An error occurred (500 Error)

Namo

Support does not want to help me. They want me to buy a server with them.

I have VPS with Plesk and transfer IPS from first Plesk to this VPS. In first dedicated server forum work good.

On VPS i have error. Support insists that this is a SQL database error. https://octavia.team/ips4.php

I have the latest version of SQL MySQL, v5.5.60. Someone will help me? Support does not want to help me only to persuade me to purchase hosting with them.

500 error.png

sql not.png

To be completely fair support does not cover third party hosting or third party server related issues. 🙂 If the tech determined the 'area of concern' was a server issue then they are not usually able to assist with it, exceptions obviously being their own hosting service. Its not at all like they do not want to help you , its just the issue was likely determined to be outside the scope of support.

If the above does not make sense, simply reply to your ticket and ask for it to be "escalated to Senior Staff and/or Management" for their response on it.

In some circumstances server-level issues will impact our software's ability to function properly. IPS cannot make adjustments to your server hosting environment to bring it within acceptable standards. IPS does not provide server or system administration assistance.

From > https://invisioncommunity.com/legal/standards

As far as I'm aware (a current member of staff will no doubt be able to correct me if I am wrong here) but 'server adjustments' were never part of any standard support.

All I mean really by this is (just for a random example) lets say you were running php4 ( ! ) and you asked them to update php for you,  they would not. 🙂

To the issues in question, as its "peer to peer" support in here:

Do you have any form of support from the host at all ? If in any doubt at all why just ask them, worst they would say is "no!" 🙂

You're getting a not found type error. Does the user 'owning/running' php have sufficient permissions ?

Are you sure you have uploaded all the files ? Not sure: Just upload them again.

Examine the apache error log and any other error logs too, is there anything relevant in those to help ? :smile:

20 hours ago, Namo said:

Support does not want to help me. They want me to buy a server with them.

I have VPS with Plesk and transfer IPS from first Plesk to this VPS. In first dedicated server forum work good.

On VPS i have error. Support insists that this is a SQL database error. https://octavia.team/ips4.php

I have the latest version of SQL MySQL, v5.5.60. Someone will help me? Support does not want to help me only to persuade me to purchase hosting with them.

500 error.png

sql not.png

The SQL error "No such file or directory" usually means your database was not created or imported correctly.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, AndyF said:

support does not cover third party hosting or third party server related issues

Here, it is enough to replace one letter in the code. If the support was more interested in the help and not pressing to buy expensive hosting, it would be nice.

5 hours ago, Namo said:

If the support was more interested in the help and not pressing to buy expensive hosting, it would be nice.

Nice for us, who don't pay them a penny for hosting or support for hosting, yep. Not so nice for them, who would have even more work to do. Maybe we should start a thread saying "it would be nice if support did customizations for us/answerered questions from my members/bought, wrote and posted my Christmas cards for me".

It's not their place to deal with third parties. They don't do it with plugins either. You have to draw the line somewhere and I think it's completely reasonable to say "we deal with things relating to our software and the hosting purchased from us". Yes, it's frustrating when you run into one of these problems, don't know what to do, and then get the response that it's not their area of responsibility, but that doesn't mean it's unfair. And if you're polite to them rather than mentioning several times "support doesn't want to help", you might even get a quick courtesy suggestion about what to do; I know I have in the past 🙂

And none of these things should come as a surprise. Just read the Self Hosting page. 

Self-hosting a community requires an understanding of maintaining an infrastructure that is compatible with our platform and suitable for demanding web applications. 

Do you provide support for server issues?
No - our support coverage for self-hosted plans is limited to issues/guidance with our software only. For problems related to your server, we'll refer you to your host or IT team with more information.

Archived