Warning, if no one is left in a private conversation

MMXII

I have users complaining about private messages that they have sent but never went to the recipient's inbox. I was wondering how this could happen, because I have never heard of such a problem before. It took me quite a while to find out what actually happened here: They responded to a private conversation that had no participants anymore (all had left). They did not take notice of the header, which states how many users are still in a conversation, because they scrolled down to the latest replies (it was a conversation which already had quite a few answers).

I don't know why answering to an empty conversation is even possible. If there are no participants, the message will never be sent to anyone. Anyways, here is my suggestion:

• When there is no (or no more) participant in a conversation and someone tries to post a reply, there should be a warning that informs about the fact that there is no one who will receive that message. Alternatively: Maybe there should not be an option to answer at all, if there are no participants.
  • When there are participants again (e.g. due to an invite to said conversation), of course the warning should go away and regular posting should be possible again.

Thank you for this info! Will check asap if this still works with the latest version 4.3.6.

I seriously hope though that this will make it into the core. In my opinion this is more than just a missing feature because you can use the software in a way that makes no sense, causes confusion and probably was not even intended to work this way (because... for what reason?).

Archived