Patreon Integration

The new version is now available:

• Fixed an issue while updating patreon pledges
  • Fixed ACP access rights
  • More verbose status report on patreon member ACP page
  • Added new version indicator on application page for future updates

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, @batarjal. I've installed the May 5 update, but am still encountering some issues. One is that in the Patreon widget that invites people to become a member, it's listing an outdated current number of patrons (it was outdated both before and after I installed the update). Also, in the ACP, every member listed in the Patreon section has their status indicated as "api error".

I have a "test user" account set up that I believe I gave you access to several months ago, if that will help?

Thank you, in advance!

Hi @Kim Werker!

Your API key failed to renew. Everything should work again if you update the 'Refresh Token' in the Patreon settings.
This should happen automatically. The issue occured a while ago so I can't see in the logs what went wrong. If it happens again let me know, maybe I can see something in the logs then.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@batarjal

Bug:

• Former patrons seem to keep their patron groups forever.

Reproduction Steps:

• Member has unsubscribed from Patreon, but still has active account link between forums and Patreon. "Updated" field is blank.
  • "Remove assignment" setting is enabled.
  • "Former Patron Group" setting is blank.
  • On the "Connected Patreon Members" page, click "Update Pledges" and then "Assign groups".

Expected result:

• Member has their Patreon forum group removed.

Actual result:

• Member is completely unchanged. Still keeps their patreon group(s) in core_members.mgroup_others even when we know they have no active pledge.
  • patreonintegration_user.tier_usergroups seems to never be recalculated, even when the user is updated and we know they have no active patreon pledge.
  • patreonintegration_user.tier_usergroups seems to even keep group assignments from groups that are no longer configured to be used at all with patreon integration.

Edited by Kitty Davis

Any plans on adding multiple goal support?

Yes, this will be in the next version.

@Kitty Davis

I guess both issues are related to a broken Patreon connection. Can you verify if the forum is still connected to Patreon? Just save the Patreon settings in the ACP again.
If it doesn't save you have to update the API keys and it should fix the issues.

Either way it would be nice if you could have a look in the 'System Logs' to see any patreon related issues and send them to me via PM, maybe I can see why the connection broke there.

The next version of the plugin will give a more visible warning if the connection to Patreon can't be estabilished anymore for some reason.

patreonintegration_user.tier_usergroups seems to never be recalculated, even when the user is updated and we know they have no active patreon pledge.

Does the system know that there is no active pledge? You can verify on the 'Connected Patreon Members' Page in the ACP, it should say 'no active pledge' in the Status column.

patreonintegration_user.tier_usergroups seems to even keep group assignments from groups that are no longer configured to be used at all with patreon integration.

Usergroup assignments are only removed if a user disconnects from patreon or does not have a pledge anymore - Not when you edit the tier assignment settings. I'll change that in the next update.

Edited by batarjal
4 hours ago, batarjal said:

I guess both issues are related to a broken Patreon connection. Can you verify if the forum is still connected to Patreon?

[...]

Does the system know that there is no active pledge? You can verify on the 'Connected Patreon Members' Page in the ACP, it should say 'no active pledge' in the Status column.

We did have a separate issue where the connection to Patreon broke, and I had to manually update the tokens. I only noticed when I went into the log. You're right that it definitely needs to make patreon connect failures more visible.

That's a different issue to this, though.

Even after fixing the connect issues, manually re-running updates, etc, we still had people listed as "no active pledge" on the members list (app=patreonintegration&module=settings&controller=member) being members of the patreon group. Re-running the updates several times kept them listed as "no active pledge" but never removed them from the patreon group.

• 3 months later...

Hello @Kitty Davis

Sorry for the late response.
Did you have the patreon account who owns the campaign also linked using the 'Connect Patreon Account' menu? There has been an issue that would invalidate the campaign connection.
This will be fixed in the next version.
I also added a 'remove all' option in the ACP which will remove all members without pledges from the patreon user groups - This should help for your second issue.

Full change list:

• added carousel to show multiple goals in goal box
  • added patreon status and options to "account settings" tab to integrate better with other linked accounts
  • showing connected patron user name on patreon connect page
  • showing notification in the ACP when the patreon campaign connection is invalid
  • added settings to remove members with no active pledge from group, even if they have not been added by the patreon plugin
  • fixed some issues with renewing access tokens
  • fixed renew issue when linking the same patreon account in the ACP and in the user settings
  • added plugin update notifications

I'll upload the new version later this week.

• 1 month later...

@Maxxius
It works.

The major outstanding issue is that you have to run a manual update every once in awhile to fully remove people who are former but not current patreon subscribers. If you don't run this manual update they'll continue to be treated as active patrons.
Historically you may also have to go into its settings and update its key every once in awhile. Though I haven't had to do that for awhile.
Other than the odd manual update requirement, it works pretty well. It is definitely easier than handling all of the role sync manually for all users.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:56 PM, Kitty Davis said:

@Maxxius
It works.

The major outstanding issue is that you have to run a manual update every once in awhile to fully remove people who are former but not current patreon subscribers. If you don't run this manual update they'll continue to be treated as active patrons.

I didn't know that is still an issue - Did you try activating the 'Remove all' setting in the ACP?

Hi,

Love the plugin, but when users connect to Patreon the message "Do you support ___ on Patreon?" uses my real name rather than the Patreon page name and I can't change that.

Also in the Admin CP in "Campaign" it says my real name rather than the campaign name.

Hi @batarjal - just setting up an Invision community for my site and interested in linking my Patreon account, specifically to give patrons a special badge or something as a status marker to differentiate them from other members. I assume this plugin/app can do that yeah? I see that I can add them to a group, and surely Invision then lets you denote different member groups in different ways visually?

I don't really want to show targets or leaderboards or anything as I don't like to aggressively push that, but I see that you can prompt people to become a donor when they create an account which would be good.

If you're able to confirm (and maybe point me in the right direction with the visual indicator thing for Patrons) I'd be happy to sign up ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

On 4/18/2020 at 1:06 PM, Scott Emerton said:

Hi @batarjal - just setting up an Invision community for my site and interested in linking my Patreon account, specifically to give patrons a special badge or something as a status marker to differentiate them from other members. I assume this plugin/app can do that yeah? I see that I can add them to a group, and surely Invision then lets you denote different member groups in different ways visually?

I don't really want to show targets or leaderboards or anything as I don't like to aggressively push that, but I see that you can prompt people to become a donor when they create an account which would be good.

If you're able to confirm (and maybe point me in the right direction with the visual indicator thing for Patrons) I'd be happy to sign up ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Hello @Scott Emerton,
you can assign members to groups according to which patreon tier they pledged to using my plugin. IPB allows to show the groups next to the users post (like here +Clients) and you can also give custom icons for the group.

15 hours ago, batarjal said:

Hello @Scott Emerton,
you can assign members to groups according to which patreon tier they pledged to using my plugin. IPB allows to show the groups next to the users post (like here +Clients) and you can also give custom icons for the group.

OK thanks - have purchased and installed. The brief installation instructions left me a bit lost looking for where to set up, but I found a question on this thread asking the same and tracked it down.

On 4/18/2020 at 6:07 AM, Kirill N said:

Hi,

Love the plugin, but when users connect to Patreon the message "Do you support ___ on Patreon?" uses my real name rather than the Patreon page name and I can't change that.

Also in the Admin CP in "Campaign" it says my real name rather than the campaign name.

Yes I also have that issue. Is there a work-around @batarjal?

One other issue I have is that my patrons come in as "no active pledge" despite definitely having one in Patreon. I think the issue is that I don't have donation tiers or anything.

I see historically there's a few similar issues but no clear remedy.

On 4/18/2020 at 1:34 AM, Kirill N said:

Found another issue: "Don't assign groups" doesn't work for extra groups. I select "Don't assign groups, click save, it saves, but when I go to "Group Mappings" again, it's still unchecked.

Hi @batarjal, is there a fix to this? I have to manually change the group for every new patron, which makes the plugin useless.

On 4/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, Scott Emerton said:

Yes I also have that issue. Is there a work-around @batarjal?

One other issue I have is that my patrons come in as "no active pledge" despite definitely having one in Patreon. I think the issue is that I don't have donation tiers or anything.

I see historically there's a few similar issues but no clear remedy.

Just bumping this one as I have a handful of eager patrons chasing me and would like to finalise this if possible.

@Scott Emerton, @Kirill N

You can change the  in the 'Do you support ___ on Patreon' translation: ACP > Customization > Languages > Translate > search for 'patreon_connect_link_description' and replace the %s with any text you like.

Found another issue: "Don't assign groups" doesn't work for extra groups. I select "Don't assign groups, click save, it saves, but when I go to "Group Mappings" again, it's still unchecked.

That setting removes the selected secondary groups, it is unchecked after reloading but there are also no secondary groups selected anymore so they won't be assigned.

I didn't consider having no tiers. I'll add a setting for assigning groups to users that have pledged but didn't get in any tiers in the next version.