Invision Suite cannot run on new host

Davyc

I was keen to transfer my IPS site away from 1and1 and after doing some digging, as one does, I found what I thought was a perfect host; very highly rated and the specifications looked really good for a cloud shared host.  Unfortunately, for whatever reason, IPS suite will not run on their CloudLinux servers in PHP 7+ with crashing.  Switching to PHP 5.6 and it works fine - not an ideal situation as future requirements will need PHP 7+ in order to run the suite.  I have been working with their support team and the following is quote from their lead support agent:

Hello David,

This has been under investigation all day - I do apologise for the delay in getting back to you! Ultimately the problem appears to be that when the site is switched to PHP 7+ that the memory usage sky rockets for seemingly no reason.

There is not too much more we can do at this stage. I'm afraid we have tried everything we can to get the site working for you, I think it either comes down to an incompatibility with the PHP version that CloudLinux offers via the selector or an issue with the invision code causing a loop which swallows the memory.

This does run with Native PHP 7 as I have tested, however unfortunately we cannot leave that active as you would then have the ability to crash the whole server - causing issues for other users too.

Has anyone ever come across anything of this nature before?  It would be interesting to feedback to this host, which I am having to get a refund from as it's not much point staying with them if I cannot run my site.  I forgot to mention that the hosting company is at https://www.krystal.co.uk

:wink:

15 hours ago, Davyc said:

I was keen to transfer my IPS site away from 1and1 and after doing some digging, as one does, I found what I thought was a perfect host; very highly rated and the specifications looked really good for a cloud shared host.  Unfortunately, for whatever reason, IPS suite will not run on their CloudLinux servers in PHP 7+ with crashing.  Switching to PHP 5.6 and it works fine - not an ideal situation as future requirements will need PHP 7+ in order to run the suite.  I have been working with their support team and the following is quote from their lead support agent:

Has anyone ever come across anything of this nature before?  It would be interesting to feedback to this host, which I am having to get a refund from as it's not much point staying with them if I cannot run my site.  I forgot to mention that the hosting company is at https://www.krystal.co.uk

:wink:

I’m with Krystal and using PHP 7.2 on their Tanzanite business hosting, been with them a number of years now with no problems at all, very odd.

Are you running any addons/plugins?

Only a couple of addons were in use, but the problem remained when attempting a clean install.  The installation was proceeding until a point about half way and boom, crashed out.  The support staff even attempted to do it themselves and the only way it would install was by gobbling up massive amounts of memory.  Just for your information I was using their Ruby package.

I understand that talking about other hosting companies is a no no here because of IPS own hosting, but this is an issue that should concern them too if there is any possibility that there is a flaw somewhere in the code - I can't say as I'm not a coder or developer in PHP.  Just seems rather a bermuda triangle kind of mystery lol.

I'm now considering the IPS CIC options, but will have to see how I can budget for it whilst also running other sites.

A1.png.4ae954feca0ba63d3974883e4dae303e.png

1 hour ago, Davyc said:

I understand that talking about other hosting companies is a no no here because of IPS own hosting, but this is an issue that should concern them too if there is any possibility that there is a flaw somewhere in the code - I can't say as I'm not a coder or developer in PHP.  Just seems rather a bermuda triangle kind of mystery lol.

Yes there are third party sites to discuss hosting on as IPS offers their own hosting solutions aka 'Cloud' :smile:

I do see your concern though with usage, may I make a suggestion of you submitting a ticket in the Client Area ? If there is a "concern" (unlikely to be honest) a tech will be able to pass the ticket "up the chain" for further investigation. All I'm really saying here is if there is an issue with the IPS code, it will be looked at.

I'm basing this on when you say 'Support Staff' I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) you meant your host support staff.

As a random sidenote have you tried the 'requirements' script (get it here) on the host in question when its running php7+ ?

1 hour ago, AndyF said:

As a random sidenote have you tried the 'requirements' script (get it here) on the host in question when its running php7+ ?

Yes and I even supplied the host with the script to check if they were suitable.  Yes, I was referring to the host support staff.

Raising a ticket may be an idea but they will not have access to the host, which they may need to see exactly what went wrong.  I must admit to being totally surprised by the inability of a server to work with the IPS suite as there must be tens of thousands of sites out there running IPS and no one has come forward with an issue such as this.

Thanks for your input and responses.

Ticket submitted and response received - as I suspected it cannot be the software otherwise there would be numerous complaints about it; definitely a hosting problem.  I'm looking into moving to CIC budgets permitting.

Thanks again for responding.

Just echoing that comment - I’ve done installs on the current most popular 3 VPS providers in North America (I don’t think it’s a surprise to anyone it’s digital ocean, linode, and vultr, caveating my post that these are not competing with CitC and require a great deal of work and ongoing management to self host on, buyer beware, etc) and they run the software with no issues. This is a host problem. 

18 hours ago, Morgin said:

This is a host problem. 

Absolutely correct, but they do not appear to be able to resolve it, which I find quite remarkable and unusual for an apparent quality host.  I guess everyone has something to learn regardless of how good they appear to be.  I'm being drawn more towards the CIC, but I am checking out additional sources first.

Thanks for your comment and for responding to this topic.

Archived