply by blowing dust out of the case.

Btw, do you happen to know of an extra good online video related to building a pc? I haven't built one and am probably going to get confused on some of it. I think there are a lot of vids on youtube, though.

Only thing holding me up is that I'd RATHER have a more compact case than I bought, but I am not so sure it's worth selling my case, selling my mobo, buying new ones, etc... just to get maybe 2 inches shaved off of the height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AndyF said:

I've never been keen in any way shape or form of recovery partitions, just seems like a cheapskate method to me. Its all well and good but my question would be when I was told "its got a recovery partition sir" would be to say "OK so what happens if the drive dies?"

HP ships PCs with such partitions.

It's in the manual to create recovery DVDs as soon as you setup the PC .
If the drive dies then from the recovery DVDs the PC will make a recovery partition on the new drive and then possible to setup the PC again FROM the recovery partition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Misi said:

It's in the manual to create recovery DVDs as soon as you setup the PC .
If the drive dies then from the recovery DVDs the PC will make a recovery partition on the new drive and then possible to setup the PC again FROM the recovery partition.

That's fair enough :) Its more a case where some manufacturers would not provide a method to create recovery media, in that's all fine *until* there's a drive problem! :D

8 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

Btw, do you happen to know of an extra good online video related to building a pc? I haven't built one and am probably going to get confused on some of it. I think there are a lot of vids on youtube, though

I just when I did my first one years ago guessed ( ! ) , although I had owned a 'built by previous owner' 486 tower. It is relatively straightforward though. I'm not really up on modern boards/CPU's however. To put this into perspective the last time I was "up to date" the latest CPU's were the AMD Phenom X4/X6 and the very first Intel i3/i7 processors, so I'm roughly about 6 or 8 years out of date now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Misi said:

HP ships PCs with such partitions.

It's in the manual to create recovery DVDs as soon as you setup the PC .
If the drive dies then from the recovery DVDs the PC will make a recovery partition on the new drive and then possible to setup the PC again FROM the recovery partition.

Indeed an HP is where the issues were happening and I had no choice but reformat that partition (I tried so many things jungle suggested and then I realized I'd just have to install win 10 in that partition temporarily). If I had tried using that partition for recovery, I assume I would have still lost files, though, right?

@AndyFnow guess what happened almost immediately after my previous post to you? I tried opening a 4k video, despite not using a 4k monitor (I have done it before and it was just laggy is all...) and the screen went black, then it showed everything again, but the video was blank. Well, then I dumbly closed it and opened the video again and it AGAIN had a black screen, but this time it then switched to a blue screen of death saying I had a video card failure and I had to have the pc restart again, thus I had to go through the hours of resetting my pc AGAIN and redownloading my programs etc...

And this time several times I couldn't even get to the screen to DO the reset, but eventually got it to stop freezing and go to that screen. So after 2 hours, I am about back to having everything loaded and set until the next time it restarts...

Edited by Midnight Modding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

Indeed an HP is where the issues were happening and I had no choice but reformat that partition (I tried so many things jungle suggested and then I realized I'd just have to install win 10 in that partition temporarily).

That partition is not for Win, it includes the raw Win files to be installed on Drive C: .
The recovery HP program installs Win and all the other original programs(HP, MS, etc.) from there.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Misi said:

That partition is not for Win, it includes the raw Win files to be installed on Drive 😄 .
The recovery HP program installs Win and all the other original programs(HP, MS, etc.) from there.
 

yes I know that it's not meant for win. But my windows on the main partition stopped working and would not allow itself to be reset, so I was going to lose all of my files. I tried everything else. All the possible ways of fixing windows, installing a Linux OS and trying to access my files from there, etc etc... And there was no free partition left to install windows, so my only choice was to get rid of hp's recovery partition and use it for win 10 to get to my files. Only other option would have been taking the HDD out and connecting it to another pc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

All the possible ways of fixing windows, installing a Linux OS and trying to access my files from there, etc etc... And there was no free partition left to install windows, so my only choice was to get rid of hp's recovery partition and use it for win 10 to get to my files. Only other option would have been taking the HDD out and connecting it to another pc.

How did you install Win 10 to that partition?
Do you have a spare Windows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Misi said:

How did you install Win 10 to that partition?
Do you have a spare Windows?

The other partition's windows was not working. If it is not working, you have every right to reinstall in whatever partition you want to on that same machine. It allows it (either with the license key or you can skip it) because it's the same exact hardware.

Edited by Midnight Modding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive me if I missed some critical pieces of information. Skimmed through the thread.

If you're still having issues, run these commands in PowerShell (Admin). Just right click the Start button and click that option.

sfc /scannow

After that finishes, run:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Though honestly, I would recommend backing up your data (Go to C:\Users\Username\ and copy that folder to an external drive/USB or pick/choose things like Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.) to an external and formatting. You really don't need those useless bloatware OEM partitions either.

Grab a 16GB+ USB drive and download the Media Creation Tool. This will let you download and create a bootable Windows 10 1809 USB stick. You can then use that to boot and reformat the drive.

Choose to do a Custom Install. Once you reach this screen:
JsgIUtR.png

Highlight every partition and click Delete, (Do not do this if you did not back up your data that exists on other partitions!) until only unallocated space is left. From there you can continue setting up your Windows 10. Windows Update will also get all the drivers necessary for your system, assuming it's not too old.

If you need help or have questions let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I am in Groundhog Day (which I watched this week, btw). Again when opening a video (not even a 4k one this time), I had the BSOD and had to go through these hours AGAIN of getting my pc back properly. It takes forever to reinstall the apps and change settings back and do my bookmarks. I am going to at least save a copy of my bookmarks where I can import those next time...

Also, just in case.... I once again tried the startup repair tool or w/e it's called, and yet again it was a waste of time, saying it couldn't fix windows. Windows 10 is just ridiculous. Most issues I've had since using it have even different from each other and very annoying. And very inconsistent... even thsese tiems when I have to restart my pc.... something is different every time, either the startup process or something within windows once it's reset.

@Tarunthanks for the info. As far as installing win 10 fresh from a usb drive, that's what I did for my issue a couple years ago, so I know about that part and I still have the usb drive. Of course it's an older build, but I could download the most recent one. But I am just trying to avoid having to backup my files for a while. Any day now I am just flat out going to have to build my other pc. I am deciding whether to keep my case and also I don't have a new monitor for it yet.

edit: ok now I stopped being dumb and backed up my favorites at least, where I don't have to keep remembering all of the urls and adding them back manually. lol.

Edited by Midnight Modding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

something is different every time, either the startup process or something within windows once it's reset.

Perhaps some HP files are missing which were included on the recovery partition to setup the Pc ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Misi said:

Perhaps some HP files are missing which were included on the recovery partition to setup the Pc ?

 

But this started well over a year after I got rid of those. It is possible, though, that those missing files are why the startup repair attempt fails. But what I meant by that part you quoted is each time I reset, the reset is slightly different than the previous reset. Also, oddly, it keeps some of my settings, such as active hours settings, but reverts some settings back to default (that is probably intentional by Microsoft, but is kind of odd).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have HP Support Assistant installed?

 

Quote

 

Automated fixes and troubleshooters

Resolve many common issues using HP Support Assistant’s troubleshooters and automated fixes. For example, Audio Check can diagnose and help fix issues if you having trouble hearing sound from your computer. Performance Tune-up Check can optimize your system to help improve performance and Operating System Check can analyze and help maintain Windows on your PC. When HP PC Hardware Diagnostics is installed, it can be launched directly from HP Support assistant to test components, such as your hard drive and memory, and identify potential hardware related issues. If the issue cannot be resolved with these tools, HP Support Assistant can help you find additional support resources specific to your device.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I did, but once everything was uninstalled I forgot about it. I guess it could be worth a try.

I'm pretty sure I do have hardware issues, whether this having to reset is related to it or not. I'm hocked none of the parts have stopped working totally on here yet. I've had this pc for quite a few years. It has an ancient video card and lately sometimes my RAM is used close to 100%.

Years back I had windows 7 stop working on this same pc and I couldn't figure out any solution other than losing everything... only to later find out from the hp site it was a known issue where supposedly you could use ctrl alt del and close something... I sure thought I tried that on my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So beyond confused.

I tried opening a 4k video again, which gave the BSOD and forced my pc to restart.

When it was starting back up it said it was updating windows.

THIS TIME, to my stunned amazement, windows started back up properly, so I thought maybe by me going weeks of not restarting got it to get some more recent update that fixes it.

Well, then I checked the upgrade logs and it's showing no upgrade having been installed today! But it just got through saying it was updating my windows before it started back up.

So far windows is far more speedy now, but who know sif I should risk updating again...

edit: also, for weeks and weeks another rthing that has been going on is Edge keeps uninstalling and re0installing my ad blocker and making me re0enable it. What a mess Microsoft is, as I've said...

My updates are almost done downloading. Trying to decide whether to risk a restart. lol.

Edited by Midnight Modding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

So beyond confused.

I tried opening a 4k video again, which gave the BSOD and forced my pc to restart.

When it was starting back up it said it was updating windows.

THIS TIME, to my stunned amazement, windows started back up properly, so I thought maybe by me going weeks of not restarting got it to get some more recent update that fixes it.

Well, then I checked the upgrade logs and it's showing no upgrade having been installed today! But it just got through saying it was updating my windows before it started back up.

So far windows is far more speedy now, but who know sif I should risk updating again...

edit: also, for weeks and weeks another rthing that has been going on is Edge keeps uninstalling and re0installing my ad blocker and making me re0enable it. What a mess Microsoft is, as I've said...

My updates are almost done downloading. Trying to decide whether to risk a restart. lol.

real housewives of new york city GIF

I so do not miss having a Windows computer. I don't know how you're dealing with this constantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners. See more about cookies and our Privacy Policy