Jump to content

Community

Charles

4.4 Preview

Recommended Posts

After several years of development it appears the 4.3.6 code base has achieved a level of stability that I'm sure your customers appreciate greatly.  After looking through your blog postings and customer comments it appears that your upcoming release will include a "LOT" of changes and/or additions to your code. It would be nice if you could do a more phased rollout of new code to be tested by the community a little at a time.  The beta testing phase might take a little longer but it should alleviate the amount of dot releases you will have to release afterwards which is troublesome for your company, customers and developers.  Beta testers typically test areas they are comfortable with or on areas with functionality they will want to use leaving some of the code base only tested by IPS developers.  Based on the amount of "fixed" issues you have documented in your Release Notes your product development and testing methodology could be improved upon.

Edited by Christopher Anderson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Christopher Anderson said:

After several years of development it appears the 4.3.6 code base has achieved a level of stability that I'm sure your customers appreciate greatly.  After looking through your blog postings and customer comments it appears that your upcoming release will include a "LOT" of changes and/or additions to your code. It would be nice if you could do a more phased rollout of new code to be tested by the community a little at a time.  The beta testing phase might take a little longer but it should alleviate the amount of dot releases you will have to release afterwards which is troublesome for your company, customers and developers.  Beta testers typically test areas they are comfortable with or on areas with functionality they will want to use leaving some of the code base only tested by IPS developers.  Based on the amount of "fixed" issues you have documented in your Release Notes your product development and testing methodology could be improved upon.

Which is why you should join the alpha and start testing!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Which is why you should join the alpha and start testing!!  

Hi Joel,

For you Alpha testers are you fellas migrating your current version of 4.3xx and testing with current themes and 3rd party products? Just curious as to whether current themes will work or there will be a waiting period for 3rd party companies to update their products for compatibility. Are the changes enough that most 3rd party products won't work without serious error?

Edited by Christforums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Christforums said:

Hi Joel,

For you Alpha testers are you fellas migrating your current version of 4.3xx and testing with current themes and 3rd party products? Just curious as to whether current themes will work or there will be a waiting period for 3rd party companies to update their products for compatibility. Are the changes enough that most 3rd party products won't work without serious error?

The alpha is a preview site, it isn't yet available for customers to download. When we reach the beta stage, customers will be able to download and install on their own platforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will version 4.4 have Service Works enabled? (Not active in alpha version)

Only the manifest is not enough for Android to automatically prompt users to add the site to the home screen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted my comment above after reading the following blog post:

DanielF commented: More information will be posted in a separate topic with the 4.4 changes for 3rd party developers 🙂

IPS has dramatically improved upon posting more informative Release Notes for builds but they still leave stuff out which makes testing a "very" hit or miss proposition for any customer willing to beta test.  No such document has been posted for the alpha build so yes folks could test but what exactly are they testing for and what is the best methods for doing it?  So far IPS hasn't provided any structure around this current beta testing cycle or what steps they took to test their code themselves.  Is everything mentioned in the various blog posts included in this Alpha?  Alphas and Betas are great if there is structure built around it and the developer is very forthcoming with details.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Christforums said:

Hi Joel,

For you Alpha testers are you fellas migrating your current version of 4.3xx and testing with current themes and 3rd party products? Just curious as to whether current themes will work or there will be a waiting period for 3rd party companies to update their products for compatibility. Are the changes enough that most 3rd party products won't work without serious error?

You can join the alpha testing too!  It's publicly available at InvisionAlpha.com as announced at the top of the topic by @Charles 🙂 

There probably will be template changes (which impact themes) and code changes (which impact plugins and apps), so I think if you're heavily dependent on third party apps and plugins then you probably want to be more cautious.  Every file in the Marketplace has a compatibility field, so you can use that to gauge if your community and mods are 4.4 ready.  

Edited by Joel R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Joel R said:

Every file in the Marketplace has a compatibility field, so you can use that to gauge if your community and mods are 4.4 ready.

This is true...I just wish Invision would start making their own 4.2,4.3 etc. filters work more effectively than they do - including "Highest Rated" and other options, which in my experience simply don't work right in the Marketplace.  Hey, I love you guys but just sayin'...:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dayh said:

That lazy loading thing, yeah you...

7DA69A0E-3BA5-4380-ABED-A2EFE3465ADC.gif.2f2fb46e2391e022414e1c53423898bc.gif

4.4 is full of amazing enhancements, but if I would have to choose, lazy loading, club navigation customization and ACP notifications are my favorite ones, next to the other minor enhancements & code improvements, which we haven't even mentioned yet.

 

giphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jennifer M said:

Trust us

The point I've tried to make in this thread is that you have finally earned a certain level of trust from your customers with the current release.  I like new features and improvements to existing ones "if" they can be rolled out in a fashion that retains our trust in your product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Christopher Anderson said:

All I hope for is that IPS engages their customers (not me as I am way too wordy) in a conversation around testing. 

That's always the point for our big point upgrades (like 4.4). That's why we involve the community to engage in our public alpha, of course our own site upgrade when we get to that point and ask you to submit bugs/reports so we can resolve them prior to release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any updates/changes to the Editor (desktop mode mainly) ? 🙂

I was not able to immediately find anything mentioned about this.

Edited by AndyF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

Not really - it was upgraded to 4.11.0, but anything else would be in the Blog.

Thanks. I'll check their 'tracker' to see what was changed/updated in that regard.

I'd realised there was not a mass change as there was nothing I could immediately see in our Blog/News entries here but I wanted to check what version was in use in 4.4 that's all. Thanks. :smile:

EDIT... Its fixed in their demo so I'll check the preview out later in that regard to see if its OK in that.

Edited by AndyF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners. See more about cookies and our Privacy Policy