Community

loccom

Google Updates, anyone affected?

1 hour ago, opentype said:

I run 3 community sites currently. All 3 show an upward trend over the last months.

Glad to hear you have an upward trend because I’m not seeing that. My oldest niche community which is on SSL, using whatever possible to speed things up, and is really only using google ads is taking a beating. The other ones are down but not as much. It’s pretty amazing to lose now 40% traffic, enough to want to get out this game sometimes.

Another new thing I recently noticed was my site using cloudflare’s ssl certificate rather than the one I was using with Comodo or free SSL with WHM almost about the time this started happening and I wonder if that has any affect.

It does seem like thin content is now playing a role so maybe noindexing topics with no replies and profile pages with no activity would be a good idea. 

The problem really is that you have to guess. Google gives you no tools to tell you what’s wrong effectively. I’ve got no real warnings in webmestar tools, no duplicate content, server errors, etc. Very frustrating.

Might need to think about archiving old content and reducing page count for low ranking fruit (pages)...

Edited by AlexWebsites

7 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

The problem really is that you have to guess. Google gives you no tools to tell you what’s wrong effectively. I’ve got no real warnings in webmestar tools, no duplicate content, server errors, etc. Very frustrating.

Just like you, Google is focused on self and their members. You need to keep that mind and stop blaming them for your troubles. (It will not get anything done.)

It hurts. I hear you. I know how you feel - believe me.

You NEED to stay on top of what Google has to say about search, new projects, services, etc.

You NEED to stay on top of how technology is changing and how that may affect your traffic. eg. Alexa, Google HOme, et

You NEED to improve E-A-T. (The hardest one yet.)

You NEED to be proactive. ie. Don't wait until something happens ... focus on improving quality and user experience everyday. 

Right now, you feel totally lost .... because you are not sure about a lot of things, you have lots of questions, did you do enough?, etc.

It's definitely not easy. But, the more you are on top of the above items the more peace of mind you will have. 

Start learning.

Edited by princeton

2 hours ago, princeton said:

Just like you, Google is focused on self and their members. You need to keep that mind and stop blaming them for your troubles. (It will not get anything done.)

It hurts. I hear you. I know how you feel - believe me.

You NEED stay on top of what Google has to say about search, new projects, services, etc.

You NEED stay on top of how technology is changing and how that may affect your traffic. eg. Alexa, Google HOme, et

You NEED to improve E-A-T. (The hardest one yet.)

You NEED to be proactive. ie. Don't wait until something happens ... focus on improving quality and user experience everyday. 

Right now, you feel totally lost .... because you are not sure about a lot of things, you have lots of questions, did you do enough?, etc.

It's definitely not easy. But, the more you are on top of the above items the more peace of mind you will have. 

Start learning.

I appreciate the insight and can't say I feel totally lost, mostly just sharing to benefit others.....I'm not sure how much more I can learn in 10 years, constantly adjusting, updating, improving, etc., lol...  I'm aware of all of your suggestions and it's on every SEO forum and blog out there. Yes, everything is changing and content and authoritativeness is key. However, it's a big recent drop fast, which one of my sites is experiencing, which also struck me as odd. There are many sites affected. Just read all the webmaster forums.  

8 hours ago, princeton said:

I think a lot of BIG BOARDs got hit hard - even smaller ones. This is especially true for any sites that niche on health, education, or finance.

A lot of political websites were hit hard by Google too which came as no surprise just days before the election. Google boasted about targeting demographics in 2016 and turning out voters to support the left. Quite a few sites are reporting 80 percent traffic loss. They say content is king, but that too has changed. Now content that aligns to Google's political bias is king. 

Edited by Christforums

6 hours ago, Christforums said:

A lot of political websites were hit hard by Google too which came as no surprise just days before the election. Google boasted about targeting demographics in 2016 and turning out voters to support the left. Quite a few sites are reporting 80 percent traffic loss. They say content is king, but that too has changed. Now content that aligns to Google's political bias is king. 

Oh come on 😂

17 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

Glad to hear you have an upward trend because I’m not seeing that. My oldest niche community which is on SSL, using whatever possible to speed things up, and is really only using google ads is taking a beating. The other ones are down but not as much. It’s pretty amazing to lose now 40% traffic, enough to want to get out this game sometimes.

Another new thing I recently noticed was my site using cloudflare’s ssl certificate rather than the one I was using with Comodo or free SSL with WHM almost about the time this started happening and I wonder if that has any affect.

It does seem like thin content is now playing a role so maybe noindexing topics with no replies and profile pages with no activity would be a good idea. 

Might need to think about archiving old content and reducing page count for low ranking fruit (pages)...

we have forum content going back to 2001. sometimes wonder if google does an organic keyword purge to remove old posts from its index.

12 hours ago, Christforums said:

You have no idea the algorithm they use nor the criteria they must abide by, government regulations, about spreading fake political news, regardless of it being left or right. Facebook and Twitter came under scrutiny after the last major election about the spreading of fake news like social wildfire. I'd be willing to bet Google is limiting its exposure, and I'd bet it's roughly equal. 

Now, your wild claim that they are only censoring the right, where are your facts? Until you have some, stop spreading fake news! 

And that's all I'll say on the topic of politics. ✌

A couple of years ago Google really started concentrating on local organic results. They announced this many times along with page changes and how ads are displayed plus how paid advertisements effect the search results.

Search term link below
google switches to local organic results

and it even gets a bit more simpler than this
https://moz.com/blog/google-organic-clicks-shifting-to-paid

Around this time and a bit before you'll notice that's when everyone started seeing changes in their results. So basically if you wanted at this point for your site to be seen using universal organic terms you'd need to resort to a descriptive site name to pull results and content to match or pay to play because we all know that's what this about.. Cash is KING!

@Christforums
Yes, Google is a politically motivated company and have always been, same with yahoo. This is no hidden secret and if it's the first anyone's hearing of this you may want to do some research starting with the latest leaked Sundar Pichai video. Google has had many many years of known bias. Google and their employees are nothing but a political movement.

https://pjmedia.com/election/bombshell-report-90-percent-of-google-employee-political-contributions-went-to-democrats/
https://www.businessinsider.com/google-staff-love-donating-to-the-democrats-govpredict-2018-9
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/24/google-employees-are-funding-california-democrats-in-midterms.html
https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Google-exec-stands-by-sentiment-in-deleted-Tweet-13293504.php

Edited by DesignzShop

50 minutes ago, DesignzShop said:

A couple of years ago Google really started concentrating on local organic results. They announced this many times along with page changes and how ads are displayed plus how paid advertisements effect the search results.

Search term link below
google switches to local organic results

and it even gets a bit more simpler than this
https://moz.com/blog/google-organic-clicks-shifting-to-paid

Around this time and a bit before you'll notice that's when everyone started seeing changes in their results. So basically if you wanted at this point for your site to be seen using universal organic terms you'd need to resort to a descriptive site name to pull results and content to match or pay to play because we all know that's what this about.. Cash is KING!

@Christforums
Yes, Google is a politically motivated company and have always been, same with yahoo. This is no hidden secret and if it's the first anyone's hearing of this you may want to do some research starting with the latest leaked Sundar Pichai video. Google has had many many years of known bias. Google and their employees are nothing but a political movement.

https://pjmedia.com/election/bombshell-report-90-percent-of-google-employee-political-contributions-went-to-democrats/
https://www.businessinsider.com/google-staff-love-donating-to-the-democrats-govpredict-2018-9
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/24/google-employees-are-funding-california-democrats-in-midterms.html
https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Google-exec-stands-by-sentiment-in-deleted-Tweet-13293504.php

Yup, recent legislature in California subjects data located on a server in the state of California to a standard of "fact checking" or "hate speech" etc. Amazing that nobody questions the standard by which something is considered true, false, or hateful. For the most part what I hear by others is that the state has the right to infringe on speech and set the standard by which anything may be said publicly.

What is obvious is that the 1st amendment means little in the state of California, a company or individual could lose everything from frivolous lawsuits while a case is being escalated up to the Supreme Court.

It really comes as no surprise that tech companies located in Silicon Valley are adopting California state law.

Edited by Christforums

1 minute ago, Christforums said:

Yup, recent legislature in California subjects data located on a server in the state of California to a standard of "fact checking" or "hate speech" etc. Amazing that nobody questions the standard by which something is considered true, false, or hateful. For the most part what I hear by others is that the state has the right to impede on speech and set the standard by which anything may be said publicly.

What is obvious is that the 1st amendment means little in the state of California, a company or individual could lose everything from frivolous lawsuits while a case is being escalated up to the Supreme Court.

It really comes as no surprise that tech companies located in Silicon Valley are adopting California state law.

California still can't violate your first amendment rights. It may be a journey to get relief through a higher decision but that's exactly what they count on, the normal citizen to not have enough resources to fight something like that all the way to the top.. Most of the time however a local judge will rule on constitutionality, most of the time you'll win. Just because a local law says you can't swear in public doesn't mean it's unconstitutional to swear in public.

23 minutes ago, DesignzShop said:

California still can't violate your first amendment rights. It may be a journey to get relief through a higher decision but that's exactly what they count on, the normal citizen to not have enough resources to fight something like that all the way to the top.. Most of the time however a local judge will rule on constitutionality, most of the time you'll win. Just because a local law says you can't swear in public doesn't mean it's unconstitutional to swear in public.

This is the kinda thing I'm expecting to see more of and why I think a site owner should carefully choose a hosting company while keeping in consideration the state laws in which it is located: 

https://www.dailywire.com/news/37760/lifesitenews-threatened-its-web-host-company-paul-bois

Again, it comes as no surprise that Google, Facebook, etc are implementing Californian state legislature.

And while I hear you about California not being able to violate your first amendment they can certainly expose an individual or company to frivolous lawsuits. Recently CA tried to pass a bill that would make it illegal to profit from an opposing view which was contrary to the left's beloved gender identity politics.

I expect to see a lot more of what has happened to LifeSiteNews in the future.

6 hours ago, Aiwa said:

You have no idea the algorithm they use nor the criteria they must abide by, government regulations, about spreading fake political news, regardless of it being left or right. Facebook and Twitter came under scrutiny after the last major election about the spreading of fake news like social wildfire. I'd be willing to bet Google is limiting its exposure, and I'd bet it's roughly equal. 

Now, your wild claim that they are only censoring the right, where are your facts? Until you have some, stop spreading fake news! 

And that's all I'll say on the topic of politics. ✌

You stated the above. You also stated that one should stop spreading fake news. I only questioned the standard by which Google or another company decides what is fake, hateful etc.

1 hour ago, Aiwa said:

Can the topic stay on topic and leave out any assumed underlying politics on how the search engines work? Yes or No question....

I don't think anyone comes to these forums to read about politics... 

Obviously you don't want to address the standard by which a company such as Google basis content to be fake or hateful nor the politics of the state which Google resides.

As to whether anyone is actually interested in the underlying politics which may govern the standard and policies by which Google operates I and another were interested. But I'll refrain from the general chat chat. It is common for someone unwilling to entertain another perspective to want to infringe upon the speech of others.

Edited by Christforums

3 hours ago, Christforums said:

It is common for someone unwilling to entertain another perspective to want to infringe upon the speech of others

Excuse me? If you want to debate Google politics, do it with Google. How do you think any political debate on these forums could impact Google?  

I'm here to help others with their IPS Communities. I'm not here to listen to political banter EITHER direction. If I wanted that, I'd still be on Facebook and Twitter. My choice to abstain from any political debate is my choice, for my reasons, those unwilling to entertain another style of living always want to infringe on the lives of others.

I'm more than happy to simply place you on ignore here so you can continue your chat. Just don't expect me to chime in on any of your topics, I won't see them! 

On 11/5/2018 at 9:16 PM, AlexWebsites said:

we have minus -38% traffic in comparison to last year same dates ! (website has had steady stats for 13 years!) ! 

we are in the health / parenting/ education niche in greece .....   had a huge increase  in September only for it to drop heavily in the last 2 months now ! 

EXACTLY SAME graph as in the article. 

is there a plug in to organize the thin content easily  ?    .... we are categorized from google as a reference site, as i am told .  does that matter?   

we will take a quick look at our page load issues for mobile (65% of users use mobile) for a start!