FileStorage for reactions and emoticons

desti

HardCoded? 

In ACP-Storage Settings sets as .../.../uploads, but saved in uploads/emoticons/ and uploads/reactions/
If create new Storage methods with uploades/emot and uploads/react, save in uploads/emot/emoticons and uploads/react/reactions. 

Yes, this is normal as I mentioned in another topic.

When you set up file storage directories, think of those directories as base directories. The individual areas that store files may or may not create subdirectories underneath them (as you can see, emoticons and reactions both do, as do most other file storage methods).

On 1/7/2019 at 6:52 PM, bfarber said:

Yes, this is normal

No, this is not normal!  I cannot think so :) If I see /home/user/forum/uploads/ near Reactions *, I understand it as a base directory. And if I want to store reactions files in superpuper directory, it has to be in /home/user/forum/uploads/superpuper, but not in /home/user/forum/uploads/superpuper/reactions/ Javascript, css, resource files too. 

Try to understand my idea: if U set that directory to default value and extend Storage Settings list for all types of file activity - it will be beautiful! You should not depend on hardcoded dirname, you just ask DB and get the necessary storage data.  What prevents to code it, except the loved "as intended and leave"?

And perhaps it will allow to fulfill my dream of storage for PM, personal storage for any application :) 

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/7/2019 at 7:52 AM, bfarber said:

Yes, this is normal as I mentioned in another topic.

When you set up file storage directories, think of those directories as base directories. The individual areas that store files may or may not create subdirectories underneath them (as you can see, emoticons and reactions both do, as do most other file storage methods).

Is there a listing somewhere with which areas create subdirectories & which do not?

On 1/19/2019 at 12:32 AM, hawksfan said:

Is there a listing somewhere with which areas create subdirectories & which do not?

Quite a few (in fact, probably most) of the storage configurations create subdirectories. Attachments, for instance, create "monthly_YYYY_MM" subfolders, theme resources create "css_built_X" and "set_resources_X" subfolders, and javascript create "javascript_(area)" subfolders. I can't off the top of my head think of any areas that do not create subfolders (perhaps Pages Media, but then you usually create your own in the AdminCP in the media manager).

Archived