Why did IPS attempt to charge my CC without my consent?

openfire

14 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

No, he's suggesting that you raise a ticket with support to get it looked into properly.

I guess you haven't received this email from IPS yet:

We wanted to let you know that one or more of the purchases on your account are going to expire soon.

Since we have your card details on file, we will attempt to charge this card for these renewals.

Which they did to me, and they will (apparently) to you and everyone else with an expiring license, whether you consent or not.

This belongs in feedback.

It’s not a secret by the way. It’s a subscription product. You get an invoice after “x” months with no appropriate payment methods on file or it is charged automatically with appropriate payment methods on file. An email is sent to you in advance, telling you that. Here is an example:

865759697_Bildschirmfoto2018-10-10um11_02_50.thumb.png.5d826713c9436bb2424b796130a54937.png

Just now, openfire said:

Yes, I have in the past when I kept my card details on file....it's what is expected, and is noted when you add your card details:

image.thumb.png.5b26e5b040d5e73b053c14e9c8566619.png

As I don't currently have card details on file, they can't do this to me.

Tell you what though...ignore what we are suggesting to you, and continue on your current path of moaning and ranting in here.....I'm done. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, openfire said:

Wait‽ So so you got the mail that tells you your card will be charged and then when exactly that happens you complain? You could have removed your card before it was charged. 

Just now, opentype said:

Wait‽ So so you got the mail that tells you your card will be charged and then when exactly that happens you complain? You could have removed your card before it was charged. 

I noticed the email after they already attempted to charge my card. I have never subscribed or opted into automatic renewals. It was always a voluntary actioin in the past.

Hi,

If you opt to store your card details on file when making a purchase we will charge subsequent renewal fees automatically. We always send out an email 5 days before any charge though to let you know it's coming up and to give you an opportunity to take the card details off file if you don't want that to happen. You can do that yourself in the client area or just reply to the email and we'd have sorted it out.

It looks like in your case the transaction didn't go through so you won't have been charged.

It isn't a new practice - it's been this way for years. But it looks like you've only recently added a card on file. Sorry for the confusion, and please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. If you'd prefer to talk privately, you can also open a support ticket.

8 minutes ago, Mark said:

Hi,

If you opt to store your card details on file when making a purchase we will charge subsequent renewal fees automatically. We always send out an email 5 days before any charge though to let you know it's coming up and to give you an opportunity to take the card details off file if you don't want that to happen. You can do that yourself in the client area or just reply to the email and we'd have sorted it out.

It looks like in your case the transaction didn't go through so you won't have been charged.

It isn't a new practice - it's been this way for years. But it looks like you've only recently added a card on file. Sorry for the confusion, and please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. If you'd prefer to talk privately, you can also open a support ticket.

I clicked on " Save this card for future purchases", which does not equate to "automatically bill me when this product expires".

1 hour ago, openfire said:

Are you suggesting that IPS has NOT started to AUTOMATICALLY bill customers for renewals?

As Nathan:

1 hour ago, Nathan Explosion said:

No, he's suggesting that you raise a ticket with support to get it looked into properly.

5 hours ago, openfire said:

I don't see that option. Screenshot?

image.png.bea15ed14e0208f8a7b7cbdd877ee7ab.png

"Save this card for future purchases" is IPS' way of saying bill me automatically on renewals. 🙂

I have already updated that language string on our community to prevent confusion.

Archived