Jump to content

Billing address for subscriptions


Thomas.
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Thomas.,

Recommended Posts

Hi,

It seems that requiresBillingAddress() in IPS\nexus\extensions\nexus\Item\Subscription simply always returns true. Is there a specific reason for this that I may be overlooking? If not, perhaps it's an idea to make it optional just like it is with other non-physical products?

I suppose I could hook the function to change this behaviour for the time being, but I feel like this could benefit other people as well.

Edited by Thomas.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did some research, and essentially this area was hardcoded to "TRUE" because recurring payments (i.e. Billing Agreements for PayPal) require the billing address, and we were seeing a significant number of tickets when the Subscriptions feature was first introduced from people who set Subscriptions to use PayPal for payments, but did not enable the option to require the billing address.

In short, this was done to resolve customer confusion that was coming up shortly after the feature was introduced.

If you use a different payment gateway you may be able to get away with not requiring the address (via a plugin).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm using custom payment method, so I too would like to make address fields not default required. But the best solution for me, will be to change default billing country to one i want, not US. Is it default region hardcoded in JavaScript file or SQL table? Or default region taken from server OS or PHP settings?

 

P.S. It will be nice if default payment/subscription/registration region will be same as default country of your community in general settings if browser cant detect it.

 

 

And another question, is if it's possible to remove requirements for real Name and Surname, because I would like to use manual payment method, and our users most likely will enter not real names, or will use nicknames, because of privacy in their minds.

 

Will appreciate any help.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bfarber said:

I did some research, and essentially this area was hardcoded to "TRUE" because recurring payments (i.e. Billing Agreements for PayPal) require the billing address, and we were seeing a significant number of tickets when the Subscriptions feature was first introduced from people who set Subscriptions to use PayPal for payments, but did not enable the option to require the billing address.

In short, this was done to resolve customer confusion that was coming up shortly after the feature was introduced.

If you use a different payment gateway you may be able to get away with not requiring the address (via a plugin).

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification. Billing agreements is convenient to have but I am willing to sacrifice it in order to not ask my members their real name and address information.

So I guess I'll be making a plugin. :happy:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, kindermix said:

I'm using custom payment method, so I too would like to make address fields not default required. But the best solution for me, will be to change default billing country to one i want, not US. Is it default region hardcoded in JavaScript file or SQL table? Or default region taken from server OS or PHP settings?

 

P.S. It will be nice if default payment/subscription/registration region will be same as default country of your community in general settings if browser cant detect it.

 

 

And another question, is if it's possible to remove requirements for real Name and Surname, because I would like to use manual payment method, and our users most likely will enter not real names, or will use nicknames, because of privacy in their minds.

 

Will appreciate any help.

 

The starting region is generally derived from the browser's HTTP Accept-Language header.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Ramsesx said:

Bought and works fine thanks. If I may add a suggestion, it would be cool if there would be a switch saying "do you want to have a bill" yes / no. If yes is chosen then show the address fields.

Glad to hear that :smile:

Regarding your suggestion, I've been thinking about how I could implement it and will try to do so (manipulating the form itself is going to be quite hacky in this specific case, instead I can add an additional step to the checkout process).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thomas. said:

Regarding your suggestion, I've been thinking about how I could implement it and will try to do so (manipulating the form itself is going to be quite hacky in this specific case, instead I can add an additional step to the checkout process).

Thanks very much, this would be very great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be a pain @Thomas. but I have forced subscription on so everyone has to subscribe (we are a paid community - completely). When they click on subscribe will they still be asked for the display name etc - like this

Account Information

Display Name REQUIRED

Email Address REQUIRED

Password REQUIRED

Confirm Password REQUIRED

 

and then just not bother with the billing address bit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@opentype I think you may have missed the rest of the thread :tongue:

@hippydonna I can confirm that it works for that scenario as well. I am however seeing a small issue when you use the opt-in billing option of the plugin, it requires the user to push the Continue button twice. This does not occur when opt-in billing is disabled or when purchasing a non-forced subscription, so that must be why I missed it in my testing. I will investigate and release a fix for that.

But all in all it will work just fine. :smile:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...