5.0 - A Discussion

AlexWright

I am not trying to stomp on your excitement @SammyS

It's just that I spend so much time dialing in behavior, performance and functionality, the right custom apps, payment gateways, daily work flow and process, plus server settings. It sounds like an actual nightmare to have to start over on this. I can't imagine why I would want to do that???

At the very least it would cause me to lose a significant amount of sales and frustrate my users. For what benefit? What new "must have" feature is so important that I want to go through that again?

I will never forget how hard it was going from 3 to 4 and if I never have to do that again in my entire life it will still be too soon.

Do you see where I am coming from here?

Edited by SJ77

37 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

It's just that I spend so much time dialing in behavior, performance and functionality, the right custom apps, payment gateways, daily work flow and process, plus server settings. It sounds like an actual nightmare to have to start over on this. I can't imagine why I would want to do that???

At the very least it would cause me to lose a significant amount of sales and frustrate my users. For what benefit? What new "must have" feature is so important that I want to go through that again?

I will never forget how hard it was going from 3 to 4 and if I never have to do that again in my entire life it will still be too soon.

We certainly understand that 🙂I'm almost positive v4 will be maintained for a considerable period of time after v5 is available. That said, we of course need to continue to press forward and modernize the platform, especially in terms of UI and taking advantage of more modern approaches to development. We will of course do everything we can to make it as painless as possible when the time comes.

13 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

There's always going to be a cost to upgrading, whether it's loss of features, functionality, custom work, and the expense needed to recreate the items you must have.  You should upgrade only when you feel you gain more out of the upgrade than what it costs.  Marginal benefit needs to be greater than marginal cost.  

In general, I agree with you though. Im not sure how reinventing forums for the fifth time is compelling enough to get anyone to upgrade.  There are dozens of incremental improvements that can still be made on the 4.x series to polish and I'm going to be vocally disappointed if a pivot is made  to 5.x prematurely.  

I want:

• CLI-tools for install/build/update/enable/disable apps/plugins/themes. It will provide simplier operation many instances.
  • Any technology, which provide staing framework in background all time. Not default PHP method of die after every request (I know about opcache and other methods, which speed up this, but mainly it's a symptom fixing, not the core of problem). Of course, this point will increase the threshold of entry into IPS. But we want to be "the best" or "just one of"? All have their price. If somebody interesting about that - there is a good article of positive experience at Badoo.
  • Support working as a cluster (on multiple nodes) from the box? I mean some status pages, statistics, logs filter by server node, etc.. (nexus module doesn't do this stuff).
  • Some app/plugin revise tool? Example: if application 'money' use hook for \IPS\Member::load() in IPS 5.1, than if in IPS 5.2 this load method changed - the revise tool should notify about needing to revise 'money' hook. If not changed in original code => not highlight hook. Not so difficult to implement it as it heard. We have a hooks table with classes, we can simple having classess history in a lot of ways.
  • Testing scripts? :laugh: Please don't laugh at me.. I write (sometimes) test cases for my apps inside IPS. Without total coverage and without doing this job 'as becase that good'. It provide better controll when we have a lot of apps/plugins and want to check them together in newer version of IPS. So tests very helps me. From IPS I'd like to have IPS's tests of IPS Framework. It will provide to us is basic regression testing. We can check our code, but it be not interesting if some basic feature (like a post a topic) wouldn't work -). And of course I'd like to extend basic tests when I extend basic things.
  • United IPS code style. I use PHPStorm and want to see same code format everywhere (in IPS and my code). Now I can't tune my IDE for totally support your style because from file to file it is different. You can do it in several ways - from creating style format file to creating autolinter in your cvs system. Please, dont't forget to share your style rules before =). Or may be you just apply PSR-2?
  • Improved caching system. Sound simple - same incoming params to block/app/etc returns the same result (it worked only when params dont income in the middle of the func). And that's all. May be we can create some additional flag for mark classes, which support that type of caching. Any way..
  • Using different DB for read and write. For people, who has master-slave replications and who want to improve the speed by reading from slave. It simple and worked perfect! And all neccesary tools already has in current IPS version. No extra pain.

Support working as a cluster (on multiple nodes) from the box?

Our community in the cloud environment is load-balanced and set up this way. The "nodes" are transparent to the end user and administrator, however, and we do not attempt to provide statistics on a per-node basis (it is irrelevant to the functionality). In other words, cluster support is already there

United IPS code style. I use PHPStorm and want to see same code format everywhere (in IPS and my code). Now I can't tune my IDE for totally support your style because from file to file it is different. You can do it in several ways - from creating style format file to creating autolinter in your cvs system. Please, dont't forget to share your style rules before =). Or may be you just apply PSR-2?

We have style guidelines which we try to follow. We are also human, however.

Using different DB for read and write.

The software also already supports this. We used to use it on our community in the cloud environment until recently, but all you have to do is define the right additional settings in conf_global.php to enable this, and ensure the constant \IPS\READ_WRITE_SEPARATION is set to TRUE (the default). Look in the Db.php database driver class for the settings to define in conf_global.php.

• 2 years later...

For anyone else who doesn't want to trudge through the Db class looking for the reader settings, all you need to do is add these to your config.php file from what I understand 🙂

'sql_read_host' => 'reader_host',
'sql_read_database' => 'reader_db',
'sql_read_user' => 'reader_user',
'sql_read_pass' => 'reader_pass',

There's also host and port too if they're different from the settings already there.

Basically add sql_read_* variables to the array for your reader DB/cluster.