Option for public clubs to still use 'members' option

dean84

Can we allow clubs to have an option where even public clubs show and allow members to join.

Clubs is a great add-on, but if for example you are creating fan pages where you want members to join their favourite clubs (example football teams) but still allow other fans to comment, you lose the member feature.

Example:
You support Manchester United - so you join it as a member and join the list of all other Man Utd fans
Your rival is Liverpool, they won't want to join as a member (fan), but still would be able to post in that club for a bit of friendly banter between rivals.

Something like this would be useful for any site that would utilise clubs for things like sports and so on. But the current options of making a club public, kills the way you could utilise the members join/list as fans of that club.

I hope this makes sense 🙂

Another thing that stops working when clubs are set to 'public' is that you can't add members as 'leaders' and 'moderators' as there is no member list to work from.

Yet this would still be handy to allow, as even though a club is publis, you should still be able to set leaders and moderators to the club.

My suggestion is something like so:
  •  Public - Everyone can see the club and its posts, and can participate without joining.
  • Semi-Public Semi-Public - Everyone can see the club and its posts, and can participate without joining. Everyone can join.
  • Open Open - Everyone can see the club and its posts, but only members can participate. Everyone can join.
  • Closed Closed - Everyone can see the club and who's in it, but only members can see posts and participate. Users need to ask a leader to join.
  • Private Private - Only members can find the club and see its posts. Users need to be invited by a leader to join.

It should be easy to implement as even when the club is public, there is still parts that use the member list feature even though its disabled.

524540806_2018-12-23(2).thumb.png.623fcac7af73636611ae60795f05fa99.png

• Shows which clubs you are a member of (the green tick)
  • The list of 'my clubs' shows member count. This would cause users to think they are not able to join the club, and wonder why when there are already a number of current members.

Sorry if it seems I am talking to myself 😛 but I been having a think on how something like this may work. Or even how it could be implemented.

Keep the 4 options as is. But allow each feature a separate setting.

For example, when you select the forum, you have the option to edit the forum. That menu gives you the option to edit the title. But could it also include an option for non public groups to "allow guests to ....."? Guests being signed up members of the site but are not members of the club (not all guests, prob could be worded much better :p)

For Forum:

• Title
  • Description
  • Allow guests to reply to thread
  •  - if Yes: Allow guests to create a topic

For Calendar

• Name
  • Allow guests to create Events
  • Allow Comments
  • - if Yes: Allow guests to comment
  • Allow Reviews
  • -if Yes: Allow guests to review

For Blogs

• Name
  • Description
  • Allow guests to create blog
  • Allow guests to comment on blog
  • Enable RSS feed

I think clubs is a great feature, I just feel it also has room for improvement to make it useful to a much wider audience. Id also like maybe one day that we can utilise pages within clubs. For example, if running a football site, you could create a pages tab, that would allow you to place league tables for that club, or even fixtures/results tabs. Even if that is just allowing the creation of a custom page, where we could place the template key. Club enhancements allow the creation of a home page. But the ability to add custom tabs in the same fashion would be great

• 3 weeks later...

Archived