Sorting forum topics by featured

zenzoidman

I'm not opposed to this idea but I do want to flesh the idea out more with you.  

In any good sorting system, every data point needs to be uniquely sorted.  It needs to have a position that's either before another data point or after another data point.  Are you with me? 

If you sort by featured, you're actually getting two blocs of data. One bloc is Featured; one bloc is Not Featured.  Even though we can sort the Featured bloc before or after the Not Featured bloc, how do you sort the individual topics within Featured? You don't have any sorting rules within the featured topics. 

I think a more useful suggestion is to filter topics.  

And filter by not just Featured, but:

- Featured

- Pinned

- Polls

- Popular

- Picked

And If IPS were smart and forward thinking, they would let devs be able to hook into topic filter so the marketplace could build in filters for things like:

- started by a staff member

- topics with 0 posts

- Q&A with no answers

- expiring polls

I think this would be especially useful in a format like Fluid Forum where things tend to get jumbled together. 

41 minutes ago, Joel R said:

I think a more useful suggestion is to filter topics.  

And filter by not just Featured, but:

- Featured

- Pinned

- Polls

- Popular

- Picked

And If IPS were smart and forward thinking, they would let devs be able to hook into topic filter so the marketplace could build in filters for things like:

- started by a staff member

- topics with 0 posts

Filter criteria like polls are available already. 

custom-sort.jpg.c123eea7cacf6c7308f5678009892a16.jpg

Archived