Community

Midnight Modding

Windows 10 Issues (yes... again)

I swear.... so many times I have had major issues with win 10.

The latest is this... I was shutting down my pc and it froze, where that working icon that goes around in circles just stopped. there was no way out of it but forcing a shutdown by holding the power button.

Well then it wouldn't start up again. It tried to repair, said it couldn't be prepared, I finally had to do the "reset pc" option, after trying various things first.

ok well resetting the pc worked. But guess what? Now if I restart my pc it does it AGAIN. So now I can never restart or shut down my pc again or I have to reset it and wait hours for the reset to finish. lol.

Anyone have anything like this happen? I'm hoping maybe it's something in a recent update and some future update will fix it, but I highly doubt it because I had a VERY similar issue 18 months ago and had to just totally re-install win 10 that time.

I've been searching online and can't find anyone having this same issue so far.

And btw, even the reset behaved weirdly. the FIRST time my Edge favorites were left in tact. the second time they were all gone.

Edited by Midnight Modding

I've not seen this myself, however I do believe (correct me if I am wrong) that a Reset removes all your apps and programs but leaves your files intact.  If this is so, then I would save your files out and the do a reinstall (basically a reset) by reformatting your drive and install as though it were a new PC.  It's a painful experience that steals at least a day from you, but at least it would rid of the cycle of resetting every time you start up.

Windows 10 is a good operating system, it's the updates that are causing all of the problems that people are seeing.  If you do decide to do a fresh install once you get to where you want to be with installing your programs, etc., I would take an image which will be easier to restore than doing complete reinstalls.

😉

I had a semi-similar issue a while ago. A computer I had for years had locked up and I went through the trouble of reinstalling, and randomly it would lock up in a similar manner.

Turned out to be some motherboard drivers - when I reinstalled those drivers weren't included and I had to go download and manually install them.

24 minutes ago, Davyc said:

I've not seen this myself, however I do believe (correct me if I am wrong) that a Reset removes all your apps and programs but leaves your files intact.  If this is so, then I would save your files out and the do a reinstall (basically a reset) by reformatting your drive and install as though it were a new PC.  It's a painful experience that steals at least a day from you, but at least it would rid of the cycle of resetting every time you start up.

Windows 10 is a good operating system, it's the updates that are causing all of the problems that people are seeing.  If you do decide to do a fresh install once you get to where you want to be with installing your programs, etc., I would take an image which will be easier to restore than doing complete reinstalls.

😉

yeah, that is what I had to do 18 months ago when a similar issue happened. In that case the reset pc option wouldn't even work while keeping my files because I guess I had too little free space. The only solution I could figure out was re-installing windows 10 in a separate partition and accessing files, then reformatted and fresh installed win 10. Then all has been working until now. It's a pain, but if I have to I will do it. On another note, though, I have every part to build my new pc now, with great parts, so I might as well build it soon.

12 minutes ago, bfarber said:

I had a semi-similar issue a while ago. A computer I had for years had locked up and I went through the trouble of reinstalling, and randomly it would lock up in a similar manner.

Turned out to be some motherboard drivers - when I reinstalled those drivers weren't included and I had to go download and manually install them.

Hmm that reminds me... when solving the problem I mentioned above from 18 months ago, the only way I could get a separate install of win 10, in order to access my files, I had to just reformat a partition that was backup files from the pc manufacturer. Then I fresh installed win 10 in the original, bigger partition. I "doubt" anything in the partition I reformatted was needed for anything other than restoring to factory condition, but who knows.

Also... once I reinstalled win 10 in C, I then reformatted D (where the temporary win 10 was), but now every time on start up it says it's "attempting to repair drive D". And I sure don't want to restart and get in there changing the startup routine because now I'm scared to restart at all. lol.

Have you updated or otherwise changed any network drivers ?

Although the above actually relates to a problem I used to see on a previous OS quite a bit, it seems during shutdown any network driver issues can result in the effects you mention.

O/T: Mentioning lockups as its above, this machine I'm writing this post on will not work properly with VirtualBox despite my best efforts, it will lock solid 😞 hmm. Oh well. I think I'll start a fresh topic about that at some point.

Edited by AndyF

1 hour ago, AndyF said:

Have you updated or otherwise changed any network drivers ?

Although the above actually relates to a problem I used to see on a previous OS quite a bit, it seems during shutdown any network driver issues can result in the effects you mention.

O/T: Mentioning lockups as its above, this machine I'm writing this post on will not work properly with VirtualBox despite my best efforts, it will lock solid 😞 hmm. Oh well. I think I'll start a fresh topic about that at some point.

well I did start using a new router a few days ago. And I disabled wireless in windows. (doubt that disabling did anything, although possible a change in a setting related to it could affect something). I didn't manually do anything with drivers, but of course it did a check on firmware etc etc and did who knows what during setup.

Btw, I've had other odd issues lately, too, where I got blue screens of death. I bet some of my hardware is close to failing, even if it's unrelated to this lockup issue. the sooner I build my pc, the better, I think. lol.

6 minutes ago, Admin@Stonerhaven.com said:

I feel your pain, I just got everything back up and running after a windows 7 crash (no boot, no repair, no fun) caused by their updates last Tuesday!

If I make toast, get a drink from fridge or breath it causes windows to have errors...lol

I had an issue while still using win 7 where I lost some stuff. Also I know someone who has win 7, wants to update to win 10, but can't because it keeps erroring out even trying to first update to some SP from win 7 and they tried all the troubleshooting stuff and nothing works.

I don't know what MS's deal is lately... like you said, their updates are causing a lot of issues. Not sure if my current one is due to their updates, but I see quite often where people are having updates cause major issues.

And I really don't want to start using a different OS...

14 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

I didn't manually do anything with drivers, but of course it did a check on firmware etc etc and did who knows what during setup.

Would be worth using a tool such as CPU-ID , Speccy or something to really determine what the network hardware is then check for updated drivers from the manufacturer perhaps. The only caveat I want to say here really is generic drivers from the manufacturer compared to the mainboard if its onboard may well work but not 100% suited, a bit like you can get generic chipset drivers. Talking of those it would be well worthwhile checking (chipset drivers) out too perhaps.

Not going to bore you with why I thought it was a network issue though unless you really wanted to know lol.

13 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

I don't know what MS's deal is lately... like you said, their updates are causing a lot of issues. Not sure if my current one is due to their updates, but I see quite often where people are having updates cause major issues.

That is one of the main obstacles to me running W10 unfortunately in that the updates are relatively huge as in near a 'build' and I have to pay per GB so its slightly prohibitive for me to grab a > 1GB 'update' compared to say < 300MB for a previous version. This does remind me in looking into the feasibility of making MacOS run on a PC (as in run 'properly and reliably without jumping through a hundred hoops')

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:09 AM, AndyF said:

Would be worth using a tool such as CPU-ID , Speccy or something to really determine what the network hardware is then check for updated drivers from the manufacturer perhaps. The only caveat I want to say here really is generic drivers from the manufacturer compared to the mainboard if its onboard may well work but not 100% suited, a bit like you can get generic chipset drivers. Talking of those it would be well worthwhile checking (chipset drivers) out too perhaps.

Not going to bore you with why I thought it was a network issue though unless you really wanted to know lol.

That is one of the main obstacles to me running W10 unfortunately in that the updates are relatively huge as in near a 'build' and I have to pay per GB so its slightly prohibitive for me to grab a > 1GB 'update' compared to say < 300MB for a previous version. This does remind me in looking into the feasibility of making MacOS run on a PC (as in run 'properly and reliably without jumping through a hundred hoops')

Thanks. I'll try to figure out how to do that (not normally too successful fixing windows issues) if I end up needing this pc much longer. I hope it's not an issue that will repeat itself on the new build, if the router was somehow involved. This router is a 2018 mnodel, so a very recent router...

Only reason I haven't built the pc yet is I go back and forth on whether to keep these parts or not. I have a 2700x cpu, RAM optimized more for intel, and mid-tower for the case. I would "rather" have intel cpu and a smaller case, but would have to sell the mobo in either of those cases and would have to sell the cpu in the case of switching to intel and sell the case if switching to a smaller case.

So bottom line after fees and all I'd be out around $300 extra to go from 2700x to an intel 9700k... and on passmark they have almost the exact same score. But I do trust the intel name more than amd, so I dunno.

im so tired of this nonsense. Now when I scroll through a story on yahoo (yeah I read stories on there despite them posting story after hilarious story full of lies, such as about that Kentucky incident) it just randomly is suddenly back at the top of the page again.... it doesn't even show any scrolling back to the top it just randomly is at the top again. lol. This never happened until the reset.

One issue I do remember having with W10 about 18 months ago maybe a bit longer was it could get stuck in a loop where it would not start then try to 'repair' itself, fail then restart again and again. Back then it was surprisingly difficult it seemed to make it stop its erm 'hand holding' methods and allow me to get to safe mode. It is highly likely this issue was corrected as I seem to recall (twas the last straw for me then!) an update could cause it in some circumstances, I do remember reading similar posts on the MS forum at that time.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:13 PM, Midnight Modding said:

And I really don't want to start using a different OS...

20 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

im so tired of this nonsense.

Just a FWIW, I ended up going Linux Mint on one HD and Windows on another- If I need windows I boot direct off windows HD otherwise I use Linux and wish I had done this 10 yrs ago. The learning curve sucks after using windows based systems for so long but IMO its well worth it, my PC has never been faster or quieter and can do multiple tasks at one time without the OS slowing anything down.

6 hours ago, Admin@Stonerhaven.com said:

Just a FWIW, I ended up going Linux Mint on one HD and Windows on another- If I need windows I boot direct off windows HD otherwise I use Linux and wish I had done this 10 yrs ago. The learning curve sucks after using windows based systems for so long but IMO its well worth it, my PC has never been faster or quieter and can do multiple tasks at one time without the OS slowing anything down.

doesn't it really limit which programs you can use (without switching over to the windows one)?

Speaking of programs... I can't even remember which FTP client I was using, where I can re0download it now. lol. And since I did two resets, the file it leaves behind telling which programs were removed isn't accurate anymore.

16 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

doesn't it really limit which programs you can use (without switching over to the windows one)?

Speaking of programs... I can't even remember which FTP client I was using, where I can re0download it now. lol. And since I did two resets, the file it leaves behind telling which programs were removed isn't accurate anymore.

I am not a "power user" by any means so take with grain of salt, but  the only thing that got me was- switching email over to Thunderbird from Outlook. ITunes was really only reason I even boot that HD since 2 weeks ago. 

You can also run windows in a Virtual Machine within Linux, I found that to be a bit clunky though.

I have not been a linux guy, I used to hate when everyone I asked about windows would tell me to switch...Now I wish I had listen earlier.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php You can DL and install on a thumb drive and give it a test drive...

1 hour ago, AndyF said:

FileZilla Client is not too bad at all, and free.

Thats what I use too, Used it on windows and was happy Linux had it.

2 hours ago, AndyF said:

FileZilla Client is not too bad at all, and free.

that's what I used to use, but there were various reasons I switched to another similar one and now the name totally escapes me. I assume if I simply search for ftp clients I'll see it and remember. I'd maybe consider FileZilla again... but there were conflicting reports on whether or not you could get an installer to install it without adding unwanted software. Either way, I was slightly happier with the program I replaced it with, for one thing you could double click file names either on your side or the server side and it open them on your pc properly, whereas on FileZilla it would give an error on my side and not open at all on the server side.

1 hour ago, Admin@Stonerhaven.com said:

I am not a "power user" by any means so take with grain of salt, but  the only thing that got me was- switching email over to Thunderbird from Outlook. ITunes was really only reason I even boot that HD since 2 weeks ago. 

You can also run windows in a Virtual Machine within Linux, I found that to be a bit clunky though.

I have not been a linux guy, I used to hate when everyone I asked about windows would tell me to switch...Now I wish I had listen earlier.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php You can DL and install on a thumb drive and give it a test drive...

ok thanks. btw I did use ubuntu very temporarily when jungle mentioned it (when my windows wasn't working the LAST time..), but that is all I've tried and I barely did anything on it. I did notice how lightweight and fast it seemed, but was unsure if there is already good security on the various Linux actual operating systems or not, for instance.

Before all of this happened, my pc was constantly locking up when using edge and firefox, by the way (way before... as in probably a month or longer) and those seem to not be happening after resetting the pc. I was figuring it was hardware issues, ie parts about to go out, but must have been something else... I had done various scans and never found anything, though.

As I figured, just simply typing in "ftp" in a search immediately had me find what it was. lol. WinSCP.

Btw, look at this nonsense. ok, on a site you can download that program on, out of 184 ratings, only 7 give it below 4 stars. That's very good, of course, but check out some of the 7 1 star reviews... One says perfect, one says good work, and one says you can't delete files in it, which isn't true. That's almost half of the 1 star reviews making no sense in their ratings. lol. (and it's not the manufacturer's site, btw.)

I see it's only for windows, though. For windows, some sites rate it as the #1 program, though, and I like it. FileZilla had more issues for me.

Now I start typing messages (on multiple types of sites) and suddenly realize it stopped adding the words in the various editors on the forums, email clients, or whatever I am typing in. The cursor just sits there and no words show up anymore until I click again in the box!

And on yahoo, in particular, like I said, it just randomly ends up back at the top of the page with no scrolling when I am reading articles. lol.

I hope I am not this unlucky when I build the new pc. It's still going to have win 10, so probably a lot of the same issues will happen for me.

10 hours ago, AndyF said:

Edge or another browser ? I'm still using FF but if I'm honest I'm getting quite annoyed with it lately.

It's Edge, but I've been using it and win 10 for years now and these latest issues just started after resetting for some reason. Could be possible I had a recent update that affected it, though. I think I had a windows update not long before I had to do the reset. And I don't think a reset changes the actual versions of win/edge.

I sometimes use firefox. I am not totally happy with any browser. And that reminds me... firefox has frozen up more than usual lately, too. And I'm still not 100% confident in the parts I chose, so haven't built my new pc (mentioning because of the very low chance of maybe a hardware issue affecting some of this).

Now check out this issue. lol. (I use the term loosely, because it's no big deal.)

If I click on a page in an area that has nothing clickable, the cursor shows up there flashing like it does when you can type. lol. For instance, say there's an image in an email (not linked to anything) or an icon on a page, clicking by it puts the cursor there blinking. I've sure never seen that happen ever until now.

Cool. It ahs updates it wants to install again. lol.

Should I dare let it? I think I shouldn't... If the issue really has something to do with networking, it will just mess up again, most likely, and lock this up and make me have to once again reinstall stuff.

I probably should try to keep this pc running until I build the other pc and then be done.