Move IPS Into Sub-diretory From Root

Ford Doctor

Briefly....... When you transfer the files, put them into the subdirectory of your choice, and edit the conf_global.php file to change the board_url variable to the new location (e.g. http://domain.com/folder-name) then in the ACP check the file storage configuration to make sure the server paths are correct. Once that's done, run the support tool to regenerate the cache.

Also see our Guide for transferring to a new server, which has more details:

Yes, I read the guide and I made a practice move without any issues. I get the moving into the sub directory and editing my paths in the configuration file but my domain, being the main domain for my host points to the root directory. That is what needs the workaround as for most hosts do not let you configure where the domain points to as is possible with all of my sub-domains.

Yes, if your domain points to the root of the site, then putting the software in a sub-directory will change the URL to your site.

It will change to http://your-domain.com/folder-name/  or whatever that chosen folder-name may be. "community" or "board" or whatever.

Unless I've misunderstood what you want to accomplish, there isn't a provision to put the software into a sub-directory of the root, and still keep the root domain's URL.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:26 AM, Ford Doctor said:

New host says use redirect in the .htaccess in the root.

I’m a bit confused by what you are wanting to accomplish (not in the philosophical sense, but in the literal sense). What do you want your url for your invision site to be, and where do you want the files?

The short of it is I have several websites and I want ALL OF THEM in their own sub-directories for simplicity. Call me OCD. With anything substantial like IPS in the root along with other sites in sub directories it can become confusing and make backing up a little more difficult. It is working with the redirect my host provided just fine and my URL is no different than if IPS was in the root.  Like any other time you set up your IPS installation, you have to set the URL and the path's  correctly. In this case the redirect also takes care of the URL and setting the path keeps it all working. The instructions for this are the top question in their (host's)  FAQ's which leads me to think I am not alone on this however we don't know what reason others have for doing this are. 😉

18 hours ago, Ford Doctor said:

The short of it is I have several websites and I want ALL OF THEM in their own sub-directories for simplicity. Call me OCD. With anything substantial like IPS in the root along with other sites in sub directories it can become confusing and make backing up a little more difficult. It is working with the redirect my host provided just fine and my URL is no different than if IPS was in the root.  Like any other time you set up your IPS installation, you have to set the URL and the path's  correctly. In this case the redirect also takes care of the URL and setting the path keeps it all working. The instructions for this are the top question in their (host's)  FAQ's which leads me to think I am not alone on this however we don't know what reason others have for doing this are. 😉

Ok, but again I’m confused. It would be typical that each domain has its own folder assigned. OCD has nothing to do with it, that’s just a standard set up. When you say:

“I have several websites and I want ALL OF THEM in their own sub-directories for simplicity”

its actually really confusing because you aren’t specifying if you are running multiple websites off one domain, or you have multiple domains (with your ips install having its own) and the host has them all pointed to the same folder. 

Like a common set up would be for files to be served like this:

/var/www/domain1/ - contains domain1.com site

/var/www/domainips/ - contains domainips.com site

There’s no practical reason you need to use htaccess if the domain you are using for invision isn’t used for your other websites. If it is (that is, you own one domain, want invision to load when user goes to domain1.com, but want domain1.com/rocketships/ to load an entirely different site), then your host is right you need to use htaccess to specify root request to sub directory redirect rules. 

Archived