Limit Support Request titles, just had one 196 characters!

NeedCoffee

We had a user write virtually an essay in the subject line of a Support Request, which really messed up the display of the ticket in the Support area. I checked all the settings and cannot see a way to limit the number of characters for Support Request titles. I'll ask IPS support, but posting it here as feedback too.

Update from IPS support ticket: Apparently no setting anywhere currently to stop this. There is a setting for topic titles as we know, but nothing to stop you doing the full 255 in support requests. Hopefully this post and my demo ticket will spur them to bring in an option in a future IPB release :)

:laugh: someone at IPS has changed my ticket title now - I guess they are strongly in agreement that it's far too long! It now looks like this:

1725201708_ScreenShot2018-12-14at20_47_49.png.ef69b8b7d97787597820490c73e40056.png

Rather than this (notice the ticket number is the same)

1520458560_ScreenShot2018-12-13at22_14_16.thumb.png.fc81a62fd77735f20ad2258b1b6c8b11.png

Was that you @Mark H or someone from the management? Either way, I trust we'll see this fix in the next version now that you've decided it was too long for the IPS desk :cool:

14 hours ago, bfarber said:

Support requests can be created via email - how would you handle that? Reject the email? Truncate the subject to whatever max length you specify?

If it exceeds length, truncate. Then prepend the content with a full length  Subject: line.

Maybe not an awesome idea, but an idea nonetheless so tickets aren't lost, nor data.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 4:09 PM, bfarber said:

Support requests can be created via email - how would you handle that? Reject the email? Truncate the subject to whatever max length you specify?

Surely stopping some abuse of the character limit (i.e. ones created via form) is better than doing nothing at all in the hope this doesn't happen very often @Charles? You wouldn't have character limits at all inside IPB if you applied this logic - but in fact you have them in several places, just not here 🙂

Archived