YouTube thumbnails don't show on social media

andrewbiggs

My forum has a lot of YouTube videos embedded in many topics. The problem I have is that the YouTube thumbnails does not show when I share a video topic to social media (see screenshot attached).

Here is a link to a typical forum topic with embedded YouTube video: https://abig.gs/2PxHQEi

Question: How do I get the video thumbnail to show up when I share the video topic on social media ?

Screenshot 2018-10-17 at 15.32.02.png

There is no function for that. A YouTube video is just an iframe in a post. The topic page, which is used for social media sharing information, doesn’t know anything about the external content. 

You would have to hire a developer to create a plugin that …

• reads the forum post content,
  • looks for (the first?) embedded video,
  • then crawls the external video page,
  • extracts the thumbnail URLs
  • inject the thumbnail URL as og:image into the forum topic page

Here a related issue:

When we link to our forum on social media, Facebook or Twitter for example, we also get a missing thumbnail (see attached screenshot).

Question: Can we upload a specific file somewhere in Admin panel or elsewhere, so our forum logo can be seen when we post on social networks like Facebook?

Many thanks for advise!

Screenshot 2018-10-17 at 23.14.40.png

3 minutes ago, andrewbiggs said:

Here a related issue:

When we link to our forum on social media, Facebook or Twitter for example, we also get a missing thumbnail (see attached screenshot).

Question: Can we upload a specific file somewhere in Admin panel or elsewhere, so our forum logo can be seen when we post on social networks like Facebook?

This is in your theme settings. Go to Logo and upload a sharer image.

Archived