Jump to content

Community

Together are we powerful?


Recommended Posts

Ok... just a hypothetical question...

IPS probably has a complete range of types of forums with thousands of categories....

What if IPS decided to compete with Reddit?

Reddit forums are almost at the top of the Internet most trafficked sites in the world.

What if all of our sites became part of a massive IPS "Community" where we could all keep our own sites, styles ... ownership and monetization... yet be in some sort of larger IPS Forum community like Reddit?

Would we have enough traffic to feedback loop and generate even MORE traffic from that?

Your thoughts.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't think this gonna happen as Reddit and IPS are let's say kind of a same business aspects but with different targets? 

Reddit have been build for that reason while IPS have been build for selling their product. 

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an interesting thought.  

I've seen suggestions elsewhere for "federated" forums that are distinct, but are all part of a master community.  Tapatalk is moving in that direction with its Tapatalk app that combines all of its 100,000s forums and it's development of blockchain-based user reputation that follows you to any Tapatalk forum.  I've also seen Mastodon, which provides federated instances of Twitter clones with feeds for individual and federated instances.    

On a more realistic matter, if you're a one stop community, it makes it easier for users to know where to go since it provides a little bit of everything.  There's power in numbers and it does make it easier for federated instances to pick up new users since users are already part of the network.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2019 at 7:45 PM, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

Your thoughts.

One of the challenges to bringing more than one IPS powered website together is the lack of easy discoverability.  A small percentage of members here provide a link to their websites or provide any idea what their website specializes in.  How would you or I know if masterkya or kmk or Joel R operate websites we would personally be interested in joining or if any of their content would be of interest to our members or a collective group?  There is value to your hypothetical question but there are a lot of barriers to overcome for even a handful of websites to band together.  How would you bring together 10 websites to create your "community" as a starting point for this conversation?  How would your idea work at that level?  What would it take to exponentially scale your idea so that people use your new "community" instead of Reddit? 

 

Edited by Christopher Anderson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone mentioned Tapatalk. If it was anything like Tapatalk where I could opt out my community I wouldn't have a problem with it. I belong to a niche that questionable affiliation directly impacts the site's reputation. In other words, I wouldn't want to belong on a reddit type of system. We'd surely be trolled by other forums which oppose our existence on said system. And that brings me to another question. If such system was implemented and a central or passport like login across the system was had, and my niche or board's users were black listed by others in a "spam defense" would that effect them on my site? Just something to consider.

I also prefer to stay away from a "federated" type of system online. Before you know it people are going to be implementing guidelines and rules etc. We'll be having to comply with various cookie type warnings, GDPR, etc. Before you know it they'll be micro managing our content or pushing it down based on how well we align with the federation's mission in their site listing or search queries. Tis the nature of man. No thank you.

Summation, having an opt out would be fine for me.  Doesn't hurt to offer a service as long as it isn't forced upon me (within reason of how much the product increases in price for only offering the service). I'd prefer the service were offered at an additional cost for those that wish to contribute to such community.

 

Edited by Christforums
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

Reddit forums are almost at the top of the Internet most trafficked sites in the world.

Not that I disagree with your post, just offering a thought. Some of us don't care about traffic. I consider much of it useless, undesirable, and/or outright objectionable.

 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:05 AM, Christforums said:

Someone mentioned Tapatalk. If it was anything like Tapatalk where I could opt out my community I wouldn't have a problem with it. I belong to a niche that questionable affiliation directly impacts the site's reputation. In other words, I wouldn't want to belong on a reddit type of system. We'd surely be trolled by other forums which oppose our existence on said system. And that brings me to another question. If such system was implemented and a central or passport like login across the system was had, and my niche or board's users were black listed by others in a "spam defense" would that effect them on my site? Just something to consider.

I also prefer to stay away from a "federated" type of system online. Before you know it people are going to be implementing guidelines and rules etc. We'll be having to comply with various cookie type warnings, GDPR, etc. Before you know it they'll be micro managing our content or pushing it down based on how well we align with the federation's mission in their site listing or search queries. Tis the nature of man. No thank you.

Summation, having an opt out would be fine for me.  Doesn't hurt to offer a service as long as it isn't forced upon me (within reason of how much the product increases in price for only offering the service). I'd prefer the service were offered at an additional cost for those that wish to contribute to such community.

 

I agree with everything you're saying here, although I did not see the OP's suggestion as something that would be forced on anyone. Maybe I misunderstood. In any case, something like this should never be forced, but it could be something that might take off and do well on a voluntary basis. Perhaps a pinned topic, prominently situated, where every member here is allowed to make one reply, which could be just a link or as elaborate the member wants, to promote his IPS forum? I do something like this on my site. I have a "Member Archive" forum where each member is allowed to make one topic to serve as an index to his self-curated content (not a function of search) on the site. Replies to these topics are not allowed; I want them to remain static in this forum. I also have another forum called Promotions where each member is allowed to make a topic whenever he has something to promote elsewhere on the net. Again, other members are not allowed to reply to the topics. I want them to remain static and not be bumped or otherwise influenced by comments/replies. Yes, that's smalltime as far as IPS is concerned, but it could serve as a place to start: a voluntary list of forums that IPS would ultimately know how to promote much better than I.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2019 at 1:04 PM, Joel R said:

 

On a more realistic matter, if you're a one stop community, it makes it easier for users to know where to go since it provides a little bit of everything.  There's power in numbers and it does make it easier for federated instances to pick up new users since users are already part of the network.  

Same reason why shopping malls worked for years and also why amazon is kicking but today 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners. See more about cookies and our Privacy Policy