SJ77

9 hours ago, newbie LAC said:

\applications\downloads\widgets\topSubmitters.php

Order by

'files DESC, rating DESC',

where

files is COUNT(file_id) AS files

rating is AVG(file_rating) as rating

So to translate this into plain english, Does this mean it sorts first on file count and second on average rating?

Means my statement above cannot be true? low ratings would not enter into the top?

11 hours ago, newbie LAC said:

Files with reviews

Example

user1 has uploaded 2 files and got 2 reviews (1 star for 1st and 1 star for 2nd)

user2 has uploaded 2 files and got 1 review (4 stars)

Result

submiters.jpg.d6c636f1d052b65a7baf6fddd23314bc.jpg

Well on the one hand, My question was answered well. Thank you. :biggrin:

Now that it's clear what is happening, I object to the logic.  IPS.. come on, a top submitter should never be a member with lousy reviews above a member with GREAT reviews.

This is failed logic being applied here.

Just look at the optics of this.  The average user doesn't have access to read the SQL nor does the average user understand it even if they could.

The customer sees:  user1 with crap ratings ABOVE user2 with good ratings. :huh:

I can't possibly be the only one who notices how ridiculous this is.

My users are asking about this all the time.  Is there any interest in getting this fixed?

2 hours ago, SJ77 said:

I can't possibly be the only one who notices how ridiculous this is.

It’s just a matter of what you want to show. The ordering is apparently based on “most contributions”, which is by no means ridiculous. “Top Contributors” = most-active. Nothing wrong with showing “most” of something. Most-viewed, most-liked, most posts in the forums. Whatever. 

Overall rating is of course also interesting, but that makes little sense in a time-based view. “Best-rated this week” would be rather meaningless. For time-based lists, counting the files does actually make sense. Maybe the easiest fix is to change the language string for the headline, so people don’t confuse “top” with “quality” and understand that it is about “quantity”. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 11:46 AM, opentype said:

It’s just a matter of what you want to show. The ordering is apparently based on “most contributions”, which is by no means ridiculous. “Top Contributors” = most-active. Nothing wrong with showing “most” of something. Most-viewed, most-liked, most posts in the forums. Whatever. 

Then don’t put stars, put count of files submitted. Putting stars indicates that the ranking is based on stars. Seeing less star rated author over a higher rated author is ridiculous and confusing. 

If it really is most active show the relevant supporting data so people know what they are supposed to do to enter the list. Otherwise what is the point? I don’t need useless space fillers. My site real-estate is valuable.  

Archived