Patreon Integration

With this plugin site owners can connect a Patreon campaign to their forum allowing members to link their Patreon accounts. Connected members can gain access rights and be shown in top lists helping the monetization of your site.

overview.thumb.png.6dc501b3403f5181339bbcdfda3d5853.png

Features

• All campaign data will be pulled automatically - The ACP allows easily to assign Patreon tiers to user groups.
  • The campaign image, description text and join button can be shown in a widget.
  • Members can link and unlink their accounts to Patreon form the user menu Settings > Connect Patreon Account.
  • Linked members can be assigned to user groups according to their pledge tier.
  • If a member changes their pledge or unlinks their account the user group assignments can be removed automatically.
  • Widgets for current goal, top patrons and new patrons.
  • Widgets show join campaign link for members that are not already a patron.
  • Pledges, goals and campaign information will be automatically updated in the background to stay up to date.

Buy it now

Patreon does not support "Login with Patreon":

While many people are familiar with OAuth from things like “Login with Facebook”, it’s important to note that Patreons Implementation of OAuth is not intended to serve as an authentication layer for third party services, but rather as a way to “Connect” one's Patreon user details to a preexisting account on third party services.

Restated simply, don’t use Patreon OAuth as the primary login mechanism for your site [ ... ] Doing otherwise will create very serious security vulnerabilities on your site.

https://www.patreon.com/portal/start/oauth-explained

If that changes with future API versions I'll add that functionality to the plugin.

The new API is still in beta so I'm using the old one - But that one will be available for a while and I'll update the plugin in time for the change.

Edited by batarjal
53 minutes ago, batarjal said:

It's both, the site owner links the campaign and members can link their accounts to get group assignments and top lists depending on their pledge tier. Members can't link their own campaigns if they have any though.

Help me to understand, if a member on my site links their patreon, how do I get paid?

4 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

Help me to understand, if a member on my site links their patreon, how do I get paid?

You don’t. Patreon doesn’t offer any functionality like that. So a plugin also cannot offer it. 

The point of a Patreon connection is to have the IPS Suite as advertising and fulfillment platform, e.g. where you push your active patrons into user groups so they can use that member group to download patron-only stuff, use patron-only forums, get ad-free use and so on. 

1 minute ago, opentype said:

You don’t. Patreon doesn’t offer any functionality like that. So a plugin also cannot offer it. 

The point of a Patreon connection is to have the IPS Suite as advertising and fulfillment platform, e.g. where you push your active patrons into user groups so they can use that member group to download patron-only stuff, use patron-only forums, get ad-free use and so on. 

Right, as a site owner. Why not cut out the middleman and sell a site subscription using IP commerce?

8 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

Why not cut out the middleman and sell a site subscription using IP commerce?

Nothing wrong with that per se. There are pros and cons for using an external service vs. your own store. 

For one of my sites, I recently started to offer both. You can become a yearly Patron on my site through Commerce or a monthly patron through Patreon. This plugin would allow me to link the two for more convenience on my and the user’s side. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.3a66ea4721daf68eca8b6d27d3564981.png

On 1/15/2019 at 8:15 PM, batarjal said:

Yes. Search for 'goal' in Themes > Edit HTML and CSS and remove "{lang="patreon_goal_complete" sprintf="$goal['amount_cents'] / 100, " from the goal template.

So here I tried to do that and I get the error you can see in the image. 

Also in the widget on the website, it only shows the 1st out of 4 goals, any way to show the second not completed goal?

Thanks a lot in advanced!

www.patreon.com/awg to see the goals we have, only showing the 1st one 

image.png.7ec576106aa9395cc7d67128a1ce5792.png

Currently only one active goal will be shown. I'll add a setting to pick the goal for each widget in a future version.

Sorry, about the template. Just paste this one into the goal-template, this should work:

{{if $showWidgetTitle}}<h3 class="ipsWidget_title ipsType_reset">{lang="patreon_current_goal"}</h3>{{endif}}
<div class="patreonGoal">
    {{if isset($goal['title']) != '' &&  $goal['title'] != ''}}
    <span class="ipsType_large">{lang="patreon_goal_title" sprintf="$goal['title']"}</span><br>
    {{endif}}
    <div>
        <strong class="ipsType_large">{$goal['completed_percentage']}% complete</strong>
    </div>
    <div class="ipsProgressBar ipsProgressBar_animated">
        <div class='ipsProgressBar_progress' style="width: {$goal['completed_percentage']}%"></div>
    </div>
    {$goal['description']|raw}
    {{if $campaign->getMember('title') == null && $showPledgeButton}}
    <div class="ipsType_reset ipsType_center"><a class="ipsButton ipsButton_small ipsButton_important" href="{$campaign->joinUrl()}">{lang="patreon_join"}</a></div>
    {{endif}}
</div>
  • 1 month later...

Hi! I've just got my community up and running, with the plugin all set up. I've had some users connect Patreon no problem. One said it took a couple of times refreshing the site for the connection to show up.

But one user reported the following:

I successfully created a forum account (obviously), but when I went to connect my Patreon account, I got the following error message:

https://www.patreon.com/oauth2/errors?error=invalid_request&error_description=Mismatching+redirect+URI.
{
  "error": "invalid_request", 
  "error_description": "Mismatching redirect URI."
}

I am logged into Patreon. I turned off all ad-blockers and things that could be interfering, but I still cannot connect. I using Chrome on a PC laptop running Windows 10. I will keep trying...

Any ideas?

And thank you! This plugin is what made me decide to use Invision for our community. So far, it's all amazing!

ETA: I haven't upgraded to 4.4 yet.

Edited by Kim Werker