Community

I have the lone consumer Samsung oled ever made, which was a curved one, and generally I don't like curved for a tv, but have any of you used a curved monitor for your pc use and do you like it or not?

Especially since my vision sucks, I am thinking maybe curved would actually be useful to me for computer work... because I have to sit close to the monitor. Then again, the curve may not be steep enough to make much difference even then. Hmm. I;'m going to go look at some in person because I was so against curved in the past, I just totally ignored them in the stores.

Edited by Midnight Modding

Yes, I use a curved monitor.

IMG_20170217_120221.thumb.jpg.abbbb0bb6c712ef6b20e381a1f4e0779.jpg

I think they're rather pointless for TV's, since you're sitting so far away from them that the curve would probably look more awkward than anything.

For desktop monitors ,however, a curved ultrawide monitor is great.

Anyone have a 4k monitor? Some say the difference is noticeable on a monitor, but I also read that many apps aren't even compatible with the resolution.

Due to how resolutions work on computers and my vision being bad, I'd probably just leave it in a lower resolution most of the time, anyway, then change it to 4k for a movie or something.

Amusingly I just recently sold my ultrawide monitor for a 27" 4k monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GRM2MV/

I love it. Coding on this thing is wonderful, text is super crisp and sharp.

20190215-DSC05361-Edit.thumb.jpg.a38ca3054376eeb042f52cb27b54a92c.jpg

Also, this thing can literally be turned into a portrait monitor in seconds. Coding on a massive 4k portrait monitor is quite a spectacle, hahah. It can be very nice when working on massive single-file libraries and the likes.

9 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

@Makoto 2017.2.3!!! Update!

I didn't even realize I was so behind on updates hahaha. I'm guessing it's because I nuked JetBrains Toolbox from automatically starting and now it's so far behind it won't even auto-update,
nhWLzUX.png

Thanks for pointing that out 😄

11 minutes ago, Makoto said:

I didn't even realize I was so behind on updates hahaha. I'm guessing it's because I nuked JetBrains Toolbox from automatically starting and now it's so far behind it won't even auto-update,
nhWLzUX.png

Thanks for pointing that out 😄

Good luck! Kinda bites it won't update that far... 

You gave me an interesting idea for my desk, portrait mode... I've been doing that at the day job, but hadn't considered it for my IDE. 

Edited by Aiwa

Thankfully it was just a simple matter of uninstalling/reinstalling and automatically porting my old configuration over 😛 

I've tinkered with it a bit, it's quite neat, though I still doo most of my coding in landscape mode right now.

13 hours ago, Midnight Modding said:

Anyone have a 4k monitor? Some say the difference is noticeable on a monitor, but I also read that many apps aren't even compatible with the resolution.

Due to how resolutions work on computers and my vision being bad, I'd probably just leave it in a lower resolution most of the time, anyway, then change it to 4k for a movie or something.

I bought a Sceptre U278W-4000R when it was on a fantastic sale price ($239) at Amazon, though it's no longer available apparently.

My PC video card will only drive it to 1920x1080, but it does look a bit better than my ASUS VG-247 on the same card at that resolution.

On my Macbook the monitor looks really good, though, and I love it.

27 minutes ago, Mark H said:

My PC video card will only drive it to 1920x1080, but it does look a bit better than my ASUS VG-247 on the same card at that resolution.

Upgrade your video card gramps

(I'll sell you one of my old 970's)

Edited by Makoto

I got a 1070 ti and there is no way at all I need that... I don't game on a pc. I got it just "in case" I do 4k video editing. And I got 32GB RAM which no way do I need, but I guess if some really resource intensive programs come out in a few years I'd be glad.... Right now I'm using a whole 4GB RAM and have got by decently. lol.

Because of my vision being bad, there are all of these other annoying things to consider when buying a monitor. I think I do want a 4k one, just for the option of that res to be there. I use a crazily low res usually, though, because of my issues.

Edited by Midnight Modding

On 2/15/2019 at 8:01 AM, Makoto said:

Amusingly I just recently sold my ultrawide monitor for a 27" 4k monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GRM2MV/

I love it. Coding on this thing is wonderful, text is super crisp and sharp.

20190215-DSC05361-Edit.thumb.jpg.a38ca3054376eeb042f52cb27b54a92c.jpg

Also, this thing can literally be turned into a portrait monitor in seconds. Coding on a massive 4k portrait monitor is quite a spectacle, hahah. It can be very nice when working on massive single-file libraries and the likes.

^^^^^^^

tenor.gif

18 hours ago, Matt said:

I have the 27" 4K LG monitor too, but I never use it at full 4K resolution. I'd need a magnifying glass. 😁

desk.jpg

Would for me, too, but as far as the size of 27 inches that is what seemed to me to be the right size when I was looking in stores. I don't want one bigger, most likely, and a step down to 24 looked a bit small. I am going from a 20 inch that isn't widescreen, so I hope I don't feel weird when using a widescreen as computer monitor, since it's rare to find any that aren't. 🙂 

Btw, I see all who have posted pics seem to like dark themes for editors. Maybe I should try that and see if it's better or worse for my vision.

On 2/20/2019 at 5:02 AM, Midnight Modding said:

Btw, I see all who have posted pics seem to like dark themes for editors. Maybe I should try that and see if it's better or worse for my vision.

Easier on the eyes I guess for some, better than bright whites.....if only those that used the software the code created had the same option. 

homer simpson idea GIF

Curved Monitors are good and very cool looking and regards gaming looks very good but end of the day with all curved that if you watching movies or doing things like old games then you going to get black boxes on the sides. Streaming, even worse to get the resolution right.   So I'm using Asus PG279Q  that's 27inch IPS g-sync at 240hz

DSC00055.thumb.JPG.c1c33ccab04fab83a1a7ce2a59421798.JPG

9 hours ago, EmpireKickass said:

Curved Monitors are good and very cool looking and regards gaming looks very good but end of the day with all curved that if you watching movies or doing things like old games then you going to get black boxes on the sides. Streaming, even worse to get the resolution right.   So I'm using Asus PG279Q  that's 27inch IPS g-sync at 240hz

DSC00055.thumb.JPG.c1c33ccab04fab83a1a7ce2a59421798.JPG

Even though I don't game on a pc, just in case I would "like" to get a 5k IPS monitor with gsync and a high refresh rate, but wow are they expensive. if not needing 4k it isn't so bad, but 4k along with all the other stuff soars those prices up when gsync is involved.

I forget if I mentioned this, but I have the very rare curved Samsung oled, so I know how a big tv is when curved and watching movies. On that, you get sued to it, but it still is sometimes annoying. But I haven't checked it out on a monitor.