Ignore Forums

About This File

This plugin will allow users (from selected groups) to ignore forums. Ignored forums won't have their topics appearing in Activity Streams or Search Results, depending on the settings. Admin can also decide if wants to hide the ignored forum; this will remove it from viewing but the forum is still acessible via URL or inAccount Settings -> Ignored Forums.

This looks like the currently best way to implement one of the long requested features - to show topics from all forums, except selected ones. You can also do it currently in activity stream, but every time you add new forum, you need to modify the stream.

Btw, what about topic feed widgets, are the settings respected there as well?

Almost certainly I will buy this. 

48 minutes ago, jair101 said:

Btw, what about topic feed widgets, are the settings respected there as well?

It wasn't doing that but now it is. I just added it. The only "weird" thing is the ignored forum view:

vrxXoAM.png

No topic will show up as I removed them from the items with permission to view. Topics will appear if the user stop ignoring this forum by clicking in the black button or via Account Settings.

The yellow topics are from other forums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, hjmaier said:

And a remark one of my forum users had:

If you ignore a forum and you enter the ignored forum, it appears to be empty. No topics show up. You have to unignore it to see any topic. In our opinion, if you enter intentionally an ignored forum, it's topics should appear.

That was I told here:

On 12/20/2018 at 9:38 AM, Adriano Faria said:

It wasn't doing that but now it is. I just added it. The only "weird" thing is the ignored forum view:

vrxXoAM.png

No topic will show up as I removed them from the items with permission to view. Topics will appear if the user stop ignoring this forum by clicking in the black button or via Account Settings.

The yellow topics are from other forums.

Sorry, I can’t change how it works at every request.

That is necessary otherwise you will keep seeing its topics in widgets, profile, etc.

Edited by Adriano Faria
1 hour ago, hjmaier said:

If you ignore a forum and you enter the ignored forum, it appears to be empty. No topics show up. You have to unignore it to see any topic. In our opinion, if you enter intentionally an ignored forum, it's topics should appear.

Had an idea and might work. I’ll remove topics in the widget directly and will show topics again. I’ll make some tests tomorrow. 

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Ziggs said:

Am I understanding correctly that the admin can set certain forums to be ignored, by default, for everyone?   If so, I'll order immediately.

Hi there, no. It's a user feature. User will be able to ignore specific forums in their Account Settings. Admin can "protect" forums, so user will not be able to ignore them.

3 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Hi there, no. It's a user feature. User will be able to ignore specific forums in their Account Settings. Admin can "protect" forums, so user will not be able to ignore them.

Oh.  I really need to be able to mark a forum as "ignored" and then allow the users to decide if they want to see it in their activity streams or not.

Just now, Ziggs said:

Oh.  I really need to be able to mark a forum as "ignored" and then allow the users to decide if they want to see it in their activity streams or not.

That's not the goal of this resource. Let me know if you want to make this as a custom job. Send a PM if you're insterested.

21 minutes ago, Ziggs said:

Can't you simply filter out the forum from the default unread content stream? Do not forget to update it after you add new forums though. 

7 minutes ago, jair101 said:

Can't you simply filter out the forum from the default unread content stream? Do not forget to update it after you add new forums though. 

I thought that was an option but I'm not able to find it in the Admin CP.

11 minutes ago, jair101 said:

3 minutes ago, Ziggs said:

Nevermind, I figured it out.   Had to toggle the content type in the stream, and then set the exclusions.

5 minutes ago, Ziggs said:

image.thumb.png.0314437e94dea906b156cc8ed10e6e6c.png

image.thumb.png.a12d7544d4d98b89bfc34099b6b96de0.png

Remove the checkbox from "All" on the second screenshot and you will be able to select the forums, which you want to include.

Again, keep in mind that new forums will automatically be deselected, so if you want them included, you need to add them back to the stream.  

• 1 month later...