What is a “Reserved” member?

Millipede

I’ve just had a new member register (via Google) but with no name. Their history goes as far as “Linked Google account”. A new column has appeared in Members, called “Reserved”, where this member has been placed.

What does “Reserved” mean? That their account is “reserved” until they next try to log in and fill in a name?

The user logged in, but no name was able to be pulled from the remote service and the user has not yet supplied one locally. This is a pretty normal thing, actually, when you have remote login services (Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc.) enabled.

You can by and large simply ignore "Reserved" members. If they do not complete the process, their accounts will be released automatically after a period of time.

Thanks, Mark. I already had that set to 7 days, which it inherited from my relatively recent upgrade from IPB v.3. I didn't realise it applied to "Reserved" as well as validating members, probably as I'd never seen the "Reserved" tab till it appeared the other day.

I suppose my confusion (if that's what it was) is that in V.3 both validating and "Reserved" went into the validating group, so seeing this new-to-me "Reserved" had me wondering if it was something new in v.4 :smile:

Apologies for any confusion. @Mark H's reply relates to members who are pending validation which is a little bit different from what we're talking about.

"Reserved" members can be deleted as soon as 1 hour after their registration (referencing 4.4's codebase). This is automatic and there is no configuration options to control this.

Whoops, yes, my mistake. I mixed up "validating" and "incomplete".

In v3, "incomplete" registrations were those which were started with e.g. Facebook, but never completed for whatever reason, and they were never removed. You could see them on the Members page, "Incomplete" sub-tab. They had to be deleted manually.

This was an oversight we corrected in v4, and are handled as Brandon noted above.

It's amazing how quickly (6 months in my case) one can forget how some things worked in v.3! Yes, "Incomplete"... I remember now, and yes, it seems identical to "Reserved".

I don't remember ever having any member in v.3 "Incomplete" ever returning. That one member I had in "Reserved" stayed there for 24 hrs, after which I deleted it.

Thanks both for your replies.

Archived